Loot: is it random or pre-determined?

A very simple question for people "in the know": is the loot dropped by enemies in the game completely pre-determined (i.e. pre-set inventories for adversaries), or does it contain an element of randomness? It would be great to know this. Personally, I would love it if there was even a tiny random element in there.

It's been my experience that it is pre-determined. If you quick save, kill a group of enemies, loot them and then compare the results of doing the same thing over again it is always the same.

It seems that loot is sort of determined when you load a zone. The same way that difficulty only goes into affect when you load a zone, because it changes the number of enemies, their stats, and so forth.

Ok, thanks for that. If it really works as you said, it's a bit of a letdown, unless there are significant differences in the way the loot can be determined while loading a zone.

For me, one of the most disappointing aspects in games like this is the way so much stuff is pre-determined. An element of chance is always nice. I know the hazards it can pose, but I don't think it's too difficult to avoid the pitfalls.

I'm  happy enough, personally, with the (somewhat) random loot from chests/containers.

Are you sure *all* enemy loot is hand-placed/not random - for every newly created game?  eg, does it become placed static when a 'new game' is created or just static no matter what chr./save you're playing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts