I am aware of the danger that transgendered people are in, but I feel the limerick makes the transphobic subject of the limerick look like an idiot and a drama queen, and rightfully so. It reflects existing transphobic attitudes... and then mercilessly ridicules that attitude. Nowhere does the limerick imply it is horrifying, simply that the character is an unreasonable idiot for being horrified. Having a transphobic character doesn't make the limerick transphobic. At worst, it could be accused of as "triggering" for transgendered people who live through those real life issues - that may be considered in poor taste, but in no way can anyone with an open mind consider it to be offensive. I, personally, feel your read of the content is what you suggest mine is - deliberately dishonest, trying to create controversy. I can understand that people try to be more sensitive about transgendered issues but that doesn't mean adressing those issues in this manner is transphobic.

All I'll say is that I feel you're being deliberately obtuse. If you think I answered your question just to stir the pot as it were, that's a very presumptuous thing to do. You put your thoughts out there and I answered them just as you did mine. Nothing more and nothing less. Your interpretation, when I read it, seems the very definition of equivocation. This is not a game "addressing [trans] issues", it is a backer who tried to hard to be funny and hit the ground with all the grace of a sack of doorknobs. 

At the end of the day, the call is up to Obsidian. I find the content moronic and puerile. Reductive. Simple. Base. It's not going to stop me from playing the game or buying another Obsidian product. Do I think it is wise for the studio to reconsider the content? Sure. Given the realities of development, it's unclear how much of this was just detritus sneaking in through the cracks of a busy rush to whatever the deadline was to have backer content in the game. /shrug 

Please, elaborate on your complaint. I want to know exactly why you think this is transphobic. As far as I can tell it makes the straight guy look like a ridiculous drama queen, not insulting the transvestite or transgendered person - it looks like a more pro-trans sentiment than an anti-trans sentiment to me.

Also, as someone who knows transvestites and transgenders and knows that these are by far not the same and in fact would find being compared incredibly insulting, not even attempting to differentiate the two in your complaint to me seems heterosexist and transphobic by itself, which is an irony of sorts.

I can jump in and explain to the best of my ability. The main reason is because the implication is the man was so disgusted or shamed that he slept with someone he thought was a biological female that he killed himself. That he found them so repulsive once he knew they were not who he thought, that he would rather die than live. That's pretty harsh and in real life, when these things happen, people actually do die. Namely the transperson who is the victim of a murder. It happens and more than you'd think. Some people know friends who were murdered due to this very issue.

Imagine, for a moment, that the "joke" was about race. A man somehow doesn't realize that the person he was sleeping with was of dark skin so he kills himself when he finds out.  It would never really get in the game, I'd imagine. And while race and gender are not the same thing, the implications here are enough that Obsidian isn't capitulating by reconsidering the content. It doesn't even matter if a backer put the content in there. If you're working on a project (and I say this as someone who has worked on big projects with Kickstarter backer content to put in game) and you have hundreds of things to input and it's you and one other person or whatever, you might miss a few things because you have a lead or a producer who is saying "We gotta get the backer data in by the next build!". Just because it got in doesn't mean it got in because it was approved necessarily.

So, let's review: we have a scenario in the game that isn't necessarily about offense but is also about respectfully approaching a real problem within society and we have no indication that the content was given a stamp of approval outside of whoever's job it was to proof and do the data entry. The content itself has vulgar implications that do the studio a disservice and do a disservice to many customers. There's nothing "pro" about it. That's, I would suggest, a deliberately dishonest read of the content. 

I am aware of the danger that transgendered people are in, but I feel the limerick makes the transphobic subject of the limerick look like an idiot and a drama queen, and rightfully so. It reflects existing transphobic attitudes... and then mercilessly ridicules that attitude. Nowhere does the limerick imply it is horrifying, simply that the character is an unreasonable idiot for being horrified. Having a transphobic character doesn't make the limerick transphobic. At worst, it could be accused of as "triggering" for transgendered people who live through those real life issues - that may be considered in poor taste, but in no way can anyone with an open mind consider it to be offensive. I, personally, feel your read of the content is what you suggest mine is - deliberately dishonest, trying to create controversy. I can understand that people try to be more sensitive about transgendered issues but that doesn't mean adressing those issues in this manner is transphobic. Insensitive behaviour and discrimination are not the same.

I'm glad to see that you're looking at this with an open mind and a fair outlook. I hope the people who are in the position of deciding this issue will see your post and understand the counterargument.

• Like 1

Please, elaborate on your complaint. I want to know exactly why you think this is transphobic. As far as I can tell it makes the straight guy look like a ridiculous drama queen, not insulting the transvestite or transgendered person - it looks like a more pro-trans sentiment than an anti-trans sentiment to me.

Also, as someone who knows transvestites and transgenders and knows that these are by far not the same and in fact would find being compared incredibly insulting, not even attempting to differentiate the two in your complaint to me seems heterosexist and transphobic by itself, which is an irony of sorts.

I can jump in and explain to the best of my ability. The main reason is because the implication is the man was so disgusted or shamed that he slept with someone he thought was a biological female that he killed himself. That he found them so repulsive once he knew they were not who he thought, that he would rather die than live. That's pretty harsh and in real life, when these things happen, people actually do die. Namely the transperson who is the victim of a murder. It happens and more than you'd think. Some people know friends who were murdered due to this very issue.

Imagine, for a moment, that the "joke" was about race. A man somehow doesn't realize that the person he was sleeping with was of dark skin so he kills himself when he finds out.  It would never really get in the game, I'd imagine. And while race and gender are not the same thing, the implications here are enough that Obsidian isn't capitulating by reconsidering the content. It doesn't even matter if a backer put the content in there. If you're working on a project (and I say this as someone who has worked on big projects with Kickstarter backer content to put in game) and you have hundreds of things to input and it's you and one other person or whatever, you might miss a few things because you have a lead or a producer who is saying "We gotta get the backer data in by the next build!". Just because it got in doesn't mean it got in because it was approved necessarily.

So, let's review: we have a scenario in the game that isn't necessarily about offense but is also about respectfully approaching a real problem within society and we have no indication that the content was given a stamp of approval outside of whoever's job it was to proof and do the data entry. The content itself has vulgar implications that do the studio a disservice and do a disservice to many customers. There's nothing "pro" about it. That's, I would suggest, a deliberately dishonest read of the content. 

Interpretation of the joke is the issue. People looking for transphobia will find it, people looking for mockery or a drama queen will find it, people looking for rape will find it. That's, ironically, usually how you tell if a poem is good or not. It does not mean, however, that it is one or the other.

Edited by mindswayer
  • Like 2

I hate Unity.

I normally try to stay away from things like this, especially these days where everyone seems to be offended over everything every time.

Still, having backed that game, I'll add this tiny post to the "don't change it" side. Maybe I'm wrong but I've noticed in increasing trend where moral outrage on social media (twitter or elsewhere), is enough to "encourage" creators to change their art.

Others have said it way better than me but, in the end, even if that backer submitted joke was offensive, I would want it to stay. I want to be offended, I don't want to be coddled. Going after what people deem offensive and removing it so they don't have the option of choosing not to see it is kinda infantilizing. And considering people are offended by everything, it is impossible to not offend somebody. Also it is kinda removing the choice for others to choose to like the joke or not.

In the end, if I absolutely had to choose something to be offended about in this game I'll choose this : please remove this bug, I find it offensive, thanks. http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

Full disclosure : white cis male etc...

• Like 4

Regarding that, I'd just like to once again point out that I'm a volunteer moderator and my views do not neccesarily reflect those of Obsidian.

I am aware of the danger that transgendered people are in, but I feel the limerick makes the transphobic subject of the limerick look like an idiot and a drama queen, and rightfully so. It reflects existing transphobic attitudes... and then mercilessly ridicules that attitude. Nowhere does the limerick imply it is horrifying, simply that the character is an unreasonable idiot for being horrified. Having a transphobic character doesn't make the limerick transphobic. At worst, it could be accused of as "triggering" for transgendered people who live through those real life issues - that may be considered in poor taste, but in no way can anyone with an open mind consider it to be offensive. I, personally, feel your read of the content is what you suggest mine is - deliberately dishonest, trying to create controversy. I can understand that people try to be more sensitive about transgendered issues but that doesn't mean adressing those issues in this manner is transphobic.

All I'll say is that I feel you're being deliberately obtuse. If you think I answered your question just to stir the pot as it were, that's a very presumptuous thing to do. You put your thoughts out there and I answered them just as you did mine. Nothing more and nothing less. Your interpretation, when I read it, seems the very definition of equivocation. This is not a game "addressing [trans] issues", it is a backer who tried to hard to be funny and hit the ground with all the grace of a sack of doorknobs. 

At the end of the day, the call is up to Obsidian. I find the content moronic and puerile. Reductive. Simple. Base. It's not going to stop me from playing the game or buying another Obsidian product. Do I think it is wise for the studio to reconsider the content? Sure. Given the realities of development, it's unclear how much of this was just detritus sneaking in through the cracks of a busy rush to whatever the deadline was to have backer content in the game. /shrug 

That is not what I meant, I simply meant that your reading seems to see more things that are offensive than seem to be here (in the way I see it). I did not mean your post was meant as deliberately creating controversy here on the forum, trolling if you will. Sorry if I wasn't clear. :(

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 2

it boggles the mind.

*shrug*

poe is a commercial product, so this ain't a free speech issue... period.  obsidian is trying to make money, and they gotta needs be more sensitive than the typical  misanthropic college undergrad.  

the bit o' backer nonsense is harmless to Gromnir, but it offends some.  take same bit o' backer drivel and make it reference jews or blacks or a dozen other traditionally disenfranchised groups and we would not be having this conversation, would we?  only the most obtuse and social inept 'mongst us would fail to recognize that obsidian needs be careful 'bout including crude racial and religious content in their games, not that we don't have a few such folks posting. hell, some o' our more prolific posters on this board has run afoul o' moderators 'cause o' their pro-nazi iconography, and that is simple message board postings.  such board stuff is censored immediately and without apology by the board moderators.  have such stuff in a game has a much greater chance to harm obsidian reputation, so one would expect greater sensitivity in their commercial releases, yes? 

poe ain't the south park game.  

again, the backer content don't concern us personally, but there is no free speech issues. there is no evil censorship worth fighting.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I saw the "infamous" memorial early this morning, I had the same interpretation that TB posted in his soundcloud.

Actually I felt it was more directed to "Firedorn" taking his life for prejudice, what a fool.

Now to the people that got offended by it, look at the world and say to yourself in whatever tone you find fitting

"I officially lost my day because of a video game joke"

If you find yourself feeling silly, congratulations that's the expected reaction.

• Like 3

I am beginning to think, that if Obsidian is going to make all the SJWs happy, they pretty much have to replace all weapons with whiffle bats, all spells with tennis balls, and all sad stories with good endings. Then they have to of course change the game such that the main villain is some old fat white guy in a business suit with an elephant as his patron symbol and make it so no one dies somehow... except for white people that are heterosexual.

There, all fixed. "Justice" for everyone that matters.

• Like 5

Sometimes I wonder If people wants to be offended.

Of course. Or more accurately, since I doubt many of the people objecting are actually offended themselves, they want to be able to say that something is offensive to a group of people that others are inclined to care about. Most people are pretty good people and don't want to hurt anyone, so it's a very powerful rhetorical tactic to declare yourself the defenders of a group of innocent people that are supposedly being hurt by your chosen target.

People enjoy having power, and this particular tactic gives them the joy of exercising power over others while still being thought of as a champion of good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are a handful of people that actually did, independently, see this and feel a little hurt by it, and they have every right to say so.  But the vast majority of the noise here is from the same group of people we always see doing this.  They've found a very effective rhetorical tactic that allows them to bully others around. They're addicted to the power and they won't stop until people stop freely handing that power right to them.

• Like 3

it boggles the mind.

*shrug*

poe is a commercial product, so this ain't a free speech issue... period.  obsidian is trying to make money, and they gotta needs be more sensitive than the typical  misanthropic college undergrad.  

the bit o' backer nonsense is harmless to Gromnir, but it offends some.  take same bit o' backer drivel and make it reference jews or blacks or a dozen other traditionally disenfranchised groups and we would not be having this conversation, would we?  only the most obtuse and social inept 'mongst us would fail to recognize that obsidian needs be careful 'bout including crude racial and religious content in their games, not that we don't have a few such folks posting. hell, some o' our more prolific posters on this board has run afoul o' moderators 'cause o' their pro-nazi iconography, and that is simple message board postings.  such board stuff is censored immediately and without apology by the board moderators.  have such stuff in a game has a much greater chance to harm obsidian reputation, so one would expect greater sensitivity in their commercial releases, yes? 

poe ain't the south park game.  

again, the backer content don't concern us personally, but there is no free speech issues. there is no evil censorship worth fighting.

HA! Good Fun!

Yes there is. A small loud minority on Twitter or social networks extremists are demanding the removal of some content or else they will be judged as transophobic or even worse.  This is exactly how censorship works.   They do not speak for a majority of people who bought the game nor should they matter in the end.

They are just the loudest right now. 

And I will say it again. If this gets removed I want my money back and they can delete the game form my steam list.  There is already a mod which removes this joke. There is no reason for Obsidian to react at all. 

Edited by Darji
  • Like 4

Are people not allowed to be sexually attracted to people who mislead them about their genitalia?

The reaction is obviously over-the-top, but there's nothing transphobic about reacting negatively to having sexual relations with someone who's configuration wasn't what you expected.

Edited by Zanos
  • Like 3

That is not what I meant, I simply meant that your reading seems to see more things that are offensive than seem to be here (in the way I see it). I did not mean your post was meant as deliberately creating controversy here on the forum, trolling if you will. Sorry if I wasn't clear. :(

It's largely a matter of lived experiences. I don't know what you have and have not experienced or encountered but I've seen more than my share of troubles for other trans individuals and the silliness/petulence of bigots, to my estimation, that the limerick sets out to ridicule. I think that reads a lot of intent. Keep in mind that I don't think this was someone trying to deliberately be mean or mocking either. I don't think there was even that much intentionality. I think they thought they were funny and didn't give it much thought.

So if it is such a complete non-issue, why are there a ton of people shouting about how it would be a TRAVESTY and an ATTACK ON FREE SPEECH to remove a dumb vulgar joke that QC should have caught, but didn't, from the game? If it is, to you, a non-issue - and I totally agree that to anybody who doesn't particularly care about being inclusive, it really should be - then why not just go "oh okay, lets remove that then" and be done with it? The torrent of complaints by people who are not, at all, affected by this is baffling.

Censorship affects everyone. It might start small. Yes it's only a little joke, so why not just remove it, right? But before long, you'll have thousands of people shouting to remove half your game because there's something in it that they found "offensive". And who exactly decides that it's "dumb and vulgar"? You? Well what if someone disagrees, what if someone doesn't find anything wrong at all in that joke? Or even worse, finds it funny.

That would be absurd, but it is not a thing that actually happens, because, well, it would be absurd. If somebody went to Obsidian going "You should remove maces from the game! I find maces offensive! Somebody killed my wife with a mace!", that would not result in the removal of maces from the game, even though that person might reasonably claim that the presence of maces makes them uncomfortable. Maces are a part of the game, and removing them is not a thing that is going to happen - and in that case, maybe PoE just isn't for that person.

Racism or transmisogyny in backer comments is not in any way like that in more than one way - it contributes nothing to the game, while making whole swaths of people feel unwelcome. Going from there to "but then you'll have people wanting you to censor EVERYTHING!" is silly.

(And who decides what is "offensive"? Well, really, everybody for themselves - but if there's a lot of people who find something offensive, often because it causes or reinforces violent behaviour towards them or their peers, it's common courtesy not do do it. As a fairly harmless example, I tend to swear a lot when driving alone, but I try not to say "****" &c around children, because that makes people upset. It costs me nothing, and improves life for everybody, including me.)

nobody is forcing obsidian to do anything.  there is no censorship... period.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Another backer of the game since eons ago, and just browsing because of a BSOD while playing the game. And then I ran across this thread....

At first I thought that one insignificant dumb tombstone limerick could be removed from the game without too much of a problem -- I always default to wanting to please and get approval from others -- but after reading Fynnding's awesome reply I really hope that Obsidian doesn't encourage those who use manufactured outrage like this to silence creativity. I also took time to listen to a Soundcloud recording from TotalBiscuit who argues eloquently for the freedom of developers, and who raises some good points in rebuttal.

In the end those who are complaining may feel outraged, and for that I do want to help them, but they have ownership of their emotions, not anyone else. Removing this one low-brow humourous tombstone won't solve their issues with the world around them or keep them safe from their own phobias, unfortunately.

• Like 3

By all means this was clearly a joke and humor is subjective. You have the right to be offended BUT it doesn´t give you any rights above that. Especialy not one that calls for removing it because you don´t like it. (thats how a little child would act) You have no saying in this, if Obsidian decides to remove it, its their call. However i will say this:

IF they remove it, they can be expected to get bothered even more for other stuff in the game, we all have seen how that "SJW" group acts. Most people responding to this seem to have no problem with it whatsover. They would be cheating a backer out of his/her reward. They would anger more people by doing it.

And the most important thing anyone should consider to give this some context: This was started by a person who by all means cries about female superiority, striking fear into men and "killallmen". I´m not making this up, look at her insane twitter. It doesn´t get more ridiculous than that and you want to agree with that person who clearly just WANTS to start a controversy where none exists? Think about that.

• Like 3

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

At no point does it definitively say anyone had sex...

I think you're wrong given the meaning of the word bedded:

Bed
Past tense: bedded; past participle: bedded

settle down to sleep or rest for the night, typically in an improvised place.
"he usually bedded down on newspapers in the church porch"
  • settle a person or animal down to sleep or rest for the night.
  • informal
    have sexual intercourse with.
    "he should bed a woman his own age

The last woman be bedded, turned out a man

In-context only the informal meaning makes sense (especially considering the 'hero in bed' moniker given in the opening stanza). 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Changing this to appease the internet censors will be a slippery slope that will curb your creative freedom to write stories as you see fit and prevent you from exploring any themes that might be "offensive" to someone, somewhere on the planet. Say goodbye to dark, mature themes in your games, for instance, lest we might anger the perpetually angry.

It's worth noting the double standards of some of the people involved in requesting the excision of this content, especially the very person who first started this:

https://archive.today/56XGn

https://archive.today/GaUcF

https://archive.today/rJTjG

https://archive.today/NviKC

https://archive.today/OnIuA

https://archive.today/Symxm

https://archive.today/eKYQh

"It's a joke when we say it, but don't you dare include it in a work of fiction that, by no means, shows the author endorses the behavior of any of the characters!"

I don't like any of the backer content myself, as I find it varies wildly in quality (more often than not falling into the fanfic territory), but I'd rather not tailor the game to suit me since I know some people out there enjoy it.

One thing I would be all for is a toggle to turn off all backer content in the options menu, but this is something that will very likely be modded anyway at some point.

• Like 1

And Sawyer already bended over to them:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/582200461127634945

I wish I didn't back this game.

I wish he gave as much consideration to a backer as he gives to Cheong, a human with a very dubious past and present. 

All I ask is that Obsidian is transparent here.  If they choose to remove this backer's paid for and approved award, they acknowledge it and stated the reasons why.  I can use that knowledge in the future to vote with my wallet and give my opinion on the company.  I'll be saddened if they alter the game because they got cyberbullied but ultimately it is their choice. 

I really hoped that using kickstarter meant they copuld make a game free from outside pressure but it looks like they exchanged a publisher's influence for that of a blogger.

• Like 2

HA! Good Fun!

Actually, no, that's not true but it doesn't really matter as people censor things all the time (e.g. if you know your grandmother doesn't like swearing you might self-censor cursing while around her). It's still censorship.

• Like 3

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

HA! Good Fun!

I worked on a project where we got a fair amount of complain from individuals saying they had an issue with how we were portraying native Amercians. The criticism was made with little knowledge of the game's content (we were only in the early stages of back beta) but the criticism and pressure was there. At the end of the day, the studio had a choice to make. We kept the character in. We felt she was a strong character.  

There's always a choice when you're a development studio. No one has a gun to your head and people on "both sides" on this are applying equal pressure. "Change it or I won't buy from you!". "Remove it and I demand my money back!". What the "right" decision is, is merely whatever the studio thinks is in line with its standards and fitting for the text.

So if it is such a complete non-issue, why are there a ton of people shouting about how it would be a TRAVESTY and an ATTACK ON FREE SPEECH to remove a dumb vulgar joke that QC should have caught, but didn't, from the game? If it is, to you, a non-issue - and I totally agree that to anybody who doesn't particularly care about being inclusive, it really should be - then why not just go "oh okay, lets remove that then" and be done with it? The torrent of complaints by people who are not, at all, affected by this is baffling.

Censorship affects everyone. It might start small. Yes it's only a little joke, so why not just remove it, right? But before long, you'll have thousands of people shouting to remove half your game because there's something in it that they found "offensive". And who exactly decides that it's "dumb and vulgar"? You? Well what if someone disagrees, what if someone doesn't find anything wrong at all in that joke? Or even worse, finds it funny.

That would be absurd, but it is not a thing that actually happens, because, well, it would be absurd. If somebody went to Obsidian going "You should remove maces from the game! I find maces offensive! Somebody killed my wife with a mace!", that would not result in the removal of maces from the game, even though that person might reasonably claim that the presence of maces makes them uncomfortable. Maces are a part of the game, and removing them is not a thing that is going to happen - and in that case, maybe PoE just isn't for that person.

Racism or transmisogyny in backer comments is not in any way like that in more than one way - it contributes nothing to the game, while making whole swaths of people feel unwelcome. Going from there to "but then you'll have people wanting you to censor EVERYTHING!" is silly.

(And who decides what is "offensive"? Well, really, everybody for themselves - but if there's a lot of people who find something offensive, often because it causes or reinforces violent behaviour towards them or their peers, it's common courtesy not do do it. As a fairly harmless example, I tend to swear a lot when driving alone, but I try not to say "****" &c around children, because that makes people upset. It costs me nothing, and improves life for everybody, including me.)

If a whole swath of people are feeling unwelcome to what amounts to one of the most inoffensive things I read in the game so far then they have far worse issues to worry about. Also your example is flawed. The game is made, the deed is done. A better analogy would be someone threatening to call you a "transphobe" because you made a joke about it to someone.

• Like 5

“Here lies Firedorn, a hero in bed.

“He once was alive, but now he’s dead.

“The last woman he bedded, turned out a man

“And crying in shame, off a cliff he ran.”

Firedorn. Bard, transmysogynistic scatlord, skeleton.

Again, throwing my hat into the "keep it in" crowd.  There are even trans game-backers (like @TechyFolks) who want it to stay.  The limerick in question is open to interpretation and may or may not be offensive (see; Death of the Author), and with sex, slavery, drugs, religion, etc. all swirling around, why did one random person on Twitter decide that random joke rhyme #27 was a bridge to far?  Because being offended now grants people power.  Power over people who actually create great things.  When that isn't enough, they lie;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBSdd8qUUAAI6Of.png:large
Note that in the "offensive" limerick, no trans person is murdered.  Why is this person stating that this joke depicts such?  How many people taking offense at this are in fact offended by something that doesn't even exist?

Giving people the option to ignore backer content is fine, and I've heard tell of a mod currently being made that does such.  I endorse this, even though this also blocks my own backer content.  As for Obsidian, I suggest they apologize for the offense caused, but note that it is backer content and not the views and beliefs held by Obsidian staff.

This will likely result in a demand for the backer's identity (if it isn't already known) and/or attempts to find offensive material in the main storyline, which will no doubt be found and crowed about.

Obsidian; these are BULLIES.  They are HARASSING and ATTACKING you online.  They're everything the media has told you is wrong about online communities, hiding behind a veneer of "progressive" outrage so that they can move from minor scandal to scandal while feeling superior to people who dare to not kneel and kiss the ring.  Hell, they're now trying to get a smear campaign going against John Bain (aka Total Biscuit) due to his eloquent defense of the limerick, trying to paint him as a transphobe because, well, insults suck.

I'm just some schmuck, and I can stand up to these bullies.  I pray that Obsidian, Sawyer, Avellone, et. al. can find as much strength as I have.

• Like 9