So here is a question to Obsidian.  Regardless of their choice, what will they do the next time someone is offended by something?  Give in?  And the time after that?  Give in?  Because it will be coming, these groups are never satisfied and if you give in once, they smell blood and come back even harder next time. 

And believe me they will be offended by something pretty soon, this past week alone I've seem the very same crowd beign offended at Totalbiscuit, beign offended at a cover for a Batgirl comic, and they also had LiongsGate studios delete a few of their tweets because they were deemed offended.

Everyone that disagrees is attacked, like I showed with Totalbiscuit and declared a misogynist or transphone and then put in one of those famous blockbots.

You get put on the blocklist if you follow the certain individuals such as Roguestar or Sargon of Akkad.

Edited by Arouet

Oh I completely agree with you.  I am definitely on the "leave it in" camp here.  I just saw people arguing back and forth trying to show that this is and isn't censorship, so I wanted to put out there that they are arguing in the wrong direction.

This is definitely censorship, the argument is whether the censorship in this case is justified.  And like you, I would say it is not justified.

Oh, I wasn't really arguing with you specifically, just tugging on a thread I thought was interesting.  Incredibly, there's actually room for interesting discussion in this thread!  We live in strange times, when a joke that I would ordinarily roll my eyes at and dismiss as being a little offensive (!) somehow provokes interesting discussion.  Maybe that backer somehow IS a legitimate artist!

• Like 1

Outrage culture is getting reaaal old about now.

"Nice game you've got there. It would be a shame if someone came along and called you transphobic."

Please, please don't cave to this ridiculous request, as it is only the beginning. They're just feeling you out right now. These people are not noble champions of much of anything, and the backgrounds of e.g. the two Twitter-people trying to initially stir this up are... Well. Extensive and verifiable if anyone is actually wondering whether engaging with / catering to them is a good idea.

Yes, the fact that someone that actively promotes genocide and someone that was a former neo-nazi got the ear of Obsidian so easily is pretty disturbing, the minimum background check should reveal this, the fact that veteran game developers with 20-30 years of experience in the industry bow down to the wishes of these people are clearly crazy (and yes promoting genocide is crazy) is pretty telling, these demands should have been dismissed immediately after people saw where they coming from.

I'm looking forward to when this thread progresses to its natural conclusion and consists entirely of speculation over Zoe Quinn's sex life.

This makes your whole position really laughable. I hope you know this. 

It really doesn't. Should the line be pulled? This is the question. Instead we think the main issue is running background checks on the people who first noticed it.

OFC we should. Because it shows if this person should even be seriously or not. As I said before. Twitter and co is full of extremists no matter for or against whatsoever.  You need context to accusations. And just like companies judge people on their twitter accounts. Yes there are tons of people who got fired because of their Twitter or Facebook page. We should do the same here. 

So here is a question to Obsidian.  Regardless of their choice, what will they do the next time someone is offended by something?  Give in?  And the time after that?  Give in?  Because it will be coming, these groups are never satisfied and if you give in once, they smell blood and come back even harder next time. 

And believe me they will be offended by something pretty soon, this past week alone I've seem the very same crowd beign offended at Totalbiscuit, beign offended at a cover for a Batgirl comic, and they also had LiongsGate studios delete a few of their tweets because they were deemed offended.

Everyone that disagrees is attacked, like I showed with Totalbiscuit and declared a misogynist or transphone and then put in one of those famous blockbots.

You get put on the blocklist if you follow the certain individuals such as Roguestar or Sargon of Akkad.

If what I've heard is correct, the head of the blockbot put him on without having to do that.

While also bragging about putting on the Pope.

It's a horrible tool that only exists to stifle discussion, anyways.

This thread has caused my opinion of the intelligence of the average Obsidian "fan" on these forums to plummet.

Seriously, if you can't handle a developer not wanting a bigoted joke in their game, I'll provide you with a free tiny violin before the door hits you on your ass on the way out.

How do know they don't want the joke in the game? Explain to me why bigotry in the game's world, a fantasy construct, should affect you.

Explain to me why pulling a dumb joke offends you so much.

Over and over again, this is what I hear: "They can't do that to our pledges! Only we can do that to our pledges!"

There's no end to what offends people, so just pick another thing and take to Twitter I guess.

This thread has caused my opinion of the intelligence of the average Obsidian "fan" on these forums to plummet.

Seriously, if you can't handle a developer not wanting a bigoted joke in their game, I'll provide you with a free tiny violin before the door hits you on your ass on the way out.

How do know they don't want the joke in the game? Explain to me why bigotry in the game's world, a fantasy construct, should affect you.

Explain to me why pulling a dumb joke offends you so much.

Over and over again, this is what I hear: "They can't do that to our pledges! Only we can do that to our pledges!"

Because it would be self-censorship, likely based on social pressure from a loud minority who reads too much into it. It would not offend me, but it would set a again a bad example and a case that these people (and its always the same) can pull of this stunt everytime they want and it will happen again, this time its a joke, next time maybe something more important to the game.

Only to avoid drama with horrible people. This gets a clear no from me and should not be hard to understand.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

What's up with so many pages of discussion?

From all the badly-written, fanfiction.net-tier backer crap that we got in the game, this is the first thing I see that actually fits the world of Pillars of Eternity. And this thing's not even a joke about trans people, it's a joke about a dude who decided to kill himself, a radical decision, because he simply slept with a man. I hope you can see that the funny part is not the trans person in itself, but the man killing himself because he slept with a man.

Also, the person who got triggered by the joke is somebody who tweets things like "I still plan to #KillAllMen. Not changing that goal ever.". Christ, those people will never not be offended. They'll always find things to complain about.

• Like 7

I completely fail to understand how Sawyer includes themes like rape in New Vegas, defends their inclusion when asked about it, and yet when some stranger on twitter gets offended by a poem (completely open to interpretation) he doesn't even argue before submitting. It's hard not to love the guy for his passion, but I'm starting to find Sawyer fairly identical to a character I met in PoE.

• Like 3

I hate Unity.

"Nice game you've got there. It would be a shame if someone came along and called you transphobic."

Please, please don't cave to this ridiculous request, as it is only the beginning. They're just feeling you out right now. These people are not noble champions of much of anything, and the backgrounds of e.g. the two Twitter-people trying to initially stir this up are... Well. Extensive and verifiable if anyone is actually wondering whether engaging with / catering to them is a good idea.

Yes, the fact that someone that actively promotes genocide and someone that was a former neo-nazi got the ear of Obsidian so easily is pretty disturbing, the minimum background check should reveal this, the fact that veteran game developers with 20-30 years of experience in the industry bow down to the wishes of these people are clearly crazy (and yes promoting genocide is crazy) is pretty telling, these demands should have been dismissed immediately after people saw where they coming from.

I'm looking forward to when this thread progresses to its natural conclusion and consists entirely of speculation over Zoe Quinn's sex life.

It really doesn't. Should the line be pulled? This is the question. Instead we think the main issue is running background checks on the people who first noticed it.

Frankly the person who first noticed this should be in a mental hospital. Have you read her other tweets?

It REALLY REALLY does. I could see the straw-man from 1000 miles away.

• Like 1

“Here lies Firedorn, a hero in bed.

“He once was alive, but now he’s dead.

“The last woman he bedded, turned out a man

“And crying in shame, off a cliff he ran.”

Firedorn. Bard, transmysogynistic scatlord, skeleton.

Personally, I think Obsidian should have asked the backers to make the memorials consistent with the setting in the first place. But then again, they probably had too much work on the game itself to check them all, e-mail everyone to change theirs etc.

You should look up some folk tales/songs, there are quite a few about crossdressing. Not to mention that in Shakespear's time only men were allowed to play women on a stages, so that was quite common. If it's been a topic in medieval times, why not in PoE's setting?

at the end of the day Its only a comedy. A mockery, about a fella who has some phobias which cost his life, to be spesific. There is no insults, anything. There are more sinister things in the world (PoE) allready so no need to get trolled by some "internet personas" 

Its only a game and I'm really fed up with these "ohh I'm offened, people are so ignorant" people.

Edited by ruzen
  • Like 7

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

at the end of the day Its only a comedy. A mockery, about a fella who has some phobias which cost his life, to be spesific. There is no insults, anything. There are more sinister things in the world (PoE) allready so no need to get trolled by some "internet personas" 

Its only a game and I'm really fed up with these "ohh I'm offened, people are so ignorant" people.

The kicker is that this isn't even neccisarily transphobia (Though some people are saying it is a reference, though I have seen no proof of this...)

The way I read it originally was that he had to have gotten severely hammered, had sex with a guy while drunk, then woke up sober and realized what he did.

Sure, the joke is stupid, but I fail to see anything actually bad about it, since so little is in context.

• Like 1

Why do we exist?
Do we exist?

Can we be but a dream,

An incomplete thought,
Only to be forgotten.

From all the badly-written, fanfiction.net-tier backer crap that we got in the game, this is the first thing I see that actually fits the world of Pillars of Eternity. And this thing's not even a joke about trans people, it's a joke about a dude who decided to kill himself, a radical decision, because he simply slept with a man. I hope you can see that the funny part is not the trans person in itself, but the man killing himself because he slept with a man.

Also, the person who got triggered by the joke is somebody who tweets things like "I still plan to #KillAllMen. Not changing that goal ever.". Christ, those people will never not be offended. They'll always find things to complain about.

I'm going to explain this once, which you will no doubt ignore.

How high is the possiblity of there being an actual killing spree against men by "SJWs"?

Ok, how many times has the panic defense actually been used by murder defendants?

Also, are you going to post here again or did you make an account just for that?

Edited by Arouet

I've been a longtime fan of Obsidian and have alway supported them. They're an inspiration when it comes to making roleplaying games. The marvels they manage to put out are one of a kind - and Pillars of Eternity is no different.

It's a real shame that this select little group has set their sights on one of my favorite companies in an effort to try and tarnish their creation.

The little rhyme is entirely fictional and focuses on the endeavours of a fictional character. This fictional character chose to resort to extremities because he was obviously a bit dim. The world of Pillars of Eternity is expansive and it has room for all sorts of characters, including that particular one. If you think it's offensive, that's alright. The fictional character might've been a bigot to you, an idiot, and someone to be pitied. There are two things he is not. He is not real and he is not Obsidian.

In rich worlds there'll be many types of characters. A portion of them may appear funny to some but offensive/unfunny to others. It's precisely because of the variety of characters that conflict sparks in these games, the world becomes layered and draws out more emotions from whoever has the luxury of experiencing it. To put it simply, you won't like every fictional character and some fictional characters are meant to be despised.

It's a pity that these days controversy emerges because someone deems a fictional character offensive. Can you not take it for what it is? A poor man who thought it necessary to jump off a cliff after mistakingly sleeping with another man. Perceive the situation as funny, boring, pitiful and whatever else have you. You are allowed to be offended too, if you must. But realize that these are the actions of the fictional man which offend you and not Obsidian.

• Like 1

How high is the possiblity of there being an actual killing spree against men by "SJWs"?

Ok, how many times has the panic defense actually been used by murder defendants?

Answer to the second: Actually, very, very rarely. And absolutely none have actually succeeded, due to it having no legal basis.

• Like 1

Why do we exist?
Do we exist?

Can we be but a dream,

An incomplete thought,
Only to be forgotten.

Ah so joking about killing 3 billion people is alright, but joking about one man killing himself after accidentally buggering another man is bad?

Edit: Then again i'm not going to ask this pro genocide joking idiot to be censored, i'm not that small.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Also, are you going to post here again or did you make an account just for that?

It does not matter how high the possibility is, what's freaking me out is that this person is actually serious about it. I've read the tweets, and wow, I think the amount of times I've shaked my head might've been enough to power a continent for a year...

how high is the possibility you do a rape joke and then actually rape a person?  How many times has a rape joke lead to rape? 

You are seeing how stupid these arguments are? No one gets even harmed by a joke if you don't like it don't endorse it. It is ok to not like things but its not ok to again force your own morals on others. 

You know it says in the article you linked all but one attempt at that failed?

And I find it funny that you're claiming the defense "It's just a joke" for #KillAllMen, but are asking for this JOKE to be pulled here. It reeks of double standards.

• Like 2

Ah so joking about killing 3 billion people is alright, but joking about one man killing himself after accidentally buggering another man is bad?

Three and a half.

How many of you actually fear for your lives daily that an SJW will murder you because you are male?

Edited by Arouet

It's funny how you keep saying that everyone in this thread is so bad, yet so far the most hateful person here is you...

• Like 1

You know it says in the article you linked all but one attempt at that failed?

And I find it funny that you're claiming the defense "It's just a joke" for #KillAllMen, but are asking for this JOKE to be pulled here. It reeks of double standards.

I'm honestly convinced Arouet is trolling after reading these past few pages.

• Like 1