I know you can have a roster of 8. So if you hire a custom Adventurer will you still be able to get all the scripted ones? I don't want to miss out because I hire one at the Inn early in the game.

Thanks. 

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

You shouldn't miss out I believe. You can always dismiss them from the roster at your Stronghold (at least, I'm pretty sure you can. It wouldn't make sense otherwise).

The Adventures of Abattoir, my Pillars of Eternity Let's Play! Following Abattoir, an Aumaua-sized Death Godlike Cipher who wishes to prove to the world that Death Godlikes can be trustworthy and helpful, while getting caught in some terrible circumstances.

Yeah I was worried if I hired one at the Inn I would only have 7 slots left or something and would miss out.

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

So no problem hiring a custom character or two and still getting all 8 scripted NPCs?

I had the game pretty much tell me I needed to bring along more people for an area I was going to. I take it we are mean to create adventurers to round up the parties numbers? It's not really optional.

I've not created any; if it feels like I need more people to tackle something, I come back to it once I've picked up more of the companions.

I'm at point where I only have 2 people and I can't do it with only 2. I don't know when I'll get a third. I'd rather wait... 

no spoilers here but it's not the super beginning but still very early on.

Edited by AstroCat

I can hire an adventurer I just don't want to screw myself out of being able to get all the found characters. I wish we knew if the 8 limit is for ALL characters or just the HIRED ones?

I've never heard about this magic 8 number, where did you hear that?  Would like to know an answer here too since I've already created 4.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Party

Adventurers[edit]
250px-Hiring_Adventurers.jpg?version=3f2
magnify-clip.png
The hiring adventurers interface

Custom adventurers can be created by hiring them from any inn. These customized party members won't have the same depth of characterization and writing as the companions, but the option exists to prevent players from being stuck with party members they don't enjoy and to allow players to experiment with unusual party configurations (such as a party composed entirely of warriors or healers, which Obsidian stated is something they want to support as much as possible).

You can hire up to 8 adventurers, it is the easiest and quickest way to increase size of your party. Todo so you must find an inn - there is at least one in every village and city -- and talk with the innkeeper, he will allow you to recruit an adventurer. Maximum level of adventurer that you can recruit depends on your main character level, it is one point lower. For every adventurer level you pay 250 coins, which means that if you recruit character on eight level, you must pay 2000 for him.

The only logical choice is to recruit adventurer on highest level possible. It is better to wait and save some money than waste time and funds on slowly developing your adventurer. When you decide upon a specific adventurer, you will be moved to the character creation screen, known from the beginning of the game. You can pick all parameters of your future ally. Newly created character will be on first level, but you will be able to immediately level up it to the level you have bought.[8]

I can hire an adventurer I just don't want to screw myself out of being able to get all the found characters. I wish we knew if the 8 limit is for ALL characters or just the HIRED ones?

I am almost positive that it's just for the hired ones.  As for picking up more of the companions, I'm going to assume you're in the first little town if you just have two?  Head south and you can get another easily enough.

Thanks... you are probably right. And I do believe there are 3 relatively quickly... so I'm good now without needing to make a custom one. :)

Edited by AstroCat