Collector's Editon Map (horrible)

This is my favorite cloth map that came with a game:

Ultima%20IX%20Dragon%20Edition%20Content

I remember when this was released. Have a friend that owns it...I never purchased it however. Have a bunch of the packaged big box Black Isle/Interplay RPG's from back in the day though.

Edited by Byeohazard

I bought it entirely by accident. Read the review, wasnt great but I wanted it for the graphics. Went shopping with parents, asked to buy it. OMG CLOTH MAP AND TARROT CARDS? 

I was a kid still when that came out.

Edited by Mungri
  • Like 1

^ What we should do (totally sincere, here) is find out who printed the maps, and review their product en masse.

I dunno... maybe there's some reason they're like that? But, I can't think of one of the top of my head that makes it understandable to ship blurry cloth maps and call it a job-well-done. Like I said, I don't understand why a place who prints things for a living (which I'm assuming is the type of shop they had print the maps) wouldn't ensure the customer (in this case, Obsidian) gets the best quality product they can. If, for example, the image, ink, and cloth choice Obsidian (or Paradox, I suppose... not sure who actually spoke to the printer and had these printed/OK'd them) went with were going to cause an issue, or if the maps came out obviously less-than-ideal quality, they should've said something about it. I know I would.

I wonder if that information is somewhere in the game credits?

RdrEPkp.jpg

Mine is far more washed out and fuzzy looking than that.

1427768965442.jpg

Don't get me wrong, some of that's my camera, but mine still looks like a defective run if that's what they're supposed to look like. Mine is practically white washed.

Edited by Vasid

RdrEPkp.jpg

Mine is far more washed out and fuzzy looking than that.

1427768965442.jpg

Don't get me wrong, some of that's my camera, but mine still looks like a defective run if that's what they're supposed to look like.

WOW! That's quite a difference!!!  Looks like yours was printed as the machine was low on ink and they just kept going!

WOW! That's quite a difference!!!  Looks like yours was printed as the machine was low on ink and they just kept going!

Yep. I could get over it not being in the style I wanted or as detailed and large, but it's not even pleasing to look at.

Seems like quality control was low. Sweet.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

That isn't nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

Unless these pictures are being taken with professional quality cameras (they're not), you're kind of talking out of your ass here. A photograph does not show how something looks to the naked eye.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm extremely disappointed. The only reason I pledged for the collectors edition was the promise of a "beautiful cloth map like those of classic CRPGs". Instead I'm treated to modern screen printed garbage and a collectors edition that looks like cheap tat next to Stick of Truth's CE which I paid less for. It's not even just the printing job, the map it's self is just a lazy copy of the in-game map and looks in no way like a living piece of the world.

I will literally never pledge for another CE sight unseen.

Shame too as this really sort of tarnishes the otherwise great experience I was having as a backer.

This game deserved better than this. Obsidian and their backers deserved better than this.

The only thing I remember from the Stick of Truth Collector's Edition was the Cartman doll. That's pretty hard to compare to this. There's a giant box that Cartman came in, but that's hardly worth displaying.

Unless these pictures are being taken with professional quality cameras (they're not), you're kind of talking out of your ass here. A photograph does not show how something looks to the naked eye.

Certainly not when one is using a flash and/or typical home lighting that colorshades the image. You need some studio lights (or a homemade lightbox), and of course most of the time when ppl are doing that, they're aiming to make something look as good, vibrant and colorful as possible, which also isn't always "naked eye." laughing.gif

Anyway, using a better camera, but a crap flash unit with poor indoor lighting (I'm too lazy to pull out my makeshift lightboxes...), I tried fiddling with the resulting terrible photos to see if I could at least get the map part of a photo to be closer to what I see with my eyeballs. Got kinda close on the land masses, but the flash (and editor fiddling) makes the water and PoE logo look a lot bluer/green than it really is - it's actually all largely shades of light brown (the van bench-seat the map is resting on is light blue IRL, heh). The mossy stuff under the logo is barely visible/has little contrast to the eye, because the browns are so closely matched.

But if you picture the water as brownish, it's close-ish. Haha. The other pic is just a full-size crop for detail. eg, you can see the cloth grain.

Maybe if you took the map into sunlight at noon, it'd look different/less all-brown. I dunno - it's 2am here, can't check. :)

clothmap-03a.jpg

clothmap-04.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The only thing I remember from the Stick of Truth Collector's Edition was the Cartman doll. That's pretty hard to compare to this. There's a giant box that Cartman came in, but that's hardly worth displaying.

It wasn't much but that Cartman figure feels like it cost more to produce than everything in my CE.

Mind you, it seems like my map was at the tail end of the printing run so it looks even worse than it should. Lucky me.

Edited by Vasid

My CE hasn't even been shipped yet. And I live in Europe, so it'll be at least another two weeks from then.

If you are believing this simply because there is a "Shipping Soon"-Flag in your "Orders"-Tap then it doesn´t have to be true!

I got two orders, one for the CE and one for three extra keys and that one still got shipment status "Pending", although all keys have been delivered and redeemed!

In other words: That "Orders"-Tab sucks! :D

BTW: The CE´s map is looking surprisingly well on these shots... http://imgur.com/gallery/CDJeu 

Never understood the fascination with cloth maps. Seriously. What do you guys do with these things? Is cloth somehow a better material for maps than paper?

Collectors!  Put it on display or just to have it really.  I have bookshelves of collector's edition games and movies myself.