...because of some transgender scum.

I'm sorry for whatever pains you've had in your life but you're talking from a place of a lot of anger and painting with a very broad brush. Perhaps distance from this topic might be wise? I mean, you're arguing (a word I don't use lightly) from a pretty dark place.

nobody is forcing obsidian to do anything.  there is no censorship... period.

HA! Good Fun!

Actually, no, that's not true but it doesn't really matter as people censor things all the time (e.g. if you know your grandmother doesn't like swearing you might self-censor cursing while around her). It's still censorship.

There is a difference of self censoring your OWN speech and demanding that everyone gets to suffer from censorship because you don't like it.  Again you can already self censor your game with the mod.  That should be more than enough. 

Edited by Darji
  • Like 2

HA! Good Fun!

Actually, no, that's not true but it doesn't really matter as people censor things all the time (e.g. if you know your grandmother doesn't like swearing you might self-censor cursing while around her). It's still censorship.

self-censor is a far different thing.  don't confuse the two concepts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Talk about being overly sensitive. Also, "transphobic" isn`t a proper word. And even if it was it doesn`t apply here. A phobia means an irrational fear of something. Making a joke at somebody else`s expense therefore does not make you phobic. Sigh...Can`t you at least get a dictionary before you start complaining about nonsense?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/transphobia

http://dot429.com/articles/2486-transphobic-officially-added-to-oxford-english-dictionary

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/transphobia

It can be crammed into as many dictionaries as it likes. It is still an illiterate nonsense and an abuse of the English language. Phobia has nothing to do with anything whatsoever so what on earth has it got to do at the end of this meaningless word? It is literally connoting someone who has an irrational and uncontrollable fear of crossing over. A fear of bridges or something. It`s like living in George Orwell`s 1984 here or something, with government agencies dedicated to destroying language. Making fun of perverts (And do please bother looking up the definition of that as well before commenting) is not phobia. Offending people is not a crime because what offends is subjective so equal enforcement of the "law" would be impossible. Whatever you say someone is going to be offended by it. Personally I am offended by people who use meaningless words without understanding what they are saying. And I am very offended by people who get offended over nothing and start demanding censorship. Here are some other things that offend me which I must demand censored with immediate effect:

1: Televized pageants for children.

2: Military propaganda during sports arrangements.

3: Politicians.

4: Shampoo commercials.

5: Income taxes.

6: Quest markers in RPGs.

7: Tatoos.

8: Door to door salesmen.

9: Light beer.

10: The drug war.

11: Speed boats.

12: People who start every sentence with "like", "LOL" or "WTF".

13: Monarchy.

14: The annual cross country ski sprint which takes place in my town every March.

15: US torture camps on Cuba.

16: Newspapers.

So since I am offended by them these activities must stop, right? In fact let`s all make a list of the things that offend us and ban all of that! Afterward we could just all go bury ourselves because all human behavior would be banned. Right? Right!

Edited by SKull
  • Like 2

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

But Obsidian can also choose not to self censor and whoever thinks the joke is in poor taste can choose to not play the game or patch it out themselves correct?

• Like 1

...because of some transgender scum.

I'm sorry for whatever pains you've had in your life but you're talking from a place of a lot of anger and painting with a very broad brush. Perhaps distance from this topic might be wise? I mean, you're arguing (a word I don't use lightly) from a pretty dark place.

It was an ironic post. Read the whole thing please.

He's simply replacing the terms to show how ridiculous this whole thing is.

This is osmium kinds of dense here.

• Like 2

“Here lies Firedorn, a hero in bed.

“He once was alive, but now he’s dead.

“The last woman he bedded, turned out a man

“And crying in shame, off a cliff he ran.”

Firedorn. Bard, transmysogynistic scatlord, skeleton.

Just thought I'd mentioned that I've been approving all the posts and nothing seems completely overboard to me. Even so, I'll preach calm and hope that you guys keep your attacks to positions rather than people. :Cant's slap on the back and broad grin icon:

• Like 8

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And, there we go. Sawyer is letting the bullies to bully.Letting censorship win out. 

I wonder if he cares the person who whined to them brags about 'killing all men'. This is the type of person he wants to associate with.

But, hey, let people whio don't really care about your games or you censor you. Hey, Mr. Sawyer, you are a white man that games. The SJWs loathe you and proclaimed you dead. Why are playing their games?

\They attack every single one of your games for the 'feels' (which is dfifferent than arguing about actually quality).

"So if it is such a complete non-issue, why are there a ton of people shouting about how it would be a TRAVESTY and an ATTACK ON FREE SPEECH to remove a dumb vulgar joke that QC should have caught, but didn't, from the game? If it is, to you, a non-issue - and I totally agree that to anybody who doesn't particularly care about being inclusive, it really should be - then why not just go "oh okay, lets remove that then" and be done with it? The torrent of complaints by people who are not, at all, affected by this is baffling."

I loathe censorship and that's exactly they want. Obsidian chose to include this. Now, they are going to remove it due to censorship. L0L Lack of publishers. L0L

Edited by Tigranes
chill
  • Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oh, so now you want to censor the people that were harmed by transgenders from any discussion? 

No? I'm saying that if you're really that emotional about the matter, maybe take a twenty minute break or whatever. You've a lot of personal investment here due to your personal circumstances and it might affect how your approach the topic or the discussion. You can talk all you want, it's not skin off my back. No one is censoring your voice.

On second thought, I *am* going to lock this thread. When things calm down, maybe we can revisit. When I get home, I'll contact some members personally. :Cant's not grinning icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

But Obsidian can also choose not to self censor and whoever thinks the joke is in poor taste can choose to not play the game or patch it out themselves correct?

if that is what they decide, then sure.  there is no organization with authority over obsidian that is gonna be able to compel them to take out the backer silliness.  no censorship.

self-censorship?  complete different.  folks who don't self-censor is typically suffering from mental or neurological conditions.  is different.  thank goodness.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This just makes me shake my head. I'm engaged to a bisexual woman, have a lesbian aunt, an autistic cousin, myself cope with mental illness, alcoholism is prevalent in my family. If I were to be offended anytime something of any of these things were portrayed in media and make a fuss over it, I would never get anything productive done. Ever. I would spend every moment railing against everything on TV, Radio, in movies and games, etc, etc. All to no response or effect. It's just, smh. 

• Like 12

Okay, reopened. We mods have had to watch this thread all day and we also needed a minute to gather our breath.

The Obsidian forum policy has always been: you can have any opinion you like, you can express it in rather firm ways, and you can also have some joke and banter. We will try to moderate as little as possible, and let you guys talk about things. Obsidian as a company prefers this as well. But we do draw the line at personal attacks, at deliberately infuriating other people, and other things that degrade the conversation and the community for everybody. 

This is obviously a sensitive topic for people. No matter where you stand on it, we ask that you stay minimally civil, and respect that other people may have different opinions, and that this doesn't mean they have terrible intentions, are terribly stupid, or whatever else. We will keep a close eye on this thread. We don't want to stop discussion, but we will have to close it if there's too much abuse, since there's only so much mods can do to keep up. We think there have been plenty of civil and reasonable posts as well as some excessive ones, so we hope the former that is the majority keeps up.

• Like 7

Okay, reopened. We mods have had to watch this thread all day and we also needed a minute to gather our breath.

The Obsidian forum policy has always been: you can have any opinion you like, you can express it in rather firm ways, and you can also have some joke and banter. We will try to moderate as little as possible, and let you guys talk about things. Obsidian as a company prefers this as well. But we do draw the line at personal attacks, at deliberately infuriating other people, and other things that degrade the conversation and the community for everybody. 

This is obviously a sensitive topic for people. No matter where you stand on it, we ask that you stay minimally civil, and respect that other people may have different opinions, and that this doesn't mean they have terrible intentions, are terribly stupid, or whatever else. We will keep a close eye on this thread. We don't want to stop discussion, but we will have to close it if there's too much abuse, since there's only so much mods can do to keep up. We think there have been plenty of civil and reasonable posts as well as some excessive ones, so we hope the former that is the majority keeps up.

Understood. Is there any word on how the developers are reacting to this topic?

• Like 1

Thank you for doing this. I know this controversy in games right now is always pretty intense but I am glad you let people discuss these issues. Of course Personal Attacks should never be tolerated. 

Also Does this mean Obsidian is reading this as well? If so. If you want to go the middle way just release a Patch with an Option to disable these messages and if some people still offended by it, then they are not really worth listening too since they are extremists and just want tp push some Agenda. 

• Like 2

Ok, I'll just repost what I said in the other thread.

It seems TotalBiscuit has recorded a SoundCloud about this issue as well, referring to this Twitter Outrage Campaign as an attempt of censorship similar to what we've seen recently with the Batgirl cover, the Censorship of Lionhead Studios and Months ago the censorship of Divinity Original Sin.

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/pillars-of-transphobia

There is the soundcloud that TB recorded, and now he's beign attacked on twitter by random people and members of the gaming press like former EiC of Gamasutra Leigh Alexander and Katherine Cross which works on the show Feminist Frequency

2TTs3Mz.jpg

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 3