About The Setting

I'd prefer it if the future project was not made for the consoles and then ported to the PC... but it's not as if we have any choice.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I'd prefer it if the future project was not made for the consoles and then ported to the PC... but it's not as if we have any choice.

I don't think that'll be the case. Feargus Urquhart said something about it in an interview with Gamespot. He said:

"Interplay wants to focus on console titles and I don't think that the future of gaming is entirely on the console. I enjoy developing games for both the console and the PC and abandoning one completely for the other is not a direction that I would like my career to go. "

As I see it, porting console games to PC is not developing games for both PC and console.

Perhaps he meant that Obsidian will work on PC titles as well as console titles, which is fine. But I do not think Microsoft will allow KotOR2 to be published on the PC at the same time it is published on the X-Box.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Back to the topic at hand, I really don't care what the setting is as long as the story is good and gameplay decent enough.

Perhaps he meant that Obsidian will work on PC titles as well as console titles, which is fine. But I do not think Microsoft will allow KotOR2 to be published on the PC at the same time it is published on the X-Box.

I see what you mean, but KotOR wasn't really a port, I've played them on both systems, and it is true that the PC version could have had a more distinct feel, but it still didn't feel like a true port.

Back to the topic at hand, I really don't care what the setting is as long as the story is good and gameplay decent enough.

Agreed to that. I enjoyed playing games in various settings, all because they had good gameplay and excellent storylines (I prefer a good storyline, with the gameplay a close second).

With Avellone aboard, I am confident Obsidian can provide us with a great storyline. The question is whether the other elements will match up to it?

...okay...but I think a story that takes place in the futur provides other potentialities then one in the middle ages...guns, robots, interplanetary travel, other problems to fight against...and so on...I just meant that I would prefer a good story and gameplay in a futur world...killing dragons is fun but...

Setting is broadly irrelevant, though I'd say the typical dragons and dwaves setting is overused and leads to a generic world. What concerns me more is the disturbing lack of any decent games on the PC for the past few years on a commercial level, and I think that's directly linked to the consoles and lazy publishers and developers who think, the type of quality they put out on consoles (pretty poor IMO) will work for the PC fanbase. If consoles had good games on them I wouldn't bash them but most of them are s**t (lets see if there's a swear filter...)

...okay...but I think a story that takes place in the futur provides other potentialities then one in the middle ages...guns, robots, interplanetary travel, other problems to fight against...and so on...I just meant that I would prefer a good story and gameplay in a futur world...killing dragons is fun but...

But it gets repetitive, I know what you mean.

And I would mouch more prefer it if Obsidian created their own setting, instead of building forth on an existing license, like the Star Wars license. Especially if they are going to do anything in a sci-fi/post-apoc setting.

Just how good be 'talking' about a possible setting/gameplay be, if the devs aren't allowed to give away any hints about the game (if I read the FAQ right)...

Anyway... I'm curious what the next generation of (RP) Games will be. I'm sure the devs are very inspirational and with the use of better equipment will produce a line of games to make us all talk about it for years to come. [/ranting]

I'd like to see another game with PS:T's depth of detail and plot, and NPCs. MCA works here, I am certain with a decent marketing campaign the game could, and would, sell. Just takes someone to take a risk.

Also if MCA is reading this, how does it feel to be credited to be the driving force behind one of the greatest CRPGs ever written? :) :ph34r: :unsure:

I'm fairly ambivalent about what setting the first Obsidian game is placed in, and if it's KOTOR2 that's fine. I can't get excited about KOTOR2 not having played the first one, but if it takes doing a sequel to a high-profile and successful game to get the Obsidian name out there, then that's fine. Particularly if that means it allows Obsidian to do an independent (ie non-licensed) RPG.

Though I would like to see what MCA would do with the Star Wars universe. With a good story, good characters and so forth, the setting isn't a prime concern.

newlogo.gif

Yes, but the developers also have more artistic freedom with the setting.

Post apoc is overrated.