Has anyone beaten this beast? If yes then at what level and what tactics did you use?

I'm currently at lvl 9 and I got a feeling beating its 100+ defenses, 100+ accuracy and 20+ DR is impossible for me despite my party literally crushing everything in endless paths...

Will and Reflex are it's worst defenses so I guess hitting it hard with spells could be a good idea if only my team could get better accuracy...

Fully decked out level 12 party.

Tried to kill it without cheesing many times, got her to very low hp bunch of times but in the end I just gave up and used Sealing & Warding Seals on my priest's to make a trap for her, which exploded her to below 50% hp and after that it was easy.

I wouldn't recommend using this tactic as it takes the fun out of most fights. Just go do some quests and come back later when your party is higher level.

Reached it with a lvl 9 party too. No idea how to beat that thing at that level. I assume we're meant to come back way into the final act or something?

It is a bit jarring. I blasted through everything leading up to the dragon without much difficulty, but the dragon itself is just, I don't even know, I can't even get past the first 10 seconds of the fight reliably. It literally oneshots my tank, who normally doesn't even take damage from anything, and I can't even pre-buff him with potions and stuff because it just instantly wing buffets him or something right at the start of the fight for 200+ crushing damage. Even when he does survive the first attack, there's the stupid breath that does UNLISTED damage which just kills everything in front of the dragon outright as far as I can tell.

After half an hour of trying various tactics, I just gave up and went back to the main questline.

Would be really interesting to hear how anyone who defeated her managed to do so.

iroll20s, god

Max level is 12, given its stats and how the fight carries out, and it's insane health, you probably need a max level party with some fairly dank gear.

To give you an idea of how tough it is - In my 'mess around' save I had three archers with 100 might and dexterity, and the fight still took upwards of 3 minutes.

Came here to post about this. (I played on normal) I wrecked my way through the entire game. Up until the Adra dragon there hadn't been a single battle I had to reload more than twice. The warden bounties were chump meat. I beat the end boss of the game first try. But that god damn dragon, jesus christ. If your fighter doesn't have second wind it's pretty much game over in five seconds. If your fighter isn't positioned away from the party, same thing. In my best attempt during over three hours combined of trying I got her to one bubble.

I'm all out of strats.

Edited by Logos

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

Crossposted from my post in the other thread about this:

I'll lay out my strategy. It doesn't work, yet, but I got her to one bubble once in three hours of combined attempts. I'm sick of it now but maybe one of you can refine it further. This is on normal.

My party consists of a PC cipher, Eder, Grieving Mother, Durance, Aloth, and Kana. The ciphers have blunderbuses, Aloth has a bow, Kana and Durance have arquebuses. Eder has sword and shield and 10 of the level 4 endurance potions, and the skill that allows him to instantly revive when knocked out (I think it's called second wind). They're all level 12, and they all have the best gear the game has to offer. I've done everything else (all other quests (except for a bugged out one), warden bounties, etc.), as far as I can tell.

To start the battle, I move Eder up the left side and my party along the bottom. Trigger the battle by moving Eder further up. Draw aggro with Eder by attacking, heal the acid breath with a potion. Move party over to the right along the bottom, kill the xaurip priests. Move party up along the right, kill the first Agaran, then kill the second. All the while Eder tries to maintain aggro on the dragon and heals himself with potions. Sometimes he'll get charmed, you have to be extra careful then, but it usually doesn't last long.

After all the ads are dead, use the built-up cipher juice to cast disintegrate on the dragon. Disintegrate is raw damage, so it cuts through DR. You can also use your ciphers to try to stun it, but that fails about 50% of the time. The rest of the party unloads on the dragon. Freezing spells seem to work well with Aloth. Use Durance to raise downed allies who got hit with the breath when Eder lost aggro when you were walking around.

Then die, die, and die again. I hate how completely unreliable maintaining aggro is. I think one way to improve this plan is to hire a second fighter with second wind and use two tanks on the adra dragon, but even then maintaining aggro would be massively unreliable. I'd replace Kana, or maybe Grieving Mother, but in the latter case there would probably be too little dps.

• Like 1

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

It worked.

fgvHG37.jpg

I placed a poisonous gas trap in the 'bottle-neck', and the rest went as planned.

Edited by Logos

Did you do this on easy? I have done all quests and tasks and got the best equipment you can have with enchants just for this encounter. I am maxed out, I got the scale breaker skill from the dragon slayer, I use scrolls and all debuffs I can think of but still my fighter goes down not because of lack of endurance but the health it self goes down..

Trying to do adra dragon on POTD difficulty and out of all the BS encounters in POTD this one takes the cake by far (though I haven't finished act 3). Full lvl12 party composed of paladin, fighter, wizard, priest, cipher, and chanter. Tried various strategies:

- Pull dragon back behind the corner, just got overwhelmed by xaurip and adragan

- Pretend to be in favor with the dragon so she doesn't aggro, slide back into the xaurip camp and AoE them all down, pulling back into the treasure room. If the adragan don't aggro, the lack of space means that my range get one-shot by the breath anyways. If the adragan do show up, my entire party is MC'd and that's that (even when using the priest mind resist spell).

- Same as above but split party into two groups, one focusing on the xaurip and the other on the adragan. Incredibly messy but surprisingly the dragon doesn't aggro when engaging both of these unless you get to close. Incredibly messy again barely any space do work with anything not to mention was out of resources since everyone was split taking their mobs down (specially on the adragan camp).

Really at a loss on what else to do.

The mind resist spell is a joke. Last few seconds and doesn't really help. Only guy who doesn't get confused/charmed is the paladin (thank god for that even). And all my chars have mind fortress and some even bull's will. Just have try cc all the mobs or hope that my cipher doesn't get hit and cc the afflicted party members.

Troupial, only beat the fight on hard, but you might need a druid with you for the insect aoe spell that does raw dmg (can't remember the name now) to power down the adds. You're playing in POTD so you already know these things (might still help other people reading the thread):

- Cipher CC as much as you can, and slicken of course.

- Use all the summon items

- Bottleneck

- Revive Scroll is OP

- Save priest's spells for revive

- If you want to cheese try to reset aggro between fights, don't know if it's doable with the dragon but mobs have a chase range in this one where they reset.

- You might need only 1 tank

- AI doesn't like to cross Wall of Fire and similar if they're not in one already.

- Try to save as much raw damage spells for the dragon.

- Cipher debuffs are nice due to the low duration of all spells.

It knocked out most of my party almost instantly, but I managed to kill it with a druid and a rogue. Started with a wall of thones and continued to use every DoT AoE I could find, when the dragon got to close I moved in with the rogue and tried to move it away from the druid. 1-4 tick damage from about 6 different sources killed it in 2 or 3 minutes.

No idea how to win this fight without cheesing it though.

I was easily able to clear out all the adds, but the dragon itself is just impossible to take down as all my attacks miss. I play on Hard.

You can "cheese" the start if you move your party to the left BEFORE starting the talking encounter, and then sending a pet to the right to start the encounter. The pet will go back to its owner during the talk, so basically you will have full control of your party once the talk ends, and you will not be in combat yet.

Now all you need to do is send the pet all the way upwards and aggro something, then pull it near your party and nuke it. After the first pull succeeded, you can just keep aggroing with the 3 summoned Skeletons that Kana provides. They are free, and if the pull goes wrong you can make them again for free.

Once the adds are dead, it's just a matter of kiting the dragon around. Move your party to avoid the breath attack (its AoE is HUGE). Keep spamming 3 skeletons and send them at the dragon ONE AT A TIME, so that it will focus on that skeleton alone while you shoot it from afar.

Problem is, I arrived there at lv8 and every single one of my attacks missed. The only time I managed to hit was after I stealthed with my main (rogue) and did a sneak attack on the dragon (which dealt the beauty of 5 dmg). I could keep kiting it no stop, then I just gave up. Guess like this encounter is just a big stat-check.

Oh, if you employ my tactic, keep your eyes on your party. Sometimes, your companions tends to get "pulled" towards the dragon, so be quick at issuing the commands to go back. You do NOT want to aggro the dragon before you clear the room of the adds.

Anyway, I've just completed the quest that "debuffs" the dragon. Too bad that now the dragon now got glitched and I am unable to target anything in the room :/

Edited by hihey54

I beat it with a "level 10" party but unfortunately it's because my game is super bugged.

I suspect my tank is about twice as tanky as he's supposed to be because of that stat stacking save game bug - god I hope they fix that, I'm way too far in to want to start again and it's going to make the rest of the game trivial if he remains like that.

And I also have 3 Wurms that my chanter summoned about 20 hours ago that I have no control over and just randomly appear somewhere on every map I travel to. They're still friendly to me, still draw aggro and are also basically immortal as they just get back up again every time someone knocks them out. On this particular map they spawned in on top of the Adragans so I never had to deal with them the whole fight.

So on the whole, I don't think it really counts...

man, **** this fight. I can't even get close. I can manage to clear the adds, but the boss just kills one party member at a time with his breath and there's **** all I can do about it. Non of my characters can hit it, and my cihpers run out of focus, loose the ability to stun, and then die

The adds by themselves are ****ing tough fight. There isn't a strategy to use beyond cheesing the fight, and I didn't build in enough cheese.

Edited by stratigo

I made a video how to slay a dragon like a boss. Note that she wipes out my party because I was lazy and did not stand far away. Like Fun3z said you can use the seals to slay her. Also you can go to the dragon slayer to get the scale breaker skill, this is what I did and eventually I killed her without any abuse of the game mechanism https://youtu.be/WmS_t2SSL00

Edited by Ravila

I made a video how to slay a dragon like a boss. Note that she wipes out my party because I was lazy and did not stand far away. Like Fun3z said you can use the seals to slay her. Also you can go to the dragon slayer to get the scale breaker skill, this is what I did and eventually I killed her without any abuse of the game mechanism https://youtu.be/WmS_t2SSL00

:p I would say you are abusing game mechanics right there :p

I did the dragon normally with rogue  wizard and cipher raw dmg abilities.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

:p I would say you are abusing game mechanics right there :p

Yea but I just picked an old save just for this video and killed him with seals ;)  On my "real" story I killed him with Paladin ( my self) Durance, Aloth, Edér, G.Mother and Sagani after I got the scale breaker skill as I said in my post, had some summons, food, scrolls and potions to help as well.

I did the dragon normally with rogue  wizard and cipher raw dmg abilities.

My cipher's raw damage doesn't hit. It's Fort is really goddam high. As is its will. And I think reflex. If I miss the first CC, I just have to restart there. If I hit the first CC, I can clean up the adds (or have the dragon clean up the adds), but then I'm stuck not being able to hit reliably until it breathes on each of my characters one at a time until they are all dead.

• Like 1

Killed the dragon with a Ranger who had fast running shoes and a mage. Made a firewall with the mage and the ranger was kiting the dragon up and down the wall while the rest of the group killed the minions first and then stood in a save corner for the rest of the "fight".

As far as I could see the dragon only does his massive attack if he stands still, so keeping it in motion is the only option to not get killed instandly.

Is it actually necessary? I mean does it show up in the end credits? (as consequences etc)

It's just annoying because it's the only thing left for me to do before going to the very final part of the game, but if it doesn't have any consequences then I might as well skip it...