The Trials of Durance

Still not getting the first dream event on my current playthrough. Could it be that there is some dialogue option in his "standard" dialogues that somehow sets a flag not allowing us to get the first vision?

On my first playthrough (where it worked fine), I pretty much went top to bottom for his dialogues. Think he has like 3 starting nodes, 1 about religion, 1 about Magran and 1 about himself. So I exhausted the religion stuff first, then onward from there.

On this playthrough, I've picked a bit from each node each time I've talked to him so I'm thinking there may have been some option there that prevented the vision from happening.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Ha! I knew there was something fishy about Durance's quest! I'll probably wait for the patch 'cause I don't really like messing with game files but thanks for letting us know quickly about it :)

the 3 files fix worked for me , nice :thumbsup:  but i was wondering if i'll have to revert back to the original files when the next update will come out  :shrugz:

Still not getting the first dream event on my current playthrough. Could it be that there is some dialogue option in his "standard" dialogues that somehow sets a flag not allowing us to get the first vision?

On my first playthrough (where it worked fine), I pretty much went top to bottom for his dialogues. Think he has like 3 starting nodes, 1 about religion, 1 about Magran and 1 about himself. So I exhausted the religion stuff first, then onward from there.

On this playthrough, I've picked a bit from each node each time I've talked to him so I'm thinking there may have been some option there that prevented the vision from happening.

laughably, I got the dream finally, while in the endless paths under my keep, AFTER I had actually seen the response for the staff appear in my dialogue options and already gone through all the dialogue for it.  this was WELL into the game; somewhere near finishing all the sidequests in the city and my chars were all level 7.

it did however, finally move the quest forward.

it makes me wonder if you have to camp many times in a row to get it to trigger, and not just once or twice before resting at an inn?

because the time it triggered for me was the first time I had camped more than 3 times in a row without using an inn.

Edited by Ichthyic

Sigh, I am stuck at the second part "Continue to get to know Durance". I talked him to death and no advance. What is suppose to happen ?

From what I gather you're supposed to get a second vision of him.

I'm also stuck at the same part (or at least haven't gotten the second vision yet at level 10). I've been poking at my saves and the conversation files and it looks like the second vision isn't queued for me yet (nDuranceDream2Queued is 0) - would be cool to know what exactly is required for it to trigger. Do you need to be in Act III? I noticed there a a couple of options in durances conversation that don't get marked as read, but I haven't found anything new below them. Or does his "stop asking questions until resting" response you get after a while mark stuff as read even if the question doesn't get answered & scripts triggered?

Here is my save file if any dev wants to look at it: http://constexpr.org/tmp/baf38893-69ef-41dc-93ad-b4ec1b7cdba3 quicksave.savegame

Maybe I'm just too impatient, but I don't want to end up missing out on Durance's story.

I've had a problems with the dialogue line to discuss the visions with Durance appearing, so i installed all the 3 files put in the dropbox. The conversation option did appear, i explored it, but the quest didn't get updated. And there seem to be no contionuation :( Did i do sth wrong?

upd: Oh, and i did it very late in the act 3. Can this be a problem?

Edited by Avestus

upd2: Now that i noticed it: the log in my journal has only two entries about Durance, the last one goes like "Discuss your visions with Duance". It's second here as well:  http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Trials_of_Durance

Even though logically i should've been at least at the point: "Find out from Durance what the fading symbols meant."

It seems like the whole problem occured much earlier and i didn't notice t :(

Thanks everyone.

I did find a way in which you might not be able to discuss the vision. There are multiple pathways to get to a lot of Durance's topics. There's one where if you ask him about the etchings on his staff, he'll start talking about things that make the game think you've already discussed the vision, even when you haven't.

If that is your problem, I have a fix you are welcome to try out. I am too late to get it into the latest patch, I believe, but if you want to test it out on your own (and at your own risk :) ), I have a dropbox link with a couple updated files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/78pcyzkpykskhcz/AACuB_hCwiPyj8DQlf01r9E4a?dl=0

These would go in the Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\companions subdirectory of your game directory. (For steam, it's Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\companions), and should overwrite two existing files there. For your own safety, I recommend making copies of the originals before you overwrite them with these.

The fix prevents you from being able to ask too early about the staff etchings, and also employs a better criterion for whether you've discussed the vision with Durance yet. I believe it will work retroactively.

Let me know how it goes!

EDIT: I screwed up and uploaded the wrong versions of the files at first. If you'd already gotten them before seeing this edit, you'll want to grab them again. 

Eric

I need to apply these fix files, but when I try to follow the link to dropbox it comes up to an error page... EDIT: I don't know if you fixed it, or my problem resolved itself, but either way I got the files, and the quest is working properly!

Edited by Kalessin

I also thought this was a bug, then i spend more time with him traveling..talked to him again and it was "hidden" under more dialogue options, which i likes because i like talking to him, not sure if this is a "bug". I think you are meant to talk to him. ie force talk him about him.

Edit: just like GM who you also have to confront.

Edited by cirdanx

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

I'm not sure whether this is related to the problems people are having, but I also had trouble getting this quest to advance and what actually solved it was resting "in the wild". That is, don't rest at an inn or at the stronghold, but in a place where you actually have to use up a Camp Supply. After the resting cutscene ends, Durance will initiate a conversation and the quest will advance.

I am unable to trigger the second vision after patch 1.04.

I tried to sleep in the wilderness as instructed, and nothing happens.

I have a feeling this may be related with the companion swap bug (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77793-bug-all-party-member-personal-stats-have-disappeared/). Since I swapped Durance for other companion and brought him back to the party, he now has "0 hours traveled" as per the character screen. If the quest is tied to time traveled with Durance (which makes sense), then I'm effectively stuck unless I pass time artificially.

Another possibility is that I triggered some dialog regarding Durance's Staff prematurely (the one where you say "a symbol faded" - I didn't see that happening in the first vision, yet I was able to comment on it).

The other possibility is that I'm just doing the quest wrong (i.e.: I missed some important conversation on the dialog tree or I'm just impatient and need to wait).

I am unable to trigger the second vision after patch 1.04.

I tried to sleep in the wilderness as instructed, and nothing happens.

I have a feeling this may be related with the companion swap bug (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77793-bug-all-party-member-personal-stats-have-disappeared/). Since I swapped Durance for other companion and brought him back to the party, he now has "0 hours traveled" as per the character screen. If the quest is tied to time traveled with Durance (which makes sense), then I'm effectively stuck unless I pass time artificially.

Another possibility is that I triggered some dialog regarding Durance's Staff prematurely (the one where you say "a symbol faded" - I didn't see that happening in the first vision, yet I was able to comment on it).

The other possibility is that I'm just doing the quest wrong (i.e.: I missed some important conversation on the dialog tree or I'm just impatient and need to wait).

Ok, I feel silly.

Just after finishing this post, I was able to trigger the second vision.  :-

It took about five consecutive rests in the wild (I took advantage of Ranga's kind offering to sleep on her camp without using supplies), but I finally saw the vision, and the later dialog with Durance proceeded without hitches.

Sorry for any confusions I might have caused.

How do you trigger even first vision?

With 1.04 I rested couple of times (in wildness, just to be sure), and nothing triggeres after that.
Also all conversion options where used up with Durance.

Are fixes posted in this thread already integrated with 1.04?

EDIT:

Oh, and yeah, my quest status is still "Spend time traveling with Durance".

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I just got first vision from Durance by camping 4 times in the wildness (currently in act 2).

Reloading the save and trying again led to the same thing.

Is this hardcoded requirement?

Do you need to rest specific amount of time in wildness in order to advance Durance quest.

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

Is this hardcoded requirement?

Do you need to rest specific amount of time in wildness in order to advance Durance quest.

Yes, Durance's visions (like any post-rest conversation with the companions) can only trigger every few rests using camping supplies. Inns don't count and the the exact number of rests required for the next rest conversation is randomized each time.

For durance, you also need to progress in the main quest. AFAICT, the first vision unlocks after you get to Act 2 and the second vision in Act 3.

• Like 1

I did discover one thing for those curious.

While camping rest is required to trigger Durance conversation, inns rests do contribute to decreasing number of rests needed to trigger conversation.

For example, I noticed I needed 3 camp rests to get Durance first trigger in Act 2.

But after I rested 2 times in the inn, next camp rest triggered the vision.

EDIT:

Just to make sure, I did another test where I rested in the inn 4 times. In this case also, next camp rest triggered the vision.

Edited by player1