The Trials of Durance

It is a convoluted sub option below 2-3 layers of choices you already made. 

I believe it was somewhere under the.... 

... i believe your god tried to murder you dialog tree. I'm not sure though, just try all the options if you cant find it ;). All i remember is, that it isn't named "talk about [insert god name i forgot] - at least, I presume that's where you're stuck.

--------------------

The site is so slow, I hope this wont be a doublepost :getlost:

Have the same issue. Got the dream, the quest objectives changed, telling me to speak to Durance and the dialog icon appeared on his portrait. But when I click it I get the same dialog options I get at any other time. Tried to go through his dialog tree with no success. At this point it seems bugged, which is really depressing because Durance's story was pretty intriguing. Has anyone found a workaround for it yet? Maybe the place you rest at before the dream affects it in some way?

It might be necessary to

do the Galawain (Magran and Abydon) quest. This conversation/quest will give you additional options.

Don't really know what exactly advanced the conversation in this case. At one point i thought I was stuck too, but I simply kept playing and, when i redid some of the dialog, he reacted differently. As I said earlier, it was buried pretty deep in his dialog tree.

Thanks. Will continue on and hope I can advance this quest. Will post here if I succeed. Btw, the quest you're talking about, is it in the main storyline or one of the side ones?

It's an optional branch in the main questline. 

[minor spoiler]

At some point you have to pray to one of four gods(or two, or all of them). I tried all of them, since the conversations where pretty interesting. One of those(Galawain) gave the additional option(s).

After resting, I've received a vision and the quest prompts me to discuss it with Durance - but the option isn't available in the dialogue tree.

Is there any way to fix this, other than loading?

If this is a bug I'd like to get it fixed ASAP. We haven't seen anything like it internally. I'll explain what should be happening. If it isn't happening for you, let me know what you are seeing, and also, if you could, it'd be very helpful for you to file a support ticket and submit a savegame to our QA team if you've got one. Thanks. And bear with me here... the dialogue is kind of a rat's nest, structurally.

The way it should play out is, you talk to Durance and he says one of four things (they cycle):

[spoilers]

"Thought I felt your eyes on me. Now come the words."

"And what must you say now?"

"Does something ail you?"

"Your face is full of need." Durance snorts. "It looks to burst if you didn't speak."

Then you should say:

"I had questions I wanted to ask you."

He responds:

"If doubts and curiosity plague you, you're skinning your knuckles on the wrong door."

You should have the option:

"I had another vision of you. One of the symbols on your staff - it was dying."

One of two things can happen after that. If you've already been asking him questions, he'll shush you and you'll need to rest to approach him again about it (using the same dialogue choices). If you haven't asked him anything yet since the last rest (more likely since you just rested), you should get a response that starts:

"Durance looks at you, challenging. 'You see many things that aren't there, Watcher.'"

At this point you should have one of two options:

1. "It was the Godhammer symbol. I saw twelve circles. Eleven faded away."

2. "I saw a symbol with twelve circles. What does it represent?"

If you see option 1 and choose it, you should get a quest update right there and we're good. If you see option 2, it means you haven't asked Durance about the Godhammer symbol on his staff before (so your character doesn't recognize it on sight). When you choose it, you should see:

"Durance frowns, and the words come slowly. 'That symbol. The Godhammer.'"

You should see the option:

"Then it was the Godhammer symbol I saw extinguished on your staff."

If you pick that, it should update the quest. There are some other options there, and if you accidentally take them you'll go to other places in his dialogue, but you should be able to get back to either of the above journal updating paths by choosing "I had questions" when it's available (i.e. same place in his dialogue that comes up when you first talk to him).

Anybody experiencing this issue, please give that a try and let me know if and where you go wrong, and if you do, let me know what you're seeing instead. Thanks!

This do not show at all, making the questline bugged.

Mine is bugged too, made this account on the forums just to check if the bug was already reported.

Same as leaderreborn

I say:

He responds:
"If doubts and curiosity plague you, you're skinning your knuckles on the wrong door."

I don't have the option:

The "Trials of Durance" quest tells me to talk to Durance, I have a dialog icon on his portrait but no dialogue option. So it's obviously a bug. Will file a support ticket with a savegame.

Ok, this may be stupid, but I just spent 15 minutes trying to find out how to file a support ticket and couldn't figure it out. Should I just start a topic in Technical Support section or there is a separate form for tickets elsewhere?

Edited by AlmightyO

I had the dialogue pop-up with Durance after the vision, don't remember exactly what happened but the quest progress didn't update. Now I can't find anything in his dialogue options to progress it. I'm in Act 3, so I assume I should be able to do by now.

Here's a save file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4aelaoapq4a7a6w/0c4d19014a8d4e60ad0f156d7eac424a_15164491_Hearthsong.savegame

After resting, I've received a vision and the quest prompts me to discuss it with Durance - but the option isn't available in the dialogue tree.

If this is a bug I'd like to get it fixed ASAP. We haven't seen anything like it internally. I'll explain what should be happening. If it isn't happening for you, let me know what you are seeing, and also, if you could, it'd be very helpful for you to file a support ticket and submit a savegame to our QA team if you've got one. Thanks. And bear with me here... the dialogue is kind of a rat's nest, structurally.

The way it should play out is, you talk to Durance and he says one of four things (they cycle):

[spoilers]

"Your face is full of need." Durance snorts. "It looks to burst if you didn't speak."

Then you should say:

He responds:

One of two things can happen after that. If you've already been asking him questions, he'll shush you and you'll need to rest to approach him again about it (using the same dialogue choices). If you haven't asked him anything yet since the last rest (more likely since you just rested), you should get a response that starts:

"Durance looks at you, challenging. 'You see many things that aren't there, Watcher.'"

If you see option 1 and choose it, you should get a quest update right there and we're good. If you see option 2, it means you haven't asked Durance about the Godhammer symbol on his staff before (so your character doesn't recognize it on sight). When you choose it, you should see:

If you pick that, it should update the quest. There are some other options there, and if you accidentally take them you'll go to other places in his dialogue, but you should be able to get back to either of the above journal updating paths by choosing "I had questions" when it's available (i.e. same place in his dialogue that comes up when you first talk to him).

Anybody experiencing this issue, please give that a try and let me know if and where you go wrong, and if you do, let me know what you're seeing instead. Thanks!

Hey Eric, thanks for answering. Here's how it looks for me:

[spoilers]

Then you should say:

He responds:

After that I'm getting only these responses:

1. Why were we supposed to meet?

2. I wanted to ask you about the region and its history.

3. Tell me about Magran.

4. I wanted to know more about you.

5. So you constructed the Godhammer?

6. Let's keep moving.

I'll send the ticket and a savegame.

[spoilers]

Then you should say:

He responds:

Hey Eric, thanks for answering. Here's how it looks for me:

[spoilers]

Then you should say:

He responds:

After that I'm getting only these responses:

1. Why were we supposed to meet?

2. I wanted to ask you about the region and its history.

3. Tell me about Magran.

4. I wanted to know more about you.

5. So you constructed the Godhammer?

6. Let's keep moving.

I'll send the ticket and a savegame.

Great, thank you. That's very helpful.

Great, thank you. That's very helpful.

Eric, should we send the tickets through the backer portal support option (it's fairly specific: Please note: This service is only intended for customer support issues relating to your pledges, purchases, and fulfillment)?

Hope we can help you get to the bottom of this as Durance's one of the most interesting companions.

Hardest quest in the game, only one left for me =(

It is actually possible to do all of the quests in the game in one playthrough ? I was kind of expecting that as you cosy up to one faction you would alienate others therefore making it impossible to do all of their quests.

I am having the same issue as Karranthain.

Another piece of information related to Durance's dream, if this helps. I remember quicksaving before an inn, having the dream and then reloading soon after for some reason. I slept at the inn again, and the dream didn't trigger this time. So far so good, it might be random.

Later on, I triggered the dream but didn't have the conversation option with Durance to talk about it exactly like Karranthain described. Is my save any help?

Hi, after 10 hours of playing,i'm having same issue.
I have the quest to talk to durance,i tried all the possible lines ,but i have the same dialogue as the OP.  All the lines are "greyed", and i don't have any line about a simble that is dying.
I

Sorry for the delayed response - have been out sick.

This thread explains procedure on posting bugs: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72439-must-read-how-to-report-an-issue/

It sounds like putting your save in a dropbox is the easiest way for our QA dept. to get to it. I've spoken with our QA lead to fast track this particular issue when they see it. I'm going to keep looking at it to see if I can figure out how to reproduce this, but there was nothing obvious from the description so far. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

@Erik

Same issue here. I've just signed to let you guys know that I have a theory why this isn't working properly. So right after I met Durance I explored every dialogue option I had (but AFTER the initial dialogue, when he was a part of my team already) and among these I've seen options and answers you listed above (and they made no sense to me at that time). So that makes me think the quest dialogue is already "used up", so the game won't let me replay it.

I know that you're working on fixing the issue, but could you give us any temporary workaround just for now? Maybe a console command that will force the dialogue?

@Erik

Thanks for the update, I just posted my bug report including my save as you advised.

I share a bit of the circumstances Azurkhall described in that I explored a lot of Durance's dialogue tree already.

Again, thanks for the help and good recovery :).

Thanks everyone.

I did find a way in which you might not be able to discuss the vision. There are multiple pathways to get to a lot of Durance's topics. There's one where if you ask him about the etchings on his staff, he'll start talking about things that make the game think you've already discussed the vision, even when you haven't.

If that is your problem, I have a fix you are welcome to try out. I am too late to get it into the latest patch, I believe, but if you want to test it out on your own (and at your own risk :) ), I have a dropbox link with a couple updated files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/78pcyzkpykskhcz/AACuB_hCwiPyj8DQlf01r9E4a?dl=0

These would go in the Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\companions subdirectory of your game directory. (For steam, it's Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\companions), and should overwrite two existing files there. For your own safety, I recommend making copies of the originals before you overwrite them with these.

The fix prevents you from being able to ask too early about the staff etchings, and also employs a better criterion for whether you've discussed the vision with Durance yet. I believe it will work retroactively.

Let me know how it goes!

EDIT: I screwed up and uploaded the wrong versions of the files at first. If you'd already gotten them before seeing this edit, you'll want to grab them again. 

Eric

• Like 5