Some questions about difficulty for PoE

Hi guys, this game looks awsome to me because I am huge fan of the bg series games. So I wanted to ask a few questions about it before I purchase it.

1. Is the game engine similar to the BG series?

2. What is the difficulty like on the hardest settings, is it challenging for a veteran gamer?

3. Do the enemies have their own unique level like they do in the BG series? Or do enemies scale with your character level like they do in most rpgs lately :(

4. Can you comment on anything else that I may want to hear about the difficulty of it thanks.

1. More than a decade later, so I would say yes but better;

2.Dunno, I played Path of the Damned right of the bat. With Scripted NPC. It is challenging enough, yes. That's an understatement;

3. Unique level, it is a rpg :);

4. It is like an IE game, but not a IE game. Don't expect to win easily with the exact same tactics than in BG. You will have to learn.

I'd say I'm a Baldur's Gate veteran. I started on Hard. It's difficult enough to be a challenge for me, but not so much that I'm dying over and over again. Anyone new to this kind of game's combat should probably start with Easy. Those at least familiar with BG should be okay on Normal.

• Like 1

The Adventures of Abattoir, my Pillars of Eternity Let's Play! Following Abattoir, an Aumaua-sized Death Godlike Cipher who wishes to prove to the world that Death Godlikes can be trustworthy and helpful, while getting caught in some terrible circumstances.

Hi guys, this game looks awsome to me because I am huge fan of the bg series games. So I wanted to ask a few questions about it before I purchase it.

1. Is the game engine similar to the BG series?

2. What is the difficulty like on the hardest settings, is it challenging for a veteran gamer?

3. Do the enemies have their own unique level like they do in the BG series? Or do enemies scale with your character level like they do in most rpgs lately :(

4. Can you comment on anything else that I may want to hear about the difficulty of it thanks.

1. Similar in some, different in other ways. It looks like an IE game by the screen shots. However, it plays differently in some ways.

2. There are four difficulties. Easy, Normal, Hard, Path of the Damned. Hard is similar to Core Rules in the BG games. Plus there's two additional settings, Expert (takes away all the additional helper info in the game) and Trial of Iron (one save game and the game deletes it if you die) that you can take on top of the first four. It seems a lot of people including myself are playing on Hard by looking at these forums.

3. Most enemies don't scale. The only ones that do are on the crit path. But only by a small amount of levels and you probably won't even notice it. Also, some enemies (humans) don't give kill xp. Usually it's only critters and only a certain amount of that type. If the enemy appears in your 'bestiary' then it will give xp. If the enemy doesn't appear in the bestiary, then no xp is rewarded for killing them. eg. Kill a wolf and you get xp, but once you kill 10 wolves that's it, and killing anymore wolves won't give you xp.

4. The mechanics are quite different, especially with the engagement system. After I finish my first play through, I'm going to install the IE mod and take the engagement system off. While I don't mind it in PoE, I prefer the IE games where I can move my characters around freely or retreat without getting an automatic disengagement hit. Otherwise you need 'special' powers to retreat like knockdown, escape, etc. The spells system is a little different as they are either encounter of daily powers.

Some will see the changes controversial but overall it's a great game imo.

I'm an Infinity Engine vet and I play on Hard mode. Combat is kinda hard but not to the point where I want to punch my computer screen. Sometimes I survive with only one party member, sometimes I survive with all.

I'm still waiting for the part where I'll get to feel the really hard part.

Well I hope it is as mysterious as BG2. Where you could walk into some random crypt in the middle of a city and accidentally summon a high level elemental lich that your not suppose to take on early/low levels or u can get severly punished. :p