Collector's Editon Map (horrible)

Just got my collector's edition. Yeah, it kind of sucks. So blurry you can barely read some of the text. 

I'm not too fussed since I paid to support Obsidian and just to have a big box around, but yeah, these KS physical goods are rarely worth the money (and rarely worth the bother for the devs, too).

• Like 1

I'm with Tigranes:  I did the 140 tier to support Obsidian not for the trinkets.  That said, the map is definitely garbagey.  Thin, low quality, washed out, blurry.   I'll generally avoid physical tiers in the future unless there is some assurance of higher quality.

Can't check mine 'til I get home today (just arrived while I was at work).

The thing is, if they were printed so crappily, couldn't they simply tell the people who printed it "Umm... do it over."? Unless the image they gave them is blurry, why should it be acceptable for the print-quality to be so bad. Forget for us, for Obsidian/Paradox! Unless they printed it themselves, they hired someone to print maps, right? Well, they didn't really print maps. They printed blurry, sort-of maps. Heck, you'd think someone at the place that printed them would've QA'd the first few that came out, and said "Hang on, guys. Something's not calibrated properly," and then they'd call in Garrus Vakarian or something to fix it.

If you went to a photographer, and said "Hi, I'd like some photos taken, please," and he took super-blurry photos in which you couldn't see people's faces, wouldn't you have him fix it or just walk away?

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Well, I'd assume, like other KS's, it was tough to find someone who would do what is a pretty low print run for a competitive price, competitive enough that Obsidian wouldn't lose a lot of money preparing the physical rewards. That's why you see a lot of KSers packing the physical rewards into boxes themselves, for example. 

The postcard and seal is OK. The t-shirt I haven't even unwrapped, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a shirt with a logo on it. (Anybody want it? PM me and just pay for shipping, it's small and I'm in the US.)

I briefly considered backing the map tier, but I just couldn't justify it.  I'm glad I didn't after reading this.  I love my old cloth maps and I expect Ultima quality if I get one.  Or at least DA:O quality if it's on a cheaper tier.  It was a little small, but it's not ugly or muddy.

I don't understand the obsession either, but I'm definitely a part of it.  It's probably nostalgia.

^ True. I wonder how they had it printed. I wonder how much it would've been to have a screenprinting shop do it. I mean, they print nice-quality stuff on cloth all the time for t-shirts and banners. I'd think a cloth map wouldn't be much different. Maybe a slightly different cloth? I dunno.

I'm just curious about it, though. I just don't see the point in paying someone to have it printed if they're not going to do it right. It's like if you hired someone to rotate your tires, but they welded your wheels back on instead of attaching them with lugnuts. Sure, they rotated your tires. But, better to have them not-rotated than welded on.

I mean, I'd personally rather they just spent the map-printing money on the game itself, than to spend it on blurry, "technically we printed it like you wanted" maps.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Mine was on the doorstep today when I got home.

Map: yes, it's a little weak. The thread count of the cloth seems low (or thick thread weave) so it makes print across it look like it's missing some anti-aliasing, haha. But it's not the worst I've seen as far as cloth maps go.

T-shirt: it's black with logos, it's a t-shirt. I like it. The material is a bit thin however - I thought it would be a little thicker. I might hang it on my wall instead of wearing it.

Guidebook thingie: Part1? What is that about? It's a nice piece of hardcover guidebook, however.

Mousepad - it's a mousepad.

Patches - they're fine.

Physical goods weren't my goal, supporting the game/Obsidian was. But it's still always fun to open a box. Also, this:

box01.jpg

Which CA doodle did you end up with? ;)

(I don't know how different they were, I remember some signing pics where it looked like he randomly did at least some different ones but...).

box02.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mine was on the doorstep today when I got home.

Map: yes, it's a little weak. The thread count of the cloth seems low (or thick thread weave) so it makes print across it look like it's missing some anti-aliasing, haha. But it's not the worst I've seen as far as cloth maps go.

T-shirt: it's black with logos, it's a t-shirt. I like it. The material is a bit thin however - I thought it would be a little thicker. I might hang it on my wall instead of wearing it.

Guidebook thingie: Part1? What is that about? It's a nice piece of hardcover guidebook, however.

Mousepad - it's a mousepad.

Patches - they're fine.

Physical goods weren't my goal, supporting the game/Obsidian was. But it's still always fun to open a box. Also, this:

box01.jpg

Which CA doodle did you end up with? ;)

(I don't know how different they were, I remember some signing pics where it looked like he randomly did at least some different ones but...).

box02.jpg

By the way, what the heck is a cloth patch? I'm thoroughly confused every time I look at that on my "Pending" order. Is it like the suede patches professors put on their elbows?

More like something you'd stitch or iron onto your shirt pocket or jacket front, or back jeans pocket if you've a mind, perhaps. It's in the shape of the game logo (the crystal thingies).

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm extremely disappointed. The only reason I pledged for the collectors edition was the promise of a "beautiful cloth map like those of classic CRPGs". Instead I'm treated to modern screen printed garbage and a collectors edition that looks like cheap tat next to Stick of Truth's CE which I paid less for. It's not even just the printing job, the map it's self is just a lazy copy of the in-game map and looks in no way like a living piece of the world.

I will literally never pledge for another CE sight unseen.

Shame too as this really sort of tarnishes the otherwise great experience I was having as a backer.

This game deserved better than this. Obsidian and their backers deserved better than this.

Edited by Vasid
  • Like 1

They're called adra pillars. GYAH! pinch.gif

original.gif

*TERMINOLOGY POLICE SIREN*

I prefer "thingies." :biggrin:

Just wanted to post my two bits to balance things out.

I pledged $140 for a Collector's Edition. It hasn't arrived yet.

I really don't care if it does. And if it does, and it's all banged up, scratched to ****, and the map is printed on toilet paper... again, I don't care.

$140 to help get a game as fantastic as this made, which truly allows me to relive my misspent youth in the IE era, but with a NEW game, and the promise of more to come in the future?

$140 well spent.

I'll probably pledge as much again for their next KS.

^ What we should do (totally sincere, here) is find out who printed the maps, and review their product en masse.

I dunno... maybe there's some reason they're like that? But, I can't think of one of the top of my head that makes it understandable to ship blurry cloth maps and call it a job-well-done. Like I said, I don't understand why a place who prints things for a living (which I'm assuming is the type of shop they had print the maps) wouldn't ensure the customer (in this case, Obsidian) gets the best quality product they can. If, for example, the image, ink, and cloth choice Obsidian (or Paradox, I suppose... not sure who actually spoke to the printer and had these printed/OK'd them) went with were going to cause an issue, or if the maps came out obviously less-than-ideal quality, they should've said something about it. I know I would.

Sigh.  Original Sin all over again.

No more physical reward pledge tiers for me.

Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

No more physical tiers is pretty much where I'm at. This is pretty terrible for $140. Not even remotely worth it. 

People who don't understand Kickstarter shouldn't use it.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I really don't care if it does. And if it does, and it's all banged up, scratched to ****, and the map is printed on toilet paper... again, I don't care.

Oh man...actually, if one of the rewards had been a roll of toilet paper with sections of map printed on it, I so would have wanted that. Would've been hilarious. I'd put it on top of my PC and giggle every time I looked at it. I'm weird I know.

I do wonder who printed the maps, and if that's their "normal."

• Like 1

Look, I'm all for supporting Obsidian, that's why I gave them money years in advance without question.

But getting a **** product is getting a **** product no matter how you slice it.

If they needed more money to make the cloth maps something memorable instead of this cheap trash I would have gladly paid it. Instead I'm just left with a sour taste in the mouth, which is not what I should have after recieving a package from hands down my favorite developer.