[Stupid Question] What does armor DR actually do?

So I'm looking at my Padded Armor and seeing 4 DR, that's all fine and dandy.  Then I see my Scale Armor and I see a similar thing plus some Freeze DR.

So then I think, oh that's neat, the Scale Armor gives you Freeze DR whereas the Padded Armor doesn't.

But then I start thinking, wait, does the Padded Armor give 4 DR against everything?  That is, every single damage type, including Freeze, Burn, Corrode and Electrical?

Or is it just 4 DR against the physical damage types, that is to say Crush, Slash and Pierce?

This is probably a stupid question, but my assumption coming from a D&D background is that standard armor DR would only protect against the physical damage types (Crush, Slash and Pierce).

PS: Yes, I know that Padded Armor also has some other damage reduction effects (namely Crush, Pierce, Corrode and Burn).  I'm trying to ascertain what damage types the generic, standard DR protects against.

Edited by Yosharian

Your base DR (the top line on the character tab or the first value on the item itself) protects against everything, yes including elemental damage.  The exceptions are specific DR against specific damage types based on the armor.  So leather is DR 6 against everything but slash (better) and corrode (worse). 

Basically the primary value is everything but those called out specifically.   And this can stack up, like pale elf and secrets of rime, who would while wearing padded, have a DR 19 vs cold. 

Your base DR (the top line on the character tab or the first value on the item itself) protects against everything, yes including elemental damage.  The exceptions are specific DR against specific damage types based on the armor.  So leather is DR 6 against everything but slash (better) and corrode (worse). 

Basically the primary value is everything but those called out specifically.   And this can stack up, like pale elf and secrets of rime, who would while wearing padded, have a DR 19 vs cold. 

Many thanks!