Rather peeved right now, game requires internet connection to load stuff area's?

Octopus-Pancake

Question

So I was attempting to zone out of a cave, and the game sat at the loading screen, nothing happening.  I haven't had an issue up to this point.  Solid game etc...  so I figured I either found a bug or something was going on.  After about 30 seconds the "program stopped responding" window popped up so I decided to close the game out.  Well I started the game back up and attempted to load my latest save file.  Same thing happened, so I figured maybe my save got corrupted somehow?  I attempted to load a different save same thing happened.   I attempted ONE more time, but this time I happened to glance over to my network hub that I use to connect to my router in another room and the on my hub thats suppose to be on showing a connect to internet via the router etc... The clip on the cable is broken so it doesn't stay in there, though I normally don't have issues with it coming out.  I do have cats and on likes to sleep close to that network hub but I've never had an issue with it coming out.  ANYWAY, I pushed the plug back in and was back onto my network and my internet.  I went to sit back in my chair and then I noticed my game loaded.  At this point a thought popped in my head that the 2 were related.  So I pulled the cable out and attempted to load and it basically timed out loading.  Instead of hard closing the program I clicked wait and then I plugged the cable back in and the game loaded instantly...  Am I to understand that the game requires internet to load a friggin save file?  I can't play this game offline or is this a bug/glitch of some kind?

Edited by Octopus-Pancake

7 answers to this question

No - It does not.

But if you made the foolish mistake of saving onto the CLOUD and then expect not to have to use the INTERNET to connect to the CLOUD to retrieve it...well... yeah

I'm not sure if it's cloud or not.  That may be there reason.  I don't use cloud so I didn't even think this could be the problem haha. 

EDIT:  Just checked the cloud tab under settings it's enabled isn't checked... So no idea :/

Edited by Octopus-Pancake

I unplugged my 'net cable - both Steam client and the game loadup just fine without it when in "offline" mode. I don't know about online mode and save game loading - I almost never use online mode.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've played several games on Steam, and knowingly lost my network connection in the middle of playing them, and still haven't had that occur. That's rather odd.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

EDIT: Just checked the cloud tab under settings it's enabled isn't checked... So no idea :/

Are you using any software that makes automatic online backups of your files? If so, try disabling it (it might be copying PoE tempfiles during a load, preventing PoE from deleting them and holding the game up).

If not, look at the folder you installed PoE in - there should be a subfolder PillarsOfEternity_Data and in that should be a (likely large!) output_log.txt file. Review that for anything that could be an error.