Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

"Triggered Jazzhands" sounds like a name for an album by Frank Zappa.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Progressive moderation in action:

tVZmhSR.png

Don't call it a grave, it is the future that you chose.

Who are we supposed to be a hate group against again?

Women I guess. Talk about awful moderation though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I never really got involved in the debate either way, but the most surprising result -- for me -- has been the noted improvement in disclosure of conflicts of interest in games journalism.

I know, it's almost like GG had nothing to do with misogyny at all.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

If people say GamerGate is dying, its because we won. There are at least alternate sites now like TechRaptor, NicheGamer and with the tone shift, The Escapist, so Polygon and Kotaku can mostly be avoided.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

http://bgr.com/2015/03/30/meerkat-vs-periscope-analysis-journalism/

Meerkat’s “success” was the creation of a handful of West Coast tech bloggers who managed to lure major newspapers into covering a phenomenon that did not exist.

A couple of days old news and while not gaming related I think it really shows the weakness of modern day internet journalism. It doesn't matter if your piece is truthful or accurate, only thing that matters is writing about the subject while it's "hot" so you stay relevant.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I still don't understand why the SJW crowd made Vivian Aryan and then said they "improved" her.

Like where's the self-awareness there? It feels like a really bad joke.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I still don't understand why the SJW crowd made Vivian Aryan and then said they "improved" her.

How long have you been here? They have no self-awareness, this has been demonstrated time and time again.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How long have you been here? They have no self-awareness, this has been demonstrated time and time again.

But this is the pinnacle of "wait wat" and remains as such. I think the first female video game character that'll come to anyone's minds is either Peach or Samus. The SJW crowd complains about video games being sexist, then given an opportunity to make a character of their own, all they did was make Peach again but they cut her boobs off, while wording it in such a way that frankly sounds disturbing and almost....humorously, like something a Nazi would say. (not calling SJWs Nazis, mind you)

It's so ridiculously over-the-top that it feels like a comedy skit. Cept I'm not laughing, I'm just extremely confused.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

IGN is not being boycotted and just watched like a hawk, yes? Cause here's a link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/01/nintendo-wants-you-to-vote-on-the-next-smash-bros-fighter-2

The site asks what gender you are, which character you're voting for, the title the character appears in, and why the character should become a fighter.

Am I being paranoid? That just jumps out at me as being seemingly irrelevant. It could simply be Nintendo on their own trying to appeal to the female demographic more, it just feels odd given that if that were the case, I would think your age would also be asked, no? Since that's relevant for demographics.

EDIT: Also jesus christ, this is actually my first visit to a games journalism website in ages. Just how crappy ARE the standards? That doesn't qualify as an article, there's no link or direction on where and how to vote, and should it be an ambiguous "please say who you want" from Nintendo with no actual poll, you'd think IGN would realize "hey we have a great opportunity to start a poll or tally or discussion right here" and make an effort instead of "ya write in the comments I guess." Was someone paid to write that tiny snippet? I actually got that news from Vinny of Vinesauce and only linked the article as a source, but looking back ffs it may have been equally as informative just to link the Vinesauce stream....

Edited by Longknife

• Like 3

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But this is the pinnacle of "wait wat" and remains as such. I think the first female video game character that'll come to anyone's minds is either Peach or Samus. The SJW crowd complains about video games being sexist, then given an opportunity to make a character of their own, all they did was make Peach again but they cut her boobs off, while wording it in such a way that frankly sounds disturbing and almost....humorously, like something a Nazi would say. (not calling SJWs Nazis, mind you)

It's so ridiculously over-the-top that it feels like a comedy skit. Cept I'm not laughing, I'm just extremely confused.

Bro, these are the same people who decry harassment(especially of women) yet are totally fine with ghazi harassing Liana K. The same people who want more women in gaming yet try to get Jennifer D'aww's game not greenlit and throw a fit when the Escapist announced content by women was incoming because it was from the "wrong" type of woman. Arthur Chu, defender of women that he is, called a charity for a woman who had been gangraped in her home "stupid" because Mercedes Carrera signal boosted it and had to be shamed into donating. Speaking of that rape, these people aren't willing to signal boost the benefit drove for that rape victim but bitch nonstop about internet threats, the vast majority of which aren't credible at best, and trolling. Finally, we hear nonstop that we need more female and non-white representation and voices in gaming, but the second a female or non-white person goes against the narrative they get called sock puppets or told they've internalized something(ie are too stupid to know what's good for them) and ignored by a predominantly white and male clique of hipsters whose efforts extend to writing blog posts.

At this point I would be more surprised if they showed self-awareness at all, as all evidence shows they lack even a trace.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Man, what happened to RPGnet? Telling people to make up their own mind is a perma-ban offense? What happens if you mention F.A.T.A.L.? Do they send someone to your house to shoot you?

I got banned after saying that, while I don't like John Norman, he obviously has a market and a geekdom that follows him voluntarily so I didn't see any problem with it...

So yeah, I can guess that a mere mention of "Anal Circumference" or any of the other retarded stuff of FATAL would get you out.

We're zombies, remember? Your SJW buddies murdered us en masse yet we still exist. We just  keep multiplying.

We are sockpuppets. Actually GG is just the same guy doing all the tweets and stuff. A guy called Firedorn I think.

I feel the worst things in gaming journalism are

- neo gamer columnists (people who missed classics and think Skyrim is the top of the hill. usually they are also hipsters though this is irrelevant)

- paid reviews (always have been.... luckily its fairly easy to detect)

- focusing on hyper-produced trash titles (mostly FPS and online cross-genre hybrids. they also often happen to be AAA titles)

-People who are not interested in gaming but in yellow press, but no bloody media outlet would hire their lazy asses so they stick with the one with zero requirements (Game Journalism, which up to this point has been basically blogging)

Didn't you see their "extreme diversity" in the xoxo convention? I've seen KKK rallies with less pasty white people...

Edited by Bayzent
  • Like 5

^Dear lord :lol:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Archive because 8chan is NSFW: https://archive.today/XOtpm

You know those e-mails you sent? According to Acid Man, every advertiser pulled out. EVERY SINGLE ONE. We did it guys.

4e3.png

• Like 3

It's almost as if starting a war with people who feed your paycheck is a really ****ing stupid idea that only mentally unstable people would consider worth fighting or something.

I just checked out Gawker. That website really looks totally empty. It's like for the first time in ages that you don't need Adblock on a website.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Archive because 8chan is NSFW: https://archive.today/XOtpm

You know those e-mails you sent? According to Acid Man, every advertiser pulled out. EVERY SINGLE ONE. We did it guys.

4e3.png

Who knew that Revenge of the Nerds is an actual reflection of real life? :p

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I just checked out Gawker. That website really looks totally empty. It's like for the first time in ages that you don't need Adblock on a website.

I checked it out, was amazed aswell.

Then I saw the article "These happy pandas just won't stop f***ing. Pandas Lulu and Zhen Zhen set record for panda sex endurance" complete with a photo of them in the act, and was more amazed it took this long to get ads off of Gawker.

• Like 1

What disturbed me the most about The Tropes vs Women videos is that when they started to come out, all the gaming press marched in lockstep to praise it, and two years later I think it's pretty obvious they are just shilling for it.

It was also rare that even big gaming youtubers have been avoiding the topic until recently, they would rather not risk beign called misogynists.

The only people that seemed to have no fear in beign critical of the series were people that were not part of the gaming scene like Amazing Atheist or Thunderf00t, or smaller channels like Kite Tails.

For me Kotaku and Polygon are political sites as much as they are gaming sites, they will actively promote certain ideology and will never criticize their sacred cows while disregarding any kind of ethical standard and only respond when they are put up against the wall.

• Like 1

It's almost as if starting a war with people who feed your paycheck is a really ****ing stupid idea that only mentally unstable people would consider worth fighting or something.

Or people who don't know that in order to get money you need to actually put effort, as it comes from other people other than Mom and Dad.

I really can't get past over MacIntosh calling me a "privileged ****lord" from the artificial Island he has made out of Boats...

So much this

But hey, you have a Legion of WK's trying to make them keep living the dream without doing anything resembling a job. Remember Brianna Wu getting about $16.000 in her patreaon per month or some **** like this for...twittering?

Edited by Bayzent