It's doesn't seem fair that AoE indicators are expert mode

My immense ego and pride will not let me turn expert mode off, but it seems unfair that this particular option is in there. Since attributes affect AoE just about every character has different sizes. And since the spell effects are so much more annoying fancy, it's hard to tell even after casting exactly what the AoE was.

Just my 2 cents.

Because Expert mode is about learning that stuff by trial and error, and then just knowing? It's not about being "fair" ;)

Hmm? I think expert mode is about recreating the IE experience more than anything. Hiding a lot of the stuff Obsidian wanted to show by default.

I'm saying that the changes to how AoE work means you can't just slap on something that looks like IE and expect it to work. Hiding AoEs didn't even really work in IE games, but since it was so consistent you could get a feel for it.

Expert mode is presumably not intended for the first play through.  Or possibly also intended for those who's ego does not allow them to bypass it.  But think about it, on a first play through a player can not possibly be an expert...

My advice is that if an ego is big enough that a player must use Expert mode, then the ego should also be big enough that the player doesn't complain about it :-)

• Like 1

Actually, your main problem is not an issue. All increased AoE from Int is FoeAoE only. You only ever have to worry about friendly fire from the base area.

You don't worry about whether your attacks will hit the enemy?

There are also a lot more cone shaped aoes compared to IE games and those are harder to aim.

Expert mode is presumably not intended for the first play through.  Or possibly also intended for those who's ego does not allow them to bypass it.  But think about it, on a first play through a player can not possibly be an expert...

My advice is that if an ego is big enough that a player must use Expert mode, then the ego should also be big enough that the player doesn't complain about it :-)

I don't get this. Even if I had played the game through 2 times over, I'd still like to see the AoE circles. There's nothing really "expert" about being able figure out distances since they're in the descriptions anyways.

I'm dealing with it, and I'll get through the game, but it's just something I don't like and I'm giving feedback. I'm not forcing the devs to change the game or something.

Every IE veteran who likes to mess with fireballs/skulltraps/cloudkills a lot should have no problem dealing with expert mode. ;)

IE games did things a lot differently with regards to spell range, fog of war, and AoE sizes and shapes that make it unpleasant to not see the outlines. Not that it was ever pleasant in IE games.

Expert modes switches off helpers that weren't present in the IE games. They didn't have AoE indicators, so expert mode doesn't either.

I happily admit to being not an expert.

In addition to what PIP-Clownboy said, IE games didn't have different sized AoEs based on attributes.

They fundamentally changed how AoEs work and hiding it is just unpleasant. Even more unpleasant than the already unpleasant hidden AoEs in IE.

I find it interesting no has disagreed with the premise, they just feel that expert mode should be unfair it seems.

God stop noobing around. Leave all your characters with 10 int if you must, or use friendly fire wizard spells like chill for and fetid curse.

I for one play on expert mode with maxed int casters and don't want nooby friendly fire markers.

Another thing is that if you turn off expert mode, you can manually select what help features you want. So disable expert mode and turn off everything except AoE markers and there you go.

Edited by Mungri

Another thing is that if you turn off expert mode, you can manually select what help features you want. So disable expert mode and turn off everything except AoE markers and there you go.

That's exactly what I did when I started a new game, except there are less enemies now. Apparently expert mode also increases the difficulty directly.