And also wizards have arcane dampener themselves. The problem is that you need to beat will save with it, which is increased by said cheat buff spells. I think overall spells like this and non hard CC debuffs should have their accuracy buffed by at least 10 to make them more attractive (they are not useless but too situational atm).

Best debuff combo I found to "breach" Thaos is Arkemyrs Dazzling Lights (-14 will vs reflex, which is much lower for him, can substitute with rotfinger gloves which are a bit cheesy) + miasma of dull mindedness (-40 will, graze is enough) + arcane dampener. Can throw a weaken effect into the mix as well.  But this takes moderate time to cast. He's completely helpless vs will attacks after you land the combo though.

Edited by MadDemiurg

And also wizards have arcane dampener themselves. The problem is that you need to beat will save with it, which is increased by said cheat buff spells. I think overall spells like this and non hard CC debuffs should have their accuracy buffed by at least 10 to make them more attractive (they are not useless but too situational atm).

Best debuff combo I found to "breach" Thaos is Arkemyrs Dazzling Lights (-14 will vs reflex, which is much lower for him, can substitute with rotfinger gloves which are a bit cheesy) + miasma of dull mindedness (-40 will, graze is enough) + arcane dampener. Can throw a weaken effect into the mix as well.  But this takes moderate time to cast. He's completely helpless vs will attacks after you land the combo though.

I've run a quick test vs tutorial wolves .. Wanted to check if zealous focus and sworn enemy would up the chance to deprive the unworty will check by 6 + 15 accuracy ..  (could maybe get more from racial wood elf // fighting spirit human ) But there was NO will check displayed in combat log ..  Think the talent might be AUTOHIT :) . Hovering over ability says it targets will .. Maybe is just bugged to autohit ..

Info card doesn't mention anything about vs will either.. It says it suspends buffs no buts no maybes .. Uber paladins :)

http://i.imgur.com/VIIEVbn.jpg

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

It says attacks will on the tooltip on the left of your screenshot though :p. I think this goes into the bug section (nobody cared enough to test it lol). Either the talent or the tooltip are bugged. Personally I think dispels in general should either attack will with increased accuracy or do a concentration check (that would be a new mechanic that is not used for any other abilities however).

Should be quite useful for the Thaos fight though in its current state, at least if you didn't dump int.

Edited by MadDemiurg

I've run a quick test vs tutorial wolves .. Wanted to check if zealous focus and sworn enemy would up the chance to deprive the unworty will check by 6 + 15 accuracy ..  (could maybe get more from racial wood elf // fighting spirit human ) But there was NO will check displayed in combat log ..  Think the talent might be AUTOHIT :) . Hovering over ability says it targets will .. Maybe is just bugged to autohit ..

Info card doesn't mention anything about vs will either.. It says it suspends buffs no buts no maybes .. Uber paladins :)

http://i.imgur.com/VIIEVbn.jpg

PoE Wiki says it has Will check though.

seriously ? ..  Wiki is open - not run by Obsidian - everything is on the wiki is to be taken with buckets of salt .. The game IS run by Obsidian and is still full of inconsitencies ..

Aren't there other special attacks that bypass tohit checks ?   Retaliation attack is autohit .. There might be others ..

You guys just cannot get over the fact that paladins are awesome :p

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

It's not only wiki, it's the ability's own tooltip as well. Definitely a bug (although one can argue it's the tooltip that is bugged). I'd also say that retaliate is also likely bugged, as similar effects like fire shield/battleforged/Darcozzi's fire have to hit checks.

Edited by MadDemiurg

Wasn't that hard. Engaged the statues with my tanks, debuffed Thaos with Reveal Vulnerabilities, then petrified him with a druid spell, then hit him with a couple of hard single-target spells to gib him. Then same debuff on the statues, Slicken, and whittle them down at my leisure.

(I did die a couple of times before I figured out his vulnerabilities though.)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

seriously ? ..  Wiki is open - not run by Obsidian - everything is on the wiki is to be taken with buckets of salt .. The game IS run by Obsidian and is still full of inconsitencies ..

Aren't there other special attacks that bypass tohit checks ?   Retaliation attack is autohit .. There might be others ..

You guys just cannot get over the fact that paladins are awesome :p

I think it's a bug.

The youtube video you posted btw, I made that. :p

I tried using Deprive the Unworthy alot of times while making the video and it never missed Thaos.

NERRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!  :grin:  :lol:  :bat:

Edited by Veynn
  • Like 1

12 lvl, party of 5, PotD, first playthrough, first try. The fight was rather easy, I expected something more of it. Woedica's statues didn't seem much of a threat and I wish atleast Thaos's AI was something similar to fampyr's AI (the way they ignore tanks and just go after damage dealers who has way less endurance and resists) instead of just attacking whoever is in front of him.

Thaos: "Srsly, Woedica... I asked you for help and all I got is two giant useless dudes, rly??? Couldn't you summon like one hundred shadow drakes or something..."
Woedica: "Oh please, Thaos. If you would just spammed cleansing flame instead of running around trying to stab them with your stupid daggers, you would be just fine."
Thaos: "Ugh whatever."

When at some point in the fight he would just start autoattacking my tank, he barely did any damage with those daggers and I was like "Thaos what the hell are you doing? You are a priest so just cast your goddamn spells!" Or rather just only one  (cleansing flame) that was actually scary...

Anyway, too bad there no way not to fight him at all, I mean there is option to tell him that "Yeah, you're right" on his view, at some point of the conversation, which was kinda cool seeing him caught off-guard, at a loss for words by that answer but then conversation goes back to:
1. "You lied to me, you lied to everyone, you lied to yourself."
2. "I must stop you because reasons."
3. [Attack] "Tired of talking."

It's almost as if my character was possessed by Iovara at the end the way conversation was going(with no choice whatsoever). But no matter, I loved the gameplay and the story so much. Amazing game!

I get the difficulty, but why? If you want stupid difficulty then make it part of the higher difficult settings. Not when choosing normal or easy. I actually had it on normal switched to easy and I'm still having a difficult time. The irony is a lot of people praising the game will not finish it. If they did then maybe like me get pissed, and a rating of 10 goes to 8. I just spent 90 hours to get to the end. Now I have to either walk away or spend another 2+ hours just to finish the boss, because of many do overs. Maybe 30 minutes is understandable. But, why 2 minutes into the battle everyone is dead. What sucks about games like this is that one spends 90+ hours only to get to the end and face something that was nothing like what was done prior. If there is some trick or something to be learned in order to finish the boss then train and teach the player over the course of the game. Instead you are dumped in a battle like one that has not been seen the past three months of game play.

Can someone tell me what other battle(s) in the game are similar in difficulty, tactics and strategy? From my experience none.

I guess another play through or two, but will I every know the end. If a game is like a movie then this is like having your chair set on fire towards the end. Bearing the pain and suffering to watch the last 15 minutes of the movie, or getting up and walking away.

• Like 1

Is it just me or are there more than two statues around that central dais where you fight Thaos, which could/should awaken on harder difficulties? On PotD it should be a battle royale between you and the entire Terra Cotta army, shouldn't be able to kill Thaos in 4 hits with one character on the hardest difficulty.

• Like 1

Is it just me or are there more than two statues around that central dais where you fight Thaos, which could/should awaken on harder difficulties? On PotD it should be a battle royale between you and the entire Terra Cotta army, shouldn't be able to kill Thaos in 4 hits with one character on the hardest difficulty.

I think there only 2, don't remember for sure, but yeah I agree on PotD should be more than that and Thaos need to have 1k endurance maybe, instead of 200-300 that he has.

I get the difficulty, but why? If you want stupid difficulty then make it part of the higher difficult settings. Not when choosing normal or easy. I actually had it on normal switched to easy and I'm still having a difficult time. The irony is a lot of people praising the game will not finish it. If they did then maybe like me get pissed, and a rating of 10 goes to 8. I just spent 90 hours to get to the end. Now I have to either walk away or spend another 2+ hours just to finish the boss, because of many do overs. Maybe 30 minutes is understandable. But, why 2 minutes into the battle everyone is dead. What sucks about games like this is that one spends 90+ hours only to get to the end and face something that was nothing like what was done prior. If there is some trick or something to be learned in order to finish the boss then train and teach the player over the course of the game. Instead you are dumped in a battle like one that has not been seen the past three months of game play.

Can someone tell me what other battle(s) in the game are similar in difficulty, tactics and strategy? From my experience none.

I guess another play through or two, but will I every know the end. If a game is like a movie then this is like having your chair set on fire towards the end. Bearing the pain and suffering to watch the last 15 minutes of the movie, or getting up and walking away.

This is the problem with difficulty settings on pillars of eternity. Thaos stats and the statues stats are the same on easy, normal and hard. This is terrible game design.

Easy should be easy (the game isnt balanced here). Just give double the points for main character at start (156, cap at 30 per attribute) and your whole game would be balanced for easy. (Use the normal setting for number of enemies and types ofenemies). Or have all damage dealt on easy reduced by 50%. There fixed for you obsidian. I do a better job at balancing then your whole team unfortunately

And Potd should be insanely hard no matter how you abuse the ai, traps, spells etc (again the game isnt balanced here)

That Potd is to easy is not nearly as big a problem as thaos being to hard for the easy setting (which will turn paying customers that was entertained into angry customers who are frustrated)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Omfg, I sucked at the final fight.  5 times I tried and I failed. I am on HARD.

I got lv 12 party with nice items on all characters. I do split the heroes so they dont get AOE-ed easily. I tried different positioning - nothing.
Worst part is I did best at the first attempt when I didnt even know what I am doing. I killed 2 statues losing 2 heroes, I do not know how.  But then Thaos was alone and he destroyed me. It is too hard on hard. LOL.

Later in the other attempts it was much worse. Even though I am using positioning and healing and ofc Eder is trying to keep a statue busy - I still die.
I got a barbarian main character - he dies first doing not so much dmg. Then I got a two-handed spear paladin - Pallegina with offensive skills........ I got just 1 pure tank. Fffffffffffffff
I use also Durance as usual and Grieving Mother. The wizard is my glass cannon max dps guy but he cant do the damage so quickly and they are kind of resistant.
WHAT TO DO?

Thanks...

Edited by IamNOOB

Thaos is most likely killing you with Cleansing Flame. Give your pure tank Aila Braccia, let Durance buff his deflection and attack Thaos - this should reflect his own Cleansing Flames to him.

Use your wizard as CC machine first, then as damage dealer. The statues can be controlled with prone effects. Don't forget to buff your ACC with Durance: Devotions of the Faithful + Inspiring Radiance (also damages statues) + class skills like Eldritch Aim. And use prayers against afflictions.

The barb is not very effective in this fight since there are only three enemies and you will most likely not reach them all with carnage. Put him in fat armor and use food and survival bonuses to buff his DR even more, then use him to distract and drink healing potions.

If you have St. Ydwen's Redeemer then use it on the statues, there's a chance that they will get destroyed instantly.

If you paladin uses Tall Grass (why a pike paladin?) then use ACC buffs and flanking to land prone-crits with Flames of Devotions on the statues.

The most important part is accuracy. Buff it first, then use the high ACC to disable the enemies, then deal damage. Don't try to deal damage without using buffs and disables, you will graze or miss all the time.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I do not know how it is easy for you guys. Aila Braccia is what, a weapon<???
I usually sell items I do not need. I had many yellow items that I sold a long time ago, I guess this is not good.
Why a pike paladin -- well, for fun, I know it might be stupid but I did it. She has a two-handed mace as well, also unique.
I ll try to micro my way to winning this...

Aaah, finally after 3 more fights I killed Thaos on hard. It was just insane. Non stop pause.......

Eder held the line being buffed from everywhere and thanks to his tanking I managed it.