Black Screen

prittiekittie

Question

The game looks fine until I finish character creation. Then all I see is the GUI, my cursor, and a black background. If I scroll to the side, I also see the mini icons showing to which side of my screen I can find my character. I can also hear sounds, and if I click on the screen, I can hear footsteps of my character moving there. So it seems like the game is running (being able to scroll and all), but I am just not able to see it.

All of the menu windows work. If I pull up the map, I can see the world map, but not the area map (that is still black).

I have removed my dual monitor (so that can't be an issue), and I have checked that my video driver is up to date (Radeon HD 6900). I have tried all of the different screen resolutions available. Nothing seems to work.

Please help! I have been a backer from the start, and I haven't been able to play for a few days now.

5 answers to this question

I can't seem to find other posts about black screens recently. I'm starting to fear that I am the only one with the problem, which means this might not be fixed in the next patch. An acknowledgement from a dev. that this issue is known and that it will be addressed, would be greatly appreciated.

Every day I log into Steam hoping that a patch has been released, and am disappointed. And if this isn't fixed in the next patch, I don't know what I would do!

In desperation I was reading up on other bug posts, and came across this one about the game crashing: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74452-game-crashed-and-keeps-crashing-on-startup/?p=1620941

It said using Steam's "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" function resolved the problem! I gave it a try, and IT WORKED!!!! How to: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335.

The only "Black Screen" posts I could find have to do with dual monitors, or OSX. If you have a black screen problem, and you don't have dual monitor or OSX, and "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" doesn't solve your problem, please post here so the devs know they need to fix it for you! :)

• Like 1

I find out that i can see the game, if i set the colors to 256.

But in this case it looks like a LSD trip and its hardly to play cause it looks ugly.

This is the only way to see something in this game since the start of the Pillars of Eternity.exe :(