Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Adra Dragon [Spoiler Warning]

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Ravila

Ravila

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Steam:Mr.Speedo

I made a video how to slay a dragon like a boss. Note that she wipes out my party because I was lazy and did not stand far away. Like Fun3z said you can use the seals to slay her. Also you can go to the dragon slayer to get the scale breaker skill, this is what I did and eventually I killed her without any abuse of the game mechanism https://youtu.be/WmS_t2SSL00

:p I would say you are abusing game mechanics right there :p

Yea but I just picked an old save just for this video and killed him with seals ;)  On my "real" story I killed him with Paladin ( my self) Durance, Aloth, Edér, G.Mother and Sagani after I got the scale breaker skill as I said in my post, had some summons, food, scrolls and potions to help as well.

stratigo

stratigo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts

I did the dragon normally with rogue  wizard and cipher raw dmg abilities.

My cipher's raw damage doesn't hit. It's Fort is really goddam high. As is its will. And I think reflex. If I miss the first CC, I just have to restart there. If I hit the first CC, I can clean up the adds (or have the dragon clean up the adds), but then I'm stuck not being able to hit reliably until it breathes on each of my characters one at a time until they are all dead.

• laputanmachine likes this

PLehnard

PLehnard

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Killed the dragon with a Ranger who had fast running shoes and a mage. Made a firewall with the mage and the ranger was kiting the dragon up and down the wall while the rest of the group killed the minions first and then stood in a save corner for the rest of the "fight".

As far as I could see the dragon only does his massive attack if he stands still, so keeping it in motion is the only option to not get killed instandly.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

pew

thumbnail_43305.png

82765889.jpg

I think it was petrification from Earth's Talon that multiplied damage, but I ain't sure.

• sims796 likes this

MisterV

MisterV

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

Is it actually necessary? I mean does it show up in the end credits? (as consequences etc)

It's just annoying because it's the only thing left for me to do before going to the very final part of the game, but if it doesn't have any consequences then I might as well skip it...

PLehnard

PLehnard

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is it actually necessary? I mean does it show up in the end credits? (as consequences etc)

It's just annoying because it's the only thing left for me to do before going to the very final part of the game, but if it doesn't have any consequences then I might as well skip it...

It does change a small part of the tale in the credits.

dwill10

dwill10

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Steam:drewwill33
  • Xbox Gamertag:dxwill10

So uh..

Yeah got a level capped party about to do the final quest and I'm like oh yeah I totally forgot to the the levels under my stronghold thing! I should do that first!

Just been been playin' on medium, doin' mah thing. enjoyin' the ride, diggin' the story, had 1 party wipe the entire game due to cat on keyboard.

Struttin' mah **** as I walk down those stairs on the last level like, lol pls dragon it's medium difficulty.

The fight starts, I'm like alright well I should probably start by.... Aaaaaand everyone's dead.

They lasted a whole 2 and a half seconds.  lolwut.

Reading through this thread I now realize this fight has no difficulty level.  I mean.. that ****, was not a 'medium' difficulty encounter.  Every other encounter in the game, has a difficulty level.  Then there's this fight.  There were no tactics, no micro, no tank aggro, no heal, no pet spawning, nothing..  I literally walked in,the encoutner starts,  and everyone dies instantly in 1 hit 2 seconds later. I'm like... o.O  Did I accidentally turn it to highest difficulty? Uh, because if you take literally every other encounter in the game, on the same difficulty, then compare it to this one.. I just.. I don't..LOL like, I'm not even mad, that was amazing.

• sims796 likes this

1teacherr1

1teacherr1

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Kinda lame but effective, probably fastest way. All maxed lvl12, high diff. 12 spells in total.

http://share.pho.to/9BDNq

omegabet

omegabet

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What a huge disappointment. I'm shoked this kind of install-kill tactic is supposed to make any fun.

PLehnard

PLehnard

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I kind of liked this fight because it wasn't the typical tank&spank fight like all the others. As long as you keep the lizard in motion there is no insta kill.

• omegabet likes this

omegabet

omegabet

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did it, still very disappointed.

As long as you keep the lizard in motion there is no insta kill.

I followed that.

This helped me additionally:

Pallegina got boots of speed and Savory Pie

My priest cast Prayers against Treachery and Suppress Affliction

Gaze or Adragan or other spells to hold down adds or dragon

Sneak attacks from rogue and many many potions

Thanks very much for your suggestion!

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I had a hell of a time killing it tonight.  I had my cipher, hiravias, grieving mother, eder, pallegina, and durance.  Here's what tactics worked without cheese:

Displacement potion on Eder, meals on everyone (meal bonuses are separate)

LOTS of full heal potions on everyone else I made 40 or so for this fight and used half of them.  (10 on eder and palegina each).

Lots of potions of power / war paint (get the secret room in the blood sands),

Drake summon on Durance (since he sits around a lot this fight).

Move everyone back in the grotto, pull eder up to pull dragon.  Let Eder take the full blast.

As dragon attacks, keep hiravias and durance in reserve.  Try mind controlling the dragon with both your ciphers, one should get through.  Use your ciphers physical attacks on the adragan, this'll probably be the last focus you get in the fight.

Let the dragon kill the adragan and any kobolds that got pulled.

Now start using hiravias.  Wall of thorns right away, then use his top level flower patch ability, then insect swarm.  At the same time, your ciphers should be disintegrating and stealing attributes one at a time.  My ciphers never got focus back because they were both using blunderbusses, and a superb leadsplitter still can't pentrate that hide (maybe bring arquebus in the other slot).

Durance should only be resurrecting, even healing is mostly a waste of his time with the mass of potions.  Save pallegina's resurrect for durance.

The tick of thorns, disintegrate and insects should kill the dragon.  You can do some cheap raw damage stuff with your ciphers.  You don't actually need that much damage to kill the dragon, you just need raw damage to get through it's awful armor.

Beaten in three minutes after an hour of testing.  No achievement, but some awesome loot is down there.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

At level 11 on hard I kited it around in circles for an hour with my monk after killing the adds.  There were actually 5 standing party members after finishing the adds but all but my monk got caught in a breath attack.  I just plinked at it with a crappy hunting bow for the entire time, for like 3 damage a hit, plus a proc my bow had.  Between his 140 something defense, fear aura, and the fact my bow had no accuracy buff, I had around a 12% chance to hit, so it was time consuming and a bit nerve wracking.

If you wanted to bow kite with a build for it, I think Paladin would work the best, the fear aura would be less of an issue and your accuracy would be good with sworn enemy, 140 defense is still pretty high though.

Lasci

Lasci

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you don't want to cheese her:

Get the Dragon Slayer buff after promising to help her. This also lets you set up before the fight starts; you can begin in your terms (and skip having to do dialogue all the time!) by starting the fight.

Abuse every potion and meal you can before the fight starts.

At least set down one high-powered trap. Use scrolls. Revive, maelstrom, paralyze, and even fan flames to clear out the adds are all good.

Obsidian Figurine and similar summon items placed on each character can help with the adds and distract the dragon.

It's truly not that hard without wards/petrify.

ICN

ICN

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I did it at level 11 on hard with a PC Cipher, Eder, Aloth, Durance, Grieving Mother, and Pallagina. I did use some cheese though, as I pre-applied Psychovampiric Shield and the dragon slayer debuff before the fight began. Everyone but Eder and PC removed armor, both Ciphers targeted Pallagina with Tactical Meld for extra accuracy. First spell everyone cast was a debuff, followed by a Gaze of the Adragan by Aloth. That landed, and the dragon exploded due to the x4 damage buff it gives to any attack. The adds aren't a huge problem on their own.

meursault42

meursault42

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ok: here's how I did it. 

1. agree to transport the dragon's essence.

2. You'll want to load up the area around the dragon with as many traps as you can (6)

3. You'll then walk around the dragon and kill the two adds in the room. Doing so will lock you in combat but will not cause the dragon to attack you. (this is a good thing as you see)

4. Walk everyone back into a little corner and have someone summon a monster to start the encounter. You'll want to angle these summons to set off the maximum number of traps before your party gets involved.

5. I created a handful of revival and flame wall scrolls.

6. Once the traps are set off, attack the dragon with one more summon to turn it away from your party.

7. Use every flame wall and aoe spell attack you have (my screen was crisscrossed with about 10 of them).

8. Wait. The dragon will turn around and decimate you, someone (usually kana) will survive. Use the revival scroll and go at the dragon some more.

9. Keep going and you can and WILL eventually take down the dragon.

Your reward will dragon meat and some scales. Not sure if it was worth the hour of figuring out a way to beat the dragon, but who cares! 

Space

Space

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

My tactic for defeating the adra dragon is to betray the adra dragon by warning the dragon slayer and receiving scale breaker first. Then approaching the minions of the adra dragon while the adra dragon is off screen and quickly defeating all the minions before the adra dragon comes on screen.

Once the adra dragon is onscreen I use scale breaker (the duration is too short) and get Aloth to cast gaze of the adragan on the adra dragon while scale breaker is in effect. With luck the adra dragon is petrified and you can crit the adra dragon while it is petrified. With some more luck the adra dragon will die from its injuries before petrification wears off because your characters tend to do many crits while the adra dragon is petrified. If not cast gaze of the adragan again hoping you don't miss after scale breaker has worn off.

Fighting the adra dragon where it first appears is bad because the adra dragon immediately uses it's breath attack at the beginning of the encounter. If you manoeuvre to a more advantageous position such as where the high priests are guarding the entrance to the adra dragon's hoard you can get lucky and the adra dragon doesn't use it's breath attack until later in the encounter.

In any case you must be max lvl to defeat the adra dragon and having all your melee characters wielding superb weapons is also recommended. I leave the adra dragon for the last encounter before Thaos. The sky dragon isn't as difficult and can be defeated earlier and the valuable dragon meat can be prepared as the dragon meat meal to prepare your characters for the adra dragon encounter. The 45 extra endurance from the dragon meat meal helps save your party from dragon breath giving your party the opportunity to use heal potions immediately after the breath hits.

• gogocactus likes this

Markus92

Markus92

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

Okay after a lot of trial and error with petrify and charm spells to focus down the adds, I instead managed to get a petrify spell on the dragon and went balls to the walls dps on him, he died within seconds and the adds were easy enough to handle afterwards.

So just petrify dragon and hope for crits. This was on hard, lvl 12.

Edit; I made sure to initiate combat by having Eder and Pallegina run to the upper section and take aggro while the rest of the party was standing to the south, Aloth immediately casting Gaze of Adragan upon combat start.

Edited by Markus92, 23 April 2015 - 10:40 AM.

Alaric Eisenarm

Alaric Eisenarm

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts

Thank you very much, Gaze of the Adragan is the solution for the Adra Dragon. Aloth has access to this spell, I killed the dragon with a level 11 party, the only cheese I used is reload two times ;)

I did not have scale breaker skill.

How to do it:

Eder in front, he initiates the conversation with the dragon. Rest of the party in the back.

Move Eder back (as fast as possible).

Summon something to pull the dragon to the north, does not matter very much what you summon (or pull it with Eder if you have no summons).

You can now pull the whole party (in the worst case Eder cannot be pulled) on the south side behind the dragon.

Aloth now needs to hit the dragon with Gaze of the Adragan. If he misses, well to be honest reload.

Ignore the other ememies as far as possible after Aloth hits.

If Aloth hits with Gaze of the Adragan, all party members need to attack the dragon with everything they have. If possible ignore the other enemies, or use spells that hit both the dragon and the rest.

The dragon should go down quite fast now.

Kill the rest.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1217 posts

A ranger with high int/accuracy can root the dragon in place long enough while everyone stands out of his breath range and attacks him with their ranged weapons. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users