Pillars of Transphobia? Obsidian in trouble for an in-game joke

Chaz

It seems this morning a twitter storm started because someone found a joke that was carved in one of the tombstones in the game, the jokes makes a rhyme off how a man jumped of a cliff after he found out the woman he slept with was instead a man.

Here is a screenshot of the offending tombstone:

cNoobsw.jpg

Now while this joke is not particularly of my taste and is not the kind of jokes I would make, I think people demanding removal of this tombstone from the game and forcing Obsidian to apologize is very extreme. Now, Obsidian may very well apologize but I would see it more as a forced apology in order to avoid bad PR, and not because they really believe that joke is harmful to society or something like that.

I just listened to a SoundCloud by Totalbiscuit addressing this issue and I have to say I agree a lot with him, anyone that would like to know more about what is happening is welcome to listen.

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/pillars-of-transphobia

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 2

Also, pretty sure they didn't write the joke, a backer did.

To the people now conducting a Twitter Shame campaign demanding removal of this piece of content from the game and an offical apology from Obsidian it doesn't really matter, they know it's a backed contribution but still condemn Obsidian for putting it into the game.

In my opinion it's ok that a company listens to fans and to feedback, but this fake twitter outrage is pretty ridiculous, we don't even know if the people calling for heads to roll are even backers or people that were interested in playing the game at all.

Why does it matter who wrote it?

The outcry is ridiculous.

It matters when you say that it is part of official version of world of PoE, which it isn't actually as it is just fan made additional content.

If we took this as part of official version of world of PoE then we should also count those lesbian romances, stories of lonely PC (as computer) users and etc. content that you can find within backer supplemented content as part of official version of world of PoE. 

Edited by Elerond

It matters when you say that it is part of official version of world of PoE, which it isn't actually as it is just fan made additional content.

If we took this as part of official version of world of PoE then we should also count those lesbian romances, stories of lonely PC (as computer) users and etc. content that you can find within backer supplemented content as part of official version of world of PoE.

It's in the game so I consider it a part of the game world.

Obsidian included those memorials and NPC's so they made them a part of the game world no matter how subpar those content are.

Still having those in the game doesn't mean that the game or the creators views are consistent with this content.

What are disturbing are these twitter outrage campaigns from people we dont even know if are backers of the game that stomp their feet demanding removal of content and apologies from Obsidian.

And now they are attacking anyone that tries to voice a different opinion.

2TTs3Mz.jpg

Edited by Chaz

It's in the game so I consider it a part of the game world.

Obsidian included those memorials and NPC's so they made them a part of the game world no matter how subpar those content are.

Still having those in the game doesn't mean that the game or the creators views are consistent with this content.

I would argue that is not the case even if it is superior to content that Obsidian produces, but that it is content that they don't see as part of game world, but instead of content that breaches forth wall to give homage to their backers.

It may or may not align with views of content creator, only thing that really matters is do content portray such view that is consistent of vision that Obsidian wants their game to portray about them and about game itself to people that play it. If they feel that game don't portray message that they want it do, then they probably should edit it.

Great! All this buzz will publish this game and will improves  its' sales!

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!