Obsidian should not cave to these people. They are more than likely not its customers, and they can't claim the moral high ground when many of them are yelling to "kill all men" as seen here: https://archive.today/rJTjG (this same person is the one advocating for censorship in the game at the moment: https://archive.today/YTYyF).

These people will never be satisfied. They make a living trying to find ways to be "offended." You give them an inch, and they'll take a mile. Developers should never be forced to censor their work because someone is "offended." If you're offended, don't buy it. It's that simple. Don't mess things up for the rest of us who don't care or want what you hate. It's not like you're being forced to see what's offending you in this case.

• Like 1

Ah so joking about killing 3 billion people is alright, but joking about one man killing himself after accidentally buggering another man is bad?

Of course, genocide is much funnier than suicide.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ah so joking about killing 3 billion people is alright, but joking about one man killing himself after accidentally buggering another man is bad?

Three and a half.

How many of you actually fear for your lives daily that an SJW will murder you because you are male?

So these jokes are ok but not this harmless one because someone thinks it makes fun of a minority which it doesn't even do?

• Like 2

What's up with so many pages of discussion?

From all the badly-written, fanfiction.net-tier backer crap that we got in the game, this is the first thing I see that actually fits the world of Pillars of Eternity. And this thing's not even a joke about trans people, it's a joke about a dude who decided to kill himself, a radical decision, because he simply slept with a man. I hope you can see that the funny part is not the trans person in itself, but the man killing himself because he slept with a man.

Also, the person who got triggered by the joke is somebody who tweets things like "I still plan to #KillAllMen. Not changing that goal ever.". Christ, those people will never not be offended. They'll always find things to complain about.

I'm going to explain this once, which you will no doubt ignore.

How high is the possiblity of there being an actual killing spree against men by "SJWs"?

Ok, how many times has the panic defense actually been used by murder defendants?

Also, are you going to post here again or did you make an account just for that?

So are you arguing that somehow this joke is contributing to the actual murder of transpeople?  That sounds like a slippery slope if I ever heard one...

Look, I'm not arguing that bad things don't happen to transpeople, they definitely do.  But I'm pretty confident that this joke has nothing to do with those things, and will never have anything to do with those things.

• Like 2

Oh I completely agree with you.  I am definitely on the "leave it in" camp here.  I just saw people arguing back and forth trying to show that this is and isn't censorship, so I wanted to put out there that they are arguing in the wrong direction.

This is definitely censorship, the argument is whether the censorship in this case is justified.  And like you, I would say it is not justified.

Oh, I wasn't really arguing with you specifically, just tugging on a thread I thought was interesting.  Incredibly, there's actually room for interesting discussion in this thread!  We live in strange times, when a joke that I would ordinarily roll my eyes at and dismiss as being a little offensive (!) somehow provokes interesting discussion.  Maybe that backer somehow IS a legitimate artist!

It is hilarious, when you think about it. Imagine all those backers, trying to come up with something memorable, anxiously refining their ideas before submitting. Then, out of the blue, comes someone with a silly lymerick and gets everything. :dancing:

This alone deserves some special badge or Steam achievement :w00t:

• Like 6

Themes Sawyer defends serve a narrative purpose in the game. Here it's just a random joke in a backer memorial.

I suppose you're answering to my post, therefore I'll reply: so, it's even less of an issue? I mean, what even are the chances of you finding the tombstone? I didn't even know the tombstone was there until this ****storm started.

I hate Unity.

From all the badly-written, fanfiction.net-tier backer crap that we got in the game, this is the first thing I see that actually fits the world of Pillars of Eternity. And this thing's not even a joke about trans people, it's a joke about a dude who decided to kill himself, a radical decision, because he simply slept with a man. I hope you can see that the funny part is not the trans person in itself, but the man killing himself because he slept with a man.

Also, the person who got triggered by the joke is somebody who tweets things like "I still plan to #KillAllMen. Not changing that goal ever.". Christ, those people will never not be offended. They'll always find things to complain about.

How high is the possiblity of there being an actual killing spree against men by "SJWs"?

Ok, how many times has the panic defense actually been used by murder defendants?

Also, are you going to post here again or did you make an account just for that?

You know it says in the article you linked all but one attempt at that failed?

And I find it funny that you're claiming the defense "It's just a joke" for #KillAllMen, but are asking for this JOKE to be pulled here. It reeks of double standards.

I'm honestly convinced Arouet is trolling after reading these past few pages.

The forum has an Ignore feature. If you can't ignore them, Ignore them. Getting caught in a circle jerk does no one any good.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Ok, how many times has the panic defense actually been used by murder defendants?"

8 times. I counted it from the link you have provided.

"How high is the possiblity of there being an actual killing spree against men by "SJWs"?"

About as high as somebody killing somebody else and then blaming it on the "Gay panic defense" bull****. Actually, it would be 0. Those people don't have the balls to do anything. They just complain.

"Also, are you going to post here again or did you make an account just for that?"

I'm going to keep posting.

Yes.. that´s exactly the problem. And i´m very very sad, that once again this would be mind dictators try to force their sick mind on the whole mass of gamers (not that this nazi like p.c. mania is only related to games.. they censor everything they can.. worse than any regime in history).

I truly hope that Obsidian doesn´t cave in to the demands of these fiends... don´t give them any inch more in their maniacal crusade against free will and speech.

So are you arguing that somehow this joke is contributing to the actual murder of transpeople?  That sounds like a slippery slope if I ever heard one...

Look, I'm not arguing that bad things don't happen to transpeople, they definitely do.  But I'm pretty confident that this joke has nothing to do with those things, and will never have anything to do with those things.

This isn't a hill I'm going to die on. I'm just pointing out it's a little disingenouous to make them equivalent.

Edited by Arouet

You know it says in the article you linked all but one attempt at that failed?

And I find it funny that you're claiming the defense "It's just a joke" for #KillAllMen, but are asking for this JOKE to be pulled here. It reeks of double standards.

I'm honestly convinced Arouet is trolling after reading these past few pages.

You and me.

It's funny how you keep saying that everyone in this thread is so bad, yet so far the most hateful person here is you...

It´s even funnier, considering most people have explained very well whats the problem but it gets ignored by him/her. She/he didn´t explain anything in this post but tried to play down the death threats from that insane person. Oh and brought in legal cases (which have nothing to do with the joke and the censorship problem) as an argument, obviously not reading it well enough to realise most of them failed anyway. :p

Edited by cirdanx

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

It has been claimed that the #Killallmen joke was equivalent in its badness. I pointed out why it might not be. That's all I did. I was not expressing approval of either joke.

I'm a guy, btw. I just love Kaelyn the Dove.

Edited by Arouet

This isn't a hill I'm going to die on. I'm just pointing out it's a little disingenouous to make them equivalent.

I don't think that they believe that people posting #KillAllMen are ACTUALLY going to kill all men.  But I do think that it's hate speech regardless.

Of course, now that I think about it...there was Valerie Solanas, so violence from this crowd isn't completely unheard of...

Edited by Creslin321
  • Like 4

As a trans PoC this stuff makes me super angry. I literally lost interest in this product and i regret to spend even a cent on it. My desire to play this game vanished and im getting sick even hearing the name of the game or people talking about it.  Im going to my lawyer, i really want my money back. Everyone should demand their money back. Why would any sane person support a company that spreads transphobia and obviously doesnt care about feelings from trans people, theyre even outright mocking them...

So here is a question to Obsidian.  Regardless of their choice, what will they do the next time someone is offended by something?  Give in?  And the time after that?  Give in?  Because it will be coming, these groups are never satisfied and if you give in once, they smell blood and come back even harder next time. 

And believe me they will be offended by something pretty soon, this past week alone I've seem the very same crowd beign offended at Totalbiscuit, beign offended at a cover for a Batgirl comic, and they also had LiongsGate studios delete a few of their tweets because they were deemed offended.

Everyone that disagrees is attacked, like I showed with Totalbiscuit and declared a misogynist or transphone and then put in one of those famous blockbots.

You get put on the blocklist if you follow the certain individuals such as Roguestar or Sargon of Akkad.

I don't care about the blocklist personally, I was just pointing out the madness of the people that are always offended, as for the blocklist, I think that beign on the same list with scientists like Richard Dawkins is badge of honor.

What apologists of censorship fail to address is that the people wanting this harmless piece of content removed are people who have advocated genocide themselves, one of them has proudly promoted to Kill all Men and the other was a former Neo-Nazi who said that Jews=Garbage.

Im sorry apologists, there is no way to reconcile that, if you think that all men should be killed of if you think that all jewish people should be killed you're a horrible human beign and no developer should be paying you attention, that's pretty much it.

• Like 1

I don't think that they believe that people posting #KillAllMen are ACTUALLY going to kill all men.  But I do think that it's hate speech regardless.

A little off topic, but do you think that uttering an anti-Irish slur in America and say, the N-word, today, are equivalent?

i think this outrage is ridiculous, and any time the devs. spend on this rather than on squashing bugs is the worst part of the whole thing.  Well other than reading some annoying internet outrage, but at least i can go back and play my game and ignore the forums till this blows over.  Bugs can be harder to ignore and may force me to read more of this.  That offends me.

• Like 7

It has been claimed that the #Killallmen joke was equivalent in its badness. I pointed out why it might not be. That's all I did. I was not expressing approval of either joke.

You are like a German politician who actually claimed that left radicalism is better than right radicalism after left extremists burned down dozens of cars in front of the EZB in Frankfurt. 

Yeah Sorry that i disagree. 

Of course they're not equivalent, the one joking about genocide is much worse and if you defend that and condemn the one about suicide then you're a hypocrite.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

A little off topic, but do you think that uttering an anti-Irish slur in America and say, the N-word, today, are equivalent?

I'll chime in. No, but that is amazingly american-centirc. This game is released in more than just America, so your specifying down to just America seems... strange.

• Like 1

Why do we exist?
Do we exist?

Can we be but a dream,

An incomplete thought,
Only to be forgotten.