[PSA] GAME-BREAKING BUG AFFECTING EVERYONE INCLUDING YOU! Temporary fix for party members only currently.

TrueMenace

Question

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

Kirur:

"If you double click an item to equip it to your character, your character loses ALL Passives/Racials/Permanent Buffs, forever.

Dragging and dropping works fine, but do not double click or you might find yourself having to restart your game. Loading the game up from a previous save thankfully does fix it.

webm of the bug in action: http://webmup.com/HArIv/vid.webm

As you can see, I lose several passive effects (And am already missing my Wood Elf racial from a previous time before I learned about the bug), including a talent and a class ability. The abilities remain listed in the abilities/talents section, but if they aren't in active effects, then perhaps you've already encountered the bug first hand.

EDIT: Another webm http://webmup.com/aDSfX/vid.webm

Kana loses his 3rd Weapon Slot as soon as I double click so it's not just a visual display bug, you do actually lose all bonuses.

Also thought I'd stress that it only happens when you double click to REPLACE an item, if the slot is empty you won't lose anything. So please double check before you post saying that it isn't happening to you."

Everyone who has actively tested this has confirmed this.

Update:

Removing characters from your party and then adding them back apparently fixes the bug for party members. But the bug will come back if you double-click to equip items... No fix for PC though.

Update 2:

Anbokr from Reddit:

"Just a heads up, I've tested several of my barbarian passives, and even though they are bugged and not showing under active effects, they are still working behind the scenes. Same deal with my human racial."

No one has confirmed his testings however.

Update 3: More reports that PC passive's/talents/etc aren't working like Nature Godlike's racial due to this bug.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 7

Calibrating...

how do i dismiss an NPC from the party

I don't know if this has been answered above but you can get rid of companions thus:

1/ You can talk to them (select the speech bubble icon, in their active ability) and tell them to bugger off. You should be able to rehire them at a later stage at stronghold or the first tavern you encounter

2/ In the stronghold, once acquired, either through the stronghold interface ('H') or when leaving the stronghold map.

3/ If you hire a new companion when your party is full.

Does someone has any new informations on whether the fix will be retro compatible or not? This game is very good and I played it for more than 40 hours since its launch but I stopped since I don't want to have to get back to a far earlier savepoint when the patch come out.

Since lots of people seem to have missed it. This is what Dev Adam Brennecke had to say about the bug on Saturday.

We do have a fix for this, and I'm trying to make it retroactive, so it will fix any save games that have this problem.

And to those wondering when the patch will be released :

Screen.png

source: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71830-pillars-of-eternity-support-faq/

In other words, be patient original.gif

EDIT:

One developer in other forum said he doesn't know how to fix it and the lead one here on saturday said that he's trying to make it retroactive.

So, no clear promises yet.

The bug will be fixed for sure. And IIRC it already has, they just have to crash-test the fix.

Whether it'll be retroactive, however, is apparently not 100% sure but it's reasonable enough to expect it.

Has, this bug been fixed yet?

I am itching to play, but would rather wait to buy the game until this has been fixed.

I would definitely not hold off on playing the game at this point. Besides this bug, my experience has been very smooth so far!

Plus it's really easy to avoid it:

- drag & drop

- check abilities often

- save often and don't overwrite previous saves (that way you'll be able to go back to an unaffected save)

Edited by Quantics

Unfortunately, after falling to the floor, my trackball randomly double clicks on its own(I'll replace it eventually, but it's a $130 trackball that isn't being made anymore), so I can't avoid the bug as easily as most.  Until I know for certain that the bug will be fixed retroactively for existing saves, I can't go any further because I may have to reroll.

Unfortunately, after falling to the floor, my trackball randomly double clicks on its own(I'll replace it eventually, but it's a $130 trackball that isn't being made anymore), so I can't avoid the bug as easily as most.  Until I know for certain that the bug will be fixed retroactively for existing saves, I can't go any further because I may have to reroll.

Mayhap you'll find this useful then? :)

Edited by Quantics

Mayhap you'll find this useful then? :)

Semi-useful.  I could at least start a new game if I wanted.  My current game, on the other hand, is already affected.  Thanks for pointing it out though.

Edited by Scars Unseen

I would definitely not hold off on playing the game at this point. Besides this bug, my experience has been very smooth so far!

Well, between this bug and my Cipher basically being a dude with a gun and max 3-4 spells per fight (due to focus not regenerating thanks to another bug -.-) I think I will hold off and wait for a patch. Since "no doubleclicks allowed" + items randomly disappearing from partymembers + cipher being almost useless once you equip one of those amulets and only realize it several hours later it kinda ruins the fun.

I don't understand how big glaring issues like these get through QA, I mean, I can understand small bugs that only happen under specific circumstances once in a blue moon slipping through but this plus the "items disappearing on dismissing partymembers"-bug seems to affect the vast majority of playthroughs of the game.

just my 2 cents

And don't forget this little one too: Using stash erases similar letters/books!

Yeah, I'm probably gonna be forced to start over as it is, mind as well wait till the game is more stable. And I agree, how did all this get released!?

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

This affects not only the positive buffs but also is prevalent with debuffs.

I just noticed it yesterday when fighting a pack of druids. After the fight, the insect swarms kept swaring around them and didn't go away.

The visuals disappeared after zoning, but the debuffs lingered on. (The debuffs disappeared on the bottom left after saving)

Screenshot 1 (Pre removal from group)

rtffaPKm.jpg

Screenshot 2: (After removal from group)

gjYnGOmm.jpg

Edited by Xatulu

111 deflection might be faintly possible in edge cases (I assume Eder is level 12 there), but having 111 deflection at the same time as 80 accuracy is completely OP.

How many deflection points per level do fighters get? I know that druids get 3.

Eder is Level 11 btw.

But that also would explain why fights are a real breeze right now. Hopeing for a fix soon, for this and for the whole Saving/Loading Issue.

Edit: Just had another look - it stays at 109 Deflection with Defender on at 80 Accuracy. This is also including Zealous Focus though, so he has 94 Deflection / 74 Accuracy unbuffed. (The 2 Difference in Deflection come from the first Screenshot also including a +2 Resolve rest bonus, so the stats check out)

Edited by Xatulu

Really missing my racial passive :(

+5 accuracy on shots and spells is highly welcome.

This and the companion bug are the top 2 bugs for me.

Hopefully something can be done soon.

Yes I figured this one out too late, when I was looking for specific help on the forums.

Warned my friends though.

Edited by Maf
  • Like 1

Eder is Level 11 btw.

But that also would explain why fights are a real breeze right now. Hopeing for a fix soon, for this and for the whole Saving/Loading Issue.

Edit: Just had another look - it stays at 109 Deflection with Defender on at 80 Accuracy. This is also including Zealous Focus though, so he has 94 Deflection / 74 Accuracy unbuffed. (The 2 Difference in Deflection come from the first Screenshot also including a +2 Resolve rest bonus, so the stats check out)

At level 11, Eder is supposed to have 25 (Fighter default) + 2 (Resolve default) + 3 * 10 (3 per every level after first) = 57 with no items and modal abilities.

Edited by Insolentius
  • Like 1

Really missing my racial passive :(

+5 accuracy on shots and spells is highly welcome.

This and the companion bug are the top 2 bugs for me.

Hopefully something can be done soon.

Yes I figured this one out too late, when I was looking for specific help on the forums.

Warned my friends though.

You can get distant advantage back fairly easily using the console, if you dont mind losing out on achievements?