The Trials of Durance

Your fix worked for me. The conversation option was available and the quest moved forward.

I also remember asking him about the etchings on his staff a while ago, so this explains that.

Thanks a lot :).

Edit : Given the nature of the fix, is there any old conversation leaf you advise us to re-run?

Edited by Senka

Your fix worked for me. The conversation option was available and the quest moved forward.

I also remember asking him about the etchings on his staff a while ago, so this explains that.

Thanks a lot :).

Edit : Given the nature of the fix, is there any old conversation leaf you advise us to re-run?

Oh good, glad to hear it. No I think we're okay, as long as the option to discuss the vision is showing up for you now. Let me know if anything else weird happens - Durance's dialogue is the most complicated in the game, and the number of possible traversals through his topics makes it very difficult to test.

I'll update this thread if I run into anything else, but it's been a very smooth ride outside of this one edge-case bug.

And yes, Durance seems to be a very complicated character but I'm enjoying a lot peeking inside what makes him tick in such a way. He's very interesting in his own, brazen way. I can't begin to imagine what debugging him must be like.

So thank you again for the fix, I never imagined being able to resume playing before next week. I really appreciate it :).

Thanks everyone.

I did find a way in which you might not be able to discuss the vision. There are multiple pathways to get to a lot of Durance's topics. There's one where if you ask him about the etchings on his staff, he'll start talking about things that make the game think you've already discussed the vision, even when you haven't.

If that is your problem, I have a fix you are welcome to try out. I am too late to get it into the latest patch, I believe, but if you want to test it out on your own (and at your own risk :) ), I have a dropbox link with a couple updated files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/78pcyzkpykskhcz/AACuB_hCwiPyj8DQlf01r9E4a?dl=0

These would go in the Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\companions subdirectory of your game directory. (For steam, it's Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\companions), and should overwrite two existing files there. For your own safety, I recommend making copies of the originals before you overwrite them with these.

The fix prevents you from being able to ask too early about the staff etchings, and also employs a better criterion for whether you've discussed the vision with Durance yet. I believe it will work retroactively.

Let me know how it goes!

EDIT: I screwed up and uploaded the wrong versions of the files at first. If you'd already gotten them before seeing this edit, you'll want to grab them again. 

Eric

Thank you very much, Eric. Fixed it for me as well. Thought I would have to beat the game without completing Durance's storyline, which I very much enjoyed, but thanks to this fix I can continue to experience this amazing game fully :)

It did not work for me.

but then, I never even GOT the dream that is supposed to trigger.  Have traveled with durance for almost a week of gametime, rested at least half a dozen times.

never got the dream.

tried resting after I overwrote the conversation files with these ones.... still no dream, though it DID add new lines about the staff... but nothing about a symbol missing.

the quest did not progress.

sorry chief.

:(

I'm currently in Act 3 and I'm having difficulty getting through Durance's conversations as well. I believe that when I was discussing the last vision with him, that I accidently asked about the symbols as opposed to mentioning how they faded (which was an option at the time). I do not recall if I was given the option of mentioning how they faded afterwards, though I can't seem to find anything about it in his dialogue now. I can just ask him about what the symbols mean. I have since gone through (what I believe to be) all of his (non race/class/god specific) dialogue at this point, having already had the conversation with Magran.

I was able to press him quite a bit in the conversation after speaking to Magran, though even with all of that effort (through multiple attempts), I'm still left with eventually choosing "I'm not certain - it's just a feeling I have.". Am I supposed to be able to get through this, or is this just another dead end for now?

Copy of my savegame:

https://mega.co.nz/#!xdMxkTZY!_VFMKtnBw4ucvg_wfIB6WWTHTDlEX24USCbZFdzQiaQ

edit: For the record, I applied the above fix and tried to find some new dialogue (without luck), though I'm not sure if that was even meant to fix the issue I'm having.

Edited by elfbarf
  • Like 1

I'm currently in Act 3 and I'm having difficulty getting through Durance's conversations as well. I believe that when I was discussing the last vision with him, that I accidently asked about the symbols as opposed to mentioning how they faded (which was an option at the time). I do not recall if I was given the option of mentioning how they faded afterwards, though I can't seem to find anything about it in his dialogue now. I can just ask him about what the symbols mean. I have since gone through (what I believe to be) all of his (non race/class/god specific) dialogue at this point, having already had the conversation with Magran.

I was able to press him quite a bit in the conversation after speaking to Magran, though even with all of that effort (through multiple attempts), I'm still left with eventually choosing "I'm not certain - it's just a feeling I have.". Am I supposed to be able to get through this, or is this just another dead end for now?

Copy of my savegame:

edit: For the record, I applied the above fix and tried to find some new dialogue (without luck), though I'm not sure if that was even meant to fix the issue I'm having.

Good news! Nothing is wrong with your game and you have not encountered any bugs. Keep playing the game normally. :)

• Like 1

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I have applied the fix that has been suggested by Eric Fenstermaker. Rested 3 times to trigger the dream. But haven't seen the dream yet.

My problem is the same. I have gone through all the possible conversation options before the supposed dream happened. Now I cannot progress in the quest.

Here is the link to my saved game file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjhbnv3cnzfz6rb/34fa2ca7add641c6ac0c84f02c7a850b%209656332%20EndlessPathsofOdNuaLevel5.savegame?dl=0

I hope I can solve this problem. Thanks !

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I have applied the fix that has been suggested by Eric Fenstermaker. Rested 3 times to trigger the dream. But haven't seen the dream yet.

My problem is the same. I have gone through all the possible conversation options before the supposed dream happened. Now I cannot progress in the quest.

Here is the link to my saved game file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjhbnv3cnzfz6rb/34fa2ca7add641c6ac0c84f02c7a850b%209656332%20EndlessPathsofOdNuaLevel5.savegame?dl=0

I hope I can solve this problem. Thanks !

Haven't had a chance to look at the save but it's worth noting that resting in an inn doesn't count toward advancing the quest. Have to be camping.

Haven't had a chance to look at the save but it's worth noting that resting in an inn doesn't count toward advancing the quest. Have to be camping.

Well that might explain why I never advanced to the last stage of the Trials of Durance: I avoid camping whenever possible.

• Like 1

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I had the same issue, so downloaded the patch.

I don't get the indicated dialogue of the faded symbols - instead I have a (new) option - "I saw somthing strange. You were sitting by the fire and I saw a great light from your staff".

Sounds like it may be the same as elfbarf and everything is fine?

Or alternatively if not I can upload a save game for you.

Copy of my savegame:

Good news! Nothing is wrong with your game and you have not encountered any bugs. Keep playing the game normally. :)

I had the same issue, but I kept playing the game normally and when I confronted Thaos I got the "Quest Failed: Trials of Durance" message :(

Well that might explain why I never advanced to the last stage of the Trials of Durance: I avoid camping whenever possible.

If this may help, I had the dialogue after resting in my stronghold.

My situation is pretty similar, but a little different. I am able to get to the point where I can talk to Durance about how I think Magran was allied with Woedica, but I only have 1 option other than "It's just a feeling I have". I've used all the dialogue options that aren't restricted like elfbarf, but I can't progress any further. The only quest I have left is this and the main quest.

Here's my save if it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t12h98e8k9wm3lg/1f124f8b937940438aeb013c704b4292%2025558615%20TheCelestialSapling.savegame?dl=0

• Like 1

^^ditto that.

I finally gave up and used the console to force-forward to the next quest step.

now I'm supposedly at the NEXT dream step, but still.... no dream.

sorry chief, but there is definitely an issue with the dream conversations triggering.  don't know what it is, but now you have 3 different people reporting it.

maybe the next patch.

quite frustrating really, as I find Durance's story to be by far the most interesting of all the companions.

Edited by Ichthyic

My first time playing the game, everything about this quest worked just fine for me. Everything progressed and so forth.

On this playthrough though, I'm not getting the first "resting event" despite having rested a lot in the wild, and I'm now almost up to Act II.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm having an issue with the last part. I'm up to the 'Convince Durance' part of the quest, which, from looking around, seems to be the final part. But every time I speak to him I'm only able to say "I just have a feeling." I've exhausted every other dialogue option and rested way too many times and I'm at the part right before the end game.

Here's my save file. Any help would be appreciated!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7iqz72rwu6sacv/f361da32d4c140b4a2d65f74325f0229%2024166813%20BurialIsle.savegame?dl=0

I also am at the last step with needing to convince Duran of Magran/Woedica working together, and I don't have enough options to do so. I have exhausted the entirety of his dialogue tree, from what I can tell.

Here's my save file, so you can tell me if I just am failing to see what needs to be done, or if there's a bug:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vu3gt3j1bgs125/fdad894130824eb7b2fd03d2d0b1503d%2019428834%20Brighthollow.savegame?dl=0

I also am at the last step with needing to convince Duran of Magran/Woedica working together, and I don't have enough options to do so. I have exhausted the entirety of his dialogue tree, from what I can tell.

Here's my save file, so you can tell me if I just am failing to see what needs to be done, or if there's a bug:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vu3gt3j1bgs125/fdad894130824eb7b2fd03d2d0b1503d%2019428834%20Brighthollow.savegame?dl=0

Everyone who's having trouble convincing Durance is experiencing a separate issue than the one from the start of the thread. I've added a third file to the dropbox folder that will fix the problem - worked on the three saves I tested. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/78pcyzkpykskhcz/AACuB_hCwiPyj8DQlf01r9E4a?dl=0

Was actually not a bug so much as the characters in question didn't meet the stat/background requirements to make any of the arguments that would persuade Durance. But I think one of those in particular was overconstrained, so I've relaxed it accordingly - if you've talked to Durance about a certain topic, you logically ought to be able to bring it up without meeting a bunch of stat prerequisites. 

Fix will be available widely in the next patch, but for adventurous folks who want to give it a try, you are welcome to download it and override the same files in your conversation directory (see one of my previous posts in this thread for instructions on that).

• Like 3