Option to have use pause as a non-toggle

All too often there's an emergency - low health, character one-shotted, whatever - and I smack my spacebar to pause the game, only for the game to have auto-paused a split-second before I do so, resulting in me *unpausing* the game. This is a little frustrating, not to mention rather deadly, especially when it happens a few times in a row (stuff's going badly in a fight!). A feature of the RTwP system is that you always feel that you have some control over proceedings, at least in terms of being able to take a breath and study the situation. When the above accidental unpausing occurs, I lose that feeling and my enjoyment of the game suffers. I want a button that, no matter what, stops what's happening, no exceptions.

'Pause' is currently only available in the game as a toggle on/off.

I'd like for there to be another option in the control settings, separate from the single pause toggle button -- a dedicated Pause/Stop keybind and corresponding Unpause/Resume keybind.

^ This sort of thing (as well as me just being a control freak) is why I always toggle every auto-pause option to off, except for the initial enemy-spotted-you-and-is-moving-to-engage one, just in case I'm busy taking a drink of water whilst an enemy sees me before I see them. Even in the old games. I prefer controlling the combat-pausing myself.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Why don't you deactivate the auto-pause toggle for cases like low health and such if you unconsiously will pause manually anyway?

Don't really need a new toggle for "pause everything despite what's going on or settings that are on" to solve your issue here.

Why don't you deactivate the auto-pause toggle for cases like low health and such if you unconsiously will pause manually anyway?

Don't really need a new toggle for "pause everything despite what's going on or settings that are on" to solve your issue here.

Because not all the times he unpauses unconciously, so he still wants game to pause if he didnt

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki - Community/Fan Maintained!

Yeah, I want the low health autopause. If a character takes a big crit, I want all the reaction time the game will allow me. Or if my party is slightly splitup or otherwise handling a poorly controlled fight (shades/shadows spring to mind) and I'm concentrating on two fronts, I appreciate the assistance of the low endurance pause.

Typically, it goes like this. My tank is engaged with multiple enemies and takes a big hit. I react by pausing the game. As I'm reacting, the tank takes a second big hit (not the tank's lucky day) and triggers autopause for low endurance. Game stops. My thumb then makes contact with the spacebar and the game's not paused anymore and I have a bloodied fighter and there's a brief moment where I have to process this and repause. That brief moment is unpleasant for me, like, on a fundamental user basis. I want my 'stop' button to *always* stop things.

I don't think I should work around any instances of my spacebar not stopping the game (which is essentially the issue here, boiled down) by choosing to forego certain features of the combat system.

Take a look at how the keybindings handle stealth. There's an option for Stealth on/off as a single toggle. Then there's additional binding options for having dedicated 'stealth on' and 'stealth off' buttons. I'd like that for pause/resume. Just as an extra option.