[PSA] GAME-BREAKING BUG AFFECTING EVERYONE INCLUDING YOU! Temporary fix for party members only currently.

TrueMenace

Question

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

Kirur:

"If you double click an item to equip it to your character, your character loses ALL Passives/Racials/Permanent Buffs, forever.

Dragging and dropping works fine, but do not double click or you might find yourself having to restart your game. Loading the game up from a previous save thankfully does fix it.

webm of the bug in action: http://webmup.com/HArIv/vid.webm

As you can see, I lose several passive effects (And am already missing my Wood Elf racial from a previous time before I learned about the bug), including a talent and a class ability. The abilities remain listed in the abilities/talents section, but if they aren't in active effects, then perhaps you've already encountered the bug first hand.

EDIT: Another webm http://webmup.com/aDSfX/vid.webm

Kana loses his 3rd Weapon Slot as soon as I double click so it's not just a visual display bug, you do actually lose all bonuses.

Also thought I'd stress that it only happens when you double click to REPLACE an item, if the slot is empty you won't lose anything. So please double check before you post saying that it isn't happening to you."

Everyone who has actively tested this has confirmed this.

Update:

Removing characters from your party and then adding them back apparently fixes the bug for party members. But the bug will come back if you double-click to equip items... No fix for PC though.

Update 2:

Anbokr from Reddit:

"Just a heads up, I've tested several of my barbarian passives, and even though they are bugged and not showing under active effects, they are still working behind the scenes. Same deal with my human racial."

No one has confirmed his testings however.

Update 3: More reports that PC passive's/talents/etc aren't working like Nature Godlike's racial due to this bug.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 7

Calibrating...

I'm playing a Human Male Fighter, I am just in the beginning of the game (the forest in the 2:d map) and my Active Effects have always been empty. I really hope it's suppose to be.

It's good to know this so I can avoid the problem at least. This thread should be made sticky for everyone to see.

And while we are at it - please hotfix Rogue's Reckless Assault and other toggable abilities that can't be turned off too, I fear it could lead to bloated save pretty quickly:

7BVwjm5.jpg

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72998-rogues-reckless-assault-ability-doesnt-turn-off-but-tries-to-stack-itself/

I made a bug report about it.

Calibrating...

Wow this sucks! Confirmed! Do I really have to start over?!?! I can't believe this bug was in the release! I'm so pissed!

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Does the talent vanish from the character's sheet or does it just stop working ? I'm trying to figure out if I'm victim from this bug too.

EDIT : My Fire-Godlike talent still work anyway. Not sure for the rest of it.

It disappears from the sheet.  See the reddit thread, shows it in action.  http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

It is possible to give the main character a "duplicate" of the skill, which will take effect. (cf. this thread with console commands: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71903-console-commandscheats/page-3)

I do not know, however, if you can remove the duplicate skill in case the much anticipated fix is retroactive... wouldn't want my character to wind up with two "Towering Physique", "Armored Grace", and "Confident Aim" buffs permanently active.

Is there any update on whether the fix will be retroactive or not?

I mean seriously starting over would suck for so many people!

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

It's a bit sad that I read about a lot of bugs on these forums that were known in the early beta...

Like double click to equip causing weird things, missing inventory items and such. I wonder if it's all related to some messed up UI code. Back in the early beta all kinds of equipment and other items went missing or armors duplicated when double clicking these to swap them.

To replicate this bug you have to switch any equipment by double clicking, equip- and unequipping works fine with a double click.

I've successfully swapped hoods, capes and armors to lose the active racial effects.

Maybe it has to do with some arbitrary UI code or a bad function call or an outdated function that messes with references/pointers that store character data...

Edited by sb5

Is there any update on whether the fix will be retroactive or not?

I mean seriously starting over would suck for so many people!

Yes, they are working on it. Developer reply on page 3.

Ok, I guess I'll have to put PoE on hold for now. Ugh! I was so enjoying the game.

I'm just resigned to enjoying it bugs and all.  I reroll/restart incessantly in these types of games.

I'll just try and remember not to double-click items to swap equipped items.  And not to equip items "of the Unconquerable".  And to move all companion equipment to the Stash before dismissing them.  And to not create or reload saved games.  And… *head 'splodes*

• Like 1

--/\/

And to not create or reload saved games.  And… *head 'splodes*

That's a joke right!??! It's sad that I have to ask.

Oh and what bug is this one? "of the Unconquerable" 

Edited by AstroCat

And to not create or reload saved games.  And… *head 'splodes*

That's a joke right!??! It's sad that I have to ask.

Oh and what bug is this one? "of the Unconquerable" 

Infinite intellect stacking and Soul Whip not working. Bugs of Eternity.

It is possible to give the main character a "duplicate" of the skill, which will take effect. (cf. this thread with console commands: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71903-console-commandscheats/page-3)

I do not know, however, if you can remove the duplicate skill in case the much anticipated fix is retroactive... wouldn't want my character to wind up with two "Towering Physique", "Armored Grace", and "Confident Aim" buffs permanently active.

I think Bester will include a RemoveAbility command in the IE mod soon, so you should be able to remove some duplicates. However, it seems to not only be the explicit abilities that are affected. For example, I have duplicated stat bonuses from equipment, and endurance bonuses which I cant seem to get rid of. I also seem to have -2 DR on the Paladin permanently...

You can use IE mod to redo the character creation and get everything back. it clears your abilities though so you would have to re-add everything.

No, it wont fix the problem. It does clear some duplicated stuff (explicit abilities), but not modifiers to attributes, skills, DR, defences, accuracy or endurance. All those hidden modifiers get duplicated in the same way, but is not cleared by ChangeClass.

How can I test if this has actually effected my character? I'm a human wizard and low enough level that my only passive is Fighting Spirit and that seems to activate regards of whether I double click to swap items or not? Also my attributes don't change either

Another trigger for this bug - selecting the fighter-specific "Weapon Specialization" talent / ability (not the generally available Weapon Focus talent) also clears active effects. My fighter loses the effect "Confident Aim" from another fighter talent, specifically. Hope this gets fixed soon.