Crafting system, a shame to any RPG lover ?

Hey everyone,

Am I the only one seeing the crafting system a pure shame and an insult to RPG world ? And especially to BG series when you had to go see a Legendary dwarf Blacksmith and wait  1 Day to get awesome craft.

Now you just Fedex any craft you want, I find that really insulting to any lover of RP, not even crating station or something, just your magic bag, like you have an auction house in your pocket.

Seriously, are we going into idiocraty or what ? How could some of the Black Isle team drop a thing like that ? I still questionning myself on it, I am really disapointed.

Regards,

Edited by geobio
  • Like 2

The crafting and enchanting system in PoE is significantly more detailed than in BG.

I think its pretty good, considering that crafting and enchanting was the result of a 100k stretch goal? I certainly wouldn't consider it insulting..

Edited by Hogfather
  • Like 2

Crafting in PoE is one of the modern RPG tropes they put in that was better left out (like pretty much all the other modern RPG tropes they put in). You are definitely not alone.

I think I'd actually prefer romances to any crafting beyond what BG1&2 had, and I'm anything but a fan of RPG 'romances'.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

Easy there OP! Wow, everyone gets so insulting when they find a feature they don't like!

I see what you mean though. Despite having no blacksmithing ability or anything, your party can craft amazing weapons on the fly. 

And I wish you could re-name weapons after you modify them. That would be cool!

You can roleplay using the Craft or Enchant buttons by only hitting them when visiting a relevant NPC or facility. You can even visit them, roleplay your request, then return after a suitably roleplayed length of time and hit the button for your reward.

How can it be an insult to any lover of RP when it encourages you to RP harder? :)

--/\/

Well... since in BG2 the one-day wait is actually a free rest and only moves the game clock forward, I don't quite agree. 

Also I've found at least one thing you need a legendary dwarf blacksmith to craft.

I agree.

I think the crafting system is fine, and if PrimeJunta says for SOME crafting you need a legendarty blacksmith then way to go, I think its perfect  :)

what_can_cb510.png

with expert mode on, crafting can only be done in towns and then it is about food, potions and scrolls. i havent seen so far an option to make a legendary sword while exploring a dungeon

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

You can roleplay using the Craft or Enchant buttons by only hitting them when visiting a relevant NPC or facility. You can even visit them, roleplay your request, then return after a suitably roleplayed length of time and hit the button for your reward.

How can it be an insult to any lover of RP when it encourages you to RP harder? :)

It's like saying the players become the DM, does not make any sense, but I see your point. No more immersion, just fedex for everyone.

I am really sad this is happening, for me crafting is part of the story, like in BG series were you hunted parts and then collect informations about them.

The crafting and enchanting system in PoE is significantly more detailed than in BG.

I think its pretty good, considering that crafting and enchanting was the result of a 100k stretch goal? I certainly wouldn't consider it insulting..

Arguments ? Because you obviously never visited Cespenar.

Being detailled, doesn't add nothing at all when there is no more immersion to it.

I'm sure there were far less money invested in BG crafting system at the time, still it was thousand time better and immersive.

Edited by geobio

The BG series didn't have crafting. It had scavenger hunting and commission-work.

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I prefer PoE's system, since it's actually a crafting mechanic. And you can choose which weapons and armors you wish to place enchantments on.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Crafting in PoE is one of the modern RPG tropes they put in that was better left out

Decades of D&D would like a word with you - So would about a truckload of RPGs. Hell even Neverwinter Nights had a solid crafting system (so did NWN2) and it is by no means "modern"

• Like 1

The BG series didn't have crafting. It had scavenger hunting and commission-work.

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I prefer PoE's system, since it's actually a crafting mechanic. And you can choose which weapons and armors you wish to place enchantments on.

Exactly, the BGs didn't have crafting as a system. What they had were essentially regular kill/fetch quests with a special reward.

I think the system is decent.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

It's also optional. Those buttons need ne'er be clicked. :)

Does the option to restrict Stash access to certain areas also govern access to the Craft/Enchant systems? Might be useful for those who want selective immersion without going whole-hog Expert Mode. I'm on the fence myself. I want to see my AoE circles. :)

--/\/

yeap. BG didnt have crafting, while in PoE you can make any item matching your needs. Looks pretty close to DA:I, maybe not as good but still very solid.

yeap. BG didnt have crafting, while in PoE you can make any item matching your needs. Looks pretty close to DA:I, maybe not as good but still very solid.

People still repeating that to convince themself as if a "crafting system" have to be personnal to be considered as such.

This closed view of how has to be crafting show the lack of knowledge about such feature, only that.

BG series had a crafting system, it was not character binded, that is the difference.

People still repeating that to convince themself as if a "crafting system" have to be personnal to be considered as such.

This closed view of how has to be crafting show the lack of knowledge about such feature, only that.

BG series had a crafting system, it was not character binded, that is the difference.

Calling what BG series had a "crafting system" is a shame to RPG's. D&D 2nd Ed *laughs* at your "crafting system".

Edited by Katarack21

While the crafting system is certainly detailed, I feel that they could done more with it, like having some non-combat skills being required for crafting some stuff. I thought there would be more non-combat skills. And being able to craft anywhere when not in expert mode is daft. Almost as daft as the magical bottomless pit that is your stash

• Like 1

Crafting in PoE is one of the modern RPG tropes they put in that was better left out

Decades of D&D would like a word with you - So would about a truckload of RPGs. Hell even Neverwinter Nights had a solid crafting system (so did NWN2) and it is by no means "modern"

NWN2 is a modern era RPG (NWN early modern), and has many things I'd say are wrong with it, one of which is it's crafting system.

AD&D had a very limited 'crafting system'. Of course one's DM could tweak it to increase it's prevalence if they liked, but in general, characters were not crafting things on any kind of remotely regular basis. In fact, D&D, as well as Palladium, made a point that player characters generally shouldn't be able to craft all that much themselves. Obviously, again, DM discretion.

The era of the MMO is what ushered in crafting in RPGs. Was there some crafting in computer games before? A little here and there, but not much. Nowadays it's a standard 'feature' to have a 'robust' crafting system, and game design wise I think it generally sucks. Adding little to nothing positive to the actual gameplay in a single player RPG. In an MMO there's better arguments for it given a player economy, however most MMOs have turned their crafting into little more than time sinks these days. Either way, it's really just a whole bunch of unfun.

Edited by Valsuelm

It's also optional. Those buttons need ne'er be clicked. :)

Does the option to restrict Stash access to certain areas also govern access to the Craft/Enchant systems? Might be useful for those who want selective immersion without going whole-hog Expert Mode. I'm on the fence myself. I want to see my AoE circles. :)

Not everyone is going like going out of their way to roleplay something like that, and would prefer the system handled those limitations, especially when the game is actually rewarding and thus encouraging you not to role-play. A simple menu toggle which only allowed smithing/crafting to be done when resting, would be nice. Just like there is an option with the stash.

Edited by Prime-Mover

Easy there OP! Wow, everyone gets so insulting when they find a feature they don't like!

I see what you mean though. Despite having no blacksmithing ability or anything, your party can craft amazing weapons on the fly. 

And I wish you could re-name weapons after you modify them. That would be cool!

I don't quite understand. So can you make weapons and armor? It seems like you can only enchant existing items you find but can't actually make new ones yourself, can anyone confirm this? 

I think the crafting system is great.

It's simple enough not to be overwhelming or require huge amounts of time to be worthwhile, yet offers enough customization and bonuses to keep it interesting.

And from what I've seen so far it seems well balanced.

I don't like the crafting system either - it diminishes the value of powerful items and makes them less exciting to find/own.

This doesn't apply to PoE since the crafting enchantments can be added to any item you find.