Player character slowed movement speed

a bear named spigot

Question

Speeds are fine now. Thanks!

The only issue I've noticed is my previously slowed character is still permanently stuck in the walking animation when moving in a group.  If I move him individually he regains his run animation.

Makes me wonder if there's a scripted cutscene or spell that's permanently changing characters to a walk state.

The only issue I've noticed is my previously slowed character is still permanently stuck in the walking animation when moving in a group.  If I move him individually he regains his run animation.

Makes me wonder if there's a scripted cutscene or spell that's permanently changing characters to a walk state.

I'm not 100% certain as to the logic the game uses to choose between the walking and the running animation. It does have something to do with their relative speed values, but what actually causes the switch is unclear. Your save is the second time I encountered this "movement speed normal, but still getting the wrong animation" phenomena - I did manage to fix it the last time, just not sure how... When I get back home, I'll try looking deeper into it.

Hey guys,

We looking into this. Do you guys remember when you first notice the character slowing down? Was it after a fight, save/load, or a map transition? Any detail you remember would greatly help us.

I can't remember for Durance but for Pallegina it was clearly after a fight in Od Nua, level 10 against crystal spider and Vithrack (though I can't say for sure if it was from charm or from the spider AoE). She can't move in stealth anymore, equiping boots of speed barely make her movement playable until next fight then I have to unequip/equip again. The rest of the party is slowed but not as badly, only my monk seems ok and cross maps a good 20s faster than the rest.

Seems like it fixed itself after an hour of play.  But now my +movement speed items stop working after every fight. Sigh.

Would you post a current save game? It would be useful in pinpointing the walk/run problem. Also, could you elaborate on the +speed items issue?

Hi Stillquest. I have encountered this same problem after doing the bounty quests. Aloth is slowed and Hiravias runs a lot faster than the other characters.

I would really appreciate the help. It's a great thing you're doing.

No problem. Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlk07g3gs7qhrb0/6dd52d7436fc473eb399a87d77def043%2012831906%20GreatHall.savegame?dl=0

• Like 1

Stillquest,

I have the same problem you did, fast aloth, slow fox. I believe it happend during one of the first sets of bounties fights. If you've got a running fix, would you mind posting it and I can save you the trouble of fixing some one elses save? Thanks for doing all this.

Pure curiosity - I was a programmer turned medical student - what are you using for your edits and to read the save files?

Thanks again.

Stillquest,

I have the same problem you did, fast aloth, slow fox. I believe it happend during one of the first sets of bounties fights. If you've got a running fix, would you mind posting it and I can save you the trouble of fixing some one elses save? Thanks for doing all this.

Pure curiosity - I was a programmer turned medical student - what are you using for your edits and to read the save files?

Thanks again.

I initially located the speed variables ingame using Cheat Engine - a memory scanner/editor program. I described what I was doing there in a couple of posts near the beginning of this thread. As a programmer, you'll probably have no problems using this method to repair your game if you're (understandably) uncomfortable with subjecting it to an unknown fan fix. CE was certianly enough to let me fix my game, and provide some basic understanding as to what variable type and values I'm dealing with. However, doing it this way is both fiddly and time consuming. I decided to look at the save files instead.

Fortunately, the saves are simple zip archives. They contain a couple of data files for each map you've explored, and another called "MobileObjects.save" that's used for all non-area-specific data - including characters' movement values. As I already knew what numbers I was looking for, it didn't take long to locate the speed variables. Problem is, the savefile is very haphazardly organized, with structures representing character data mixed up with dozens of others, representing who knows what. If I weren't lazy I suppose I could have tried disassembling, or install Unity and get to grips with the code on a higher level... But I am. Some manual hex reading let me find unique identifiers for each party member, and from there it's just a matter of using known offsets to reach the speed variables.

Then I've whipped up a small, ugly Visual Basic program to do this for me. It reads the MobileObjects file as a binary stream, puts it into a string variable, and then looks for the previously mentioned unique indentifiers by string compares, keeping the offset value of each identifier found. Then I read the variables into textboxes, which I can change either manually or automatically, using default values. I then use offset values to write the new values directly into their place in the save file, put it back into the zip, and voila.

I need to put some finishing touches to the code, mostly gui stuff and error handling, but I'll probably release it tomorrow. Meanwhile, feel free to send your save file, it's very little bother, and helps me QA my program.

• Like 2

Hi Stillquest. I have encountered this same problem after doing the bounty quests. Aloth is slowed and Hiravias runs a lot faster than the other characters.

I would really appreciate the help. It's a great thing you're doing.

No problem. Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlk07g3gs7qhrb0/6dd52d7436fc473eb399a87d77def043%2012831906%20GreatHall.savegame?dl=0

Thank you! You're awesome.

Hey guys,

We looking into this. Do you guys remember when you first notice the character slowing down? Was it after a fight, save/load, or a map transition? Any detail you remember would greatly help us.

For me it started at the map transition from Od Nua lvl 11 or 12 to the first lvl, where the party is then ambushed by a bunch of acolytes.

Exacly the same thing here. It's 15th of Sep, patch 2.01 is now live and still it hasn't been fixed. It keeps occuring from time to time in the game.

short clip showing the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4983sjrfua1fgxs/SlowMovementPATCH2.01.mp4?dl=0

game saves: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu4r8wjhfwddlb6/Saved%20Games.zip?dl=0

Edited by Karnashuk