Combat should last longer

I find difficult to play strategically because the combat is over in 30s. I dont actually need that the game become harder - Im playing on Hard and its ok - I just wish that enemies and my party had more "hit points".

Maybe a menu option to double endurance/heatlh could be added and we opt for it in the beggining of the game. 

I'm playing Chanter right now and I can usually used my "big spells" at least twice in a short fight. So it doesn't bother me at all.

Note that, if you play with the Chanter companion, he only have 5 dexterity which is really really low. I only have 10 with my PC but it makes a whole world of difference believe me.

I disagree. Fights that drag on due to hitpoint bloat are really dull.

Also they don't drag on much in the IE games either. I find P:E's fights are about as short/long. Thirty seconds is five IE game rounds, and most fights will be over in about that. (Five rounds is what took me to kill Firkraag last time I tried.)

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Hmmm... I sort of agree. But only because of classes like the chanter. They have awesome spells... but the battle is often over before they finish their chants!

That being said, boss fights last longer. Especially with all the pausing.

Yeah, this is my problem too...chanters dont have time to execute their spells. Also, fights are so short that most of the time I repeat the same sequence of skills at the begining of the combat and do nothing else because everything is dead. 

For those who disagree, fine. Im just asking for an option. We already have many options to configure the game for our own liking, maybe add another one called "epic combat", 50% more endurance/health for all.

Edited by Parsalian

Hmmm... I sort of agree. But only because of classes like the chanter. They have awesome spells... but the battle is often over before they finish their chants!

That being said, boss fights last longer. Especially with all the pausing.

Yeah, this is my problem too...chanters dont have time to execute their spells. Also, fights are so short that most of the time I repeat the same sequence of skills at the begging of the combat and do nothing else because everything is dead. 

For those who disagree, fine. Im just asking for an option. We already have many options to configure the game for our own liking, maybe add another one called "epic combat", 50% more endurance/health for all.

If I'm not mistaken, in PoD difficulty each monster get a bonus endurance (and some other stuff). Of course it's way more difficult ;)

How many hours in are you?  I'm finding combat taking longer as I go along.

About 12h, just finished the Lord of Baren quest. The boss fight was sweet, I just wanted to face more battles like that. I hope you are right. 

Edited by Parsalian

Turn on slowmode.

Slowmode just make animations take longer, so I will still suffer with the same small number of "turns" to finish the combat.  

What I want is have to cast 3 or 4 skills from every member of the party before killing everything, at least on medium fights. Right now, as I said before, you start the combat, choose one initial skill and probably thats it, you or the creatures will be dead before another "round". 

Edited by Parsalian

Fast battles do seem like a design choice, and that is honestly not a bad thing in itself (DA:O sometimes had battles dragged on forever) though it makes the lesser crowd control abilities seem a bit.. well.. useless. What's the point in disorienting and blinding your enemies, if you could instead blast them to holy hell in 30s instead of a minute?

Edited by Yenkaz

Turn on slowmode.

Slowmode just make animations take longer, so I will still suffer with the same small number of "turns" to finish the combat.

What I want is have to cast 3 or 4 skills from every member of the party before killing everything, at least on medium fights. Right now, as I said before, you start the combat, choose one initial skill and probably thats it, you or the creatures will be dead before another "round".

The reason for that is to make sure that you will complete the area with the limited supplies so there is a number of engagements that will require little to no use of specials and per rest skills but there are also fights where you need to blow almost everything you have to overcome them. It is good as it is.

I've had some realllly long fights. .. In the beginning there are plenty of short fights. But at some point you'll start encountering larger groups and it becomes a battle to keep all your characters intact. At this point, if I stumble upon just one bad guy all alone,  I rejoice that it's going to be a short fight.