[PSA] GAME-BREAKING BUG AFFECTING EVERYONE INCLUDING YOU! Temporary fix for party members only currently.

TrueMenace

Question

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

Kirur:

"If you double click an item to equip it to your character, your character loses ALL Passives/Racials/Permanent Buffs, forever.

Dragging and dropping works fine, but do not double click or you might find yourself having to restart your game. Loading the game up from a previous save thankfully does fix it.

webm of the bug in action: http://webmup.com/HArIv/vid.webm

As you can see, I lose several passive effects (And am already missing my Wood Elf racial from a previous time before I learned about the bug), including a talent and a class ability. The abilities remain listed in the abilities/talents section, but if they aren't in active effects, then perhaps you've already encountered the bug first hand.

EDIT: Another webm http://webmup.com/aDSfX/vid.webm

Kana loses his 3rd Weapon Slot as soon as I double click so it's not just a visual display bug, you do actually lose all bonuses.

Also thought I'd stress that it only happens when you double click to REPLACE an item, if the slot is empty you won't lose anything. So please double check before you post saying that it isn't happening to you."

Everyone who has actively tested this has confirmed this.

Update:

Removing characters from your party and then adding them back apparently fixes the bug for party members. But the bug will come back if you double-click to equip items... No fix for PC though.

Update 2:

Anbokr from Reddit:

"Just a heads up, I've tested several of my barbarian passives, and even though they are bugged and not showing under active effects, they are still working behind the scenes. Same deal with my human racial."

No one has confirmed his testings however.

Update 3: More reports that PC passive's/talents/etc aren't working like Nature Godlike's racial due to this bug.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 7

Calibrating...

Oh dear, I seem to remember double clicking on items to equip at various times. I've had a quick check of my PC and can't see anything obvious missing. He's a Wood Elf Wizard and it's still listing the Distant Advantage in his ability list. Should I be checking for anything else?

And how do I kick companions and Inn made hirelings out (and rejoin) of my party?

Thanks.

Wow this suxs big time. Obsidian should have released a Day1 patch. Same old buggy game from Obsidian? :/

They did release a Day 1 patch. Bugs happen with every game on the planet, though you might not experience many of them. Last 2 releases from Obsidian were universally praised for almost zero bugs. *shrug*

Saturday night is the worst time to discover a bug, since every fix risks breaking something else. Hopefully it's a simple one to figure out and hotfix.

Oh dear, I seem to remember double clicking on items to equip at various times. I've had a quick check of my PC and can't see anything obvious missing. He's a Wood Elf Wizard and it's still listing the Distant Advantage in his ability list. Should I be checking for anything else?

And how do I kick companions and Inn made hirelings out (and rejoin) of my party?

Thanks.

May be OK if he still has distant advantage, since it seems to get rid of all or none. 

Press P while in stronghold, or talk to an innkeeper and click on the party tab. That's how you switch party members for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Update 4 from Anbokr on Reddit:

"I've tested this on several characters now, specifically marksman (+accuracy) and greater carnage (+accuracy to carnage). I lost both of these from active effects because of the bug, but by looking at my combat log accuracy rolls (during actual combat), I could see that both talents were still functioning behind the scenes.

I'm fairly certain this is just a visual/UI bug with the exception being the extra weapon slot talent."

So in summary, could be a visual/UI bug where it dissapears on your Character Sheet, but still works behind the scenes. 

However, talents like the Aumaua's Armed to the Teeth that grants the 3rd Weapon slot will disappear for good. 

Removing your companions/adventurers and adding them back in from the party manager interface will fix the issue, but it could crop up again if you replicate the bug. 

There is a way to add talents to your PC through the IE mod, but it'll duplicate the talent/passive and double up on its effects so it's not a proper fix in that method.

I have tried and tested it with the + 10 Fortitude passive and when it disappears i attacked the character with something with a fortitude save and the numbers shown in the rolls of the save were 10 less so it is actually causing the stats to go down  atleast in this case

• Like 1

We do have a fix for this, and I'm trying to make it retroactive, so it will fix any save games that have this problem. 

Thank you!  Please keep us posted!  I know I'm trying to keep on keepin' on despite the problem but, e.g., the moon godlike active not working is a bit of a downer for how I envisioned my cipher build  ;(

The bug is deffinatly not just graphical. I got it on my Wood Elf who's lost both his racial and his Marksman bonus. On his sheet his accuracy is 36, and when looking at my combat log while attacking enemies at max distance it's still only 36 instead of 46. Hopefully it gets fixed soon, 'cause yeah, as a lot of people says, you don't really wanna keep on playing if you're not sure wether you have to start over again later or not, and 10 accuracy is just too huge a bonus to leave behind. Go-go Adam! Smash that bug!! :)

They ARE on this one, as acknowledged by JSawyer on SA (said issue has already been fixed but needs to be thoroughly tested before releasing a patch). Also the fact that I have been seeing many green-highlighted nicknames reading topics on a weekend suggests that they're taking this very seriously.

Lol they charge money to register at SA?  Who the **** is paying that?  I guess they are right, the internet does make you stupid.

O/T: Yes, well I was like you at first but turns out it's actually quite a nice and active forum, much friendlier than the Codex. Plus the fee keeps (most of) the trolls away. 

Anyway, not the worst $10 I've spent in my life. 

Welp - Along with the keep crashes and not being able to loot prisoners taken, I think I'll have to shelf the game for now.

Just too many game breaking bugs and annoyances that needs to be addressed. But hey - BG's still receiving mods. I'm sure I can wait a few weeks in comparison :p

They ARE on this one, as acknowledged by JSawyer on SA (said issue has already been fixed but needs to be thoroughly tested before releasing a patch)

A barely working hotfix would be better than making us wait longer

Just as I wanted to get back into the game in some free time :'(

Edited by Bli1942

A barely working hotfix would be better than screwing up everyones current playthroughs/making us wait longer

Try to put yourself in their shoes: imagine the reaction here if you released a patch that breaks the game entirely somewhere else. They'd become the laughing stock of the internet.

They HAVE to thoroughly test it. And they are, even though it's the *weekend* and they shouldn't have to be working.

Also I know I bug like this is annoying, but it's *just* a game. It's not that important that the devs should put their lives and families on the side because frikkin double-clicking removes abilities...

And it's not like there's plenty of things to do in this game even with missing abilities on your PC. Seriously, try some side-quests, read the dialogues, visit all the maps for just a couple days, the fix will be out in no time.

Edited by Quantics

Yep, a barely working hotfix or a poorly tested hotfix would be disastrous. All of you would be back here complaining, your games would be in a worse shape, and it'd take longer for devs to finish a proper fix. 

It's the weekend, even if Adam is looking at it in his own time he's not going to say "I stayed up all Saturday night and called 5 other people to work, it's ready piping hot guys".

I tested fighting spirit and it doesn't seem affected by this, since it get's triggered.

I'm not that far in the game, so I rolled to earlier saves to see what and if I lost any abilities and I'm currently OK.

I have been losing inventory items here and there and have to occasionally reload, but sometimes I'm too far in the game and the item wasn't that important for me to roll it back.

Does the talent vanish from the character's sheet or does it just stop working ? I'm trying to figure out if I'm victim from this bug too.

EDIT : My Fire-Godlike talent still work anyway. Not sure for the rest of it.

Edited by Vaalac

Bug 100% active on my playthrough with my PC-elfwizard. Sucks really bad for hard encounters with monsters with stats similar to my characters. Missing that +5 accuracy is HUGE when you already have big change of doing only graze damage. My other wizard has the +5bonus and he is doing much better.

This does suck, as I've checked and the only character I've affected with this is !y PC character monk. So I'm screwed until we Get a fix. With that said, I'm only level 4, the rest of my party is okay, so I'm gonna play through it because this game is amazing. Sucks boatloads for people who are a higher level though.

Some (other? dont think I use double click to equip) duplication issues can also be resolved by resetting the character by using the console to change class to the same one. This works with the player characters as well as the companions, however, you must keep track of abilities and sometimes remove or add some it appears (and remove is.. wonky).

It's good to know this so I can avoid the problem at least. This thread should be made sticky for everyone to see.

And while we are at it - please hotfix Rogue's Reckless Assault and other toggable abilities that can't be turned off too, I fear it could lead to bloated save pretty quickly:

7BVwjm5.jpg

Edited by Mich-666