what are you doing with your free time?

drak says silly things.

has never been in doubt that some games announced as sequels has turned out to be products with very little new material.. seem to be just trying to take advantage of guaranteed sales from fans of original game. other sequels has offered much in the way of new material and new content. so the real question is, what kinda sequel is kotor2 gonna be? is it gonna be a glorified expansion, or is it gonna be an honest to goodness sequel.

observing that jedi academy started out as an expansion means what in the present context?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You mean like Arena->Daggerfall->Morrowind?

Or like Star Trek:Elite Forces->Star Trek:Elite Forces II?

I agree, we have seen sequels that intruduced new content, change of engine and still be (well in some cases not entirely) a sequel.

As for observing ... well Academy started as ad on, its simply used the same engine of Outcast as Outcast was diferent (in terms of engine and other things) that shows there was a care and not rush in to follow the sucess of a game.

I am suprised (well not since with Full Trottle and Sam and Max being cancelled) that LucasArts shown such uncaring by their games in terms of development time, as it stands the release time allows a development time of what?

One years and half?

Looks like Academy that was made as a full game to fill LucasArts.

drakron.png

Unless I read wrong, there is going to be more planets, joinable npcs, npc quests, classes, levels, force powers, skills, feats, animations, saber colors, weapon quick slots, etc? Barring that crap, I have no idea what else Obsidian is doing with the game as far as expanding beyond KotOR... <_< I just assume since they don't have to develope the technology the game can be released sooner. Sacrifice potential content for more imminent availability? :blink:

They've got a good team assembled. I can't understand why they couldn't do both.

I agree that not only can they do both, they will do both. Look this is a huge opportunity for Obsidian to really show off to a large RPG loving community what they are capable of. I seriously doubt they're going to drop the ball on this one. And well to be quite frank they really can't afford to drop the ball. I think when all is said and done the majority of us will be satisfied with the final product. I really don't think it does any good to worry about a game this early in it's developmental process. Well that's my two cents anyways. Cheers! :blink:

They've got a good team assembled. I can't understand why they couldn't do both.

I agree that not only can they do both, they will do both. Look this is a huge opportunity for Obsidian to really show off to a large RPG loving community what they are capable of. I seriously doubt they're going to drop the ball on this one. And well to be quite frank they really can't afford to drop the ball. I think when all is said and done the majority of us will be satisfied with the final product. I really don't think it does any good to worry about a game this early in it's developmental process. Well that's my two cents anyways.  Cheers!  :blink:

Actually now is the time to worry. Now when changes can be easily done. Bad time to worry about game is when it's about to be shipped. Then it is too late. By showing Obsidian what we want/expect we help them not to drop the ball. I certainly hope I won't be dissapointed but no company is infallible. Say what you want about Bioware they do try and listen to the fans. More so than any other video game company I've ever seen. Obsidian would do well to copy that.

Unless I read wrong, there is going to be more planets

We have no idea. On the taped interview, it is literally said that (in reference to the sequel compared to the original) "Also the same number of worlds". Some articles have said 7 planets, one has said 5 worlds. Who the hell knows.

joinable npcs

Well, egm said you will have 10 to choose from. You have to assume at least some of those are reused from the first game as well (T3, I'd bet at least one more, hk-47 maybe?). Tho, it is unclear if there is a total of 10 or there is more than 10, but depending if you male/female/ds/LS, you get different ones.

And well to be quite frank they really can't afford to drop the ball. I think when all is said and done the majority of us will be satisfied with the final product.

Which is why what has been said is so surprising. Tho I have a feeling there is an explanation for it or something was mis-said. ::knock on wood::

Hmm... I've read that too, roguefrog. I've never known a sequel that did much more than that.

NPC's and their functionality ... they have their own quests, their own uses, and every time you play through the game you have different NPC's. One example of, as was talked about in another thread, more choice as well.

They'll have more saber colors, which is minor. They'll have more feats; more animations is a biggy. They ARE improving the graphics of the engine, though how much is impossible to know as of yet. They're giving an overhaul of the inventory system. They're adding force powers, and from what I gather that's not just a few force powers, that's a lot of force powers. They'll have new art, new areas - ALL new art and aLL new areas, not just rehashed tilesets. They've made that perfectly clear. It WILL be it's own game, don't worry about it.

STill, it is possible that they'll fail in a lot of these things - as I've found time and time again with my home work, if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. Half Life 2, Valve predicted BEFORE THEY HAD EVEN MADE THE SCRIPTS that their AI was revolutionary. Nothing that these guys have said sounds like that, though. This all sounds reasonable. I guess we do have to realize the sequel might not be very good, but let's put it this way - Either way, whether you think it'll turn out poorly or well, you're accepting that assumption on faith, not hard facts. Maybe it's just me, but all I see people doing here is worrying eachother into a frenzy.

I hope they surprise us big-time with how much actually turns out to be finished at E3.

am rarely frenzied...

anybody not wanna know whether kotor2 will have more content than kotor? anybody not wanna know whether obsidians is willing to release a product that is little more than kotor + epic levels and some prestige classes? anybody here not want to hear from obsidians what their views on the issue is?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

All I want to hear is that it was all a big joke, and that they're really making BG3.

YAY! :blink:

Oh well.. I guess I'll have to play KOTOR 1 now..

Gonna be SW threads here for a year.

If you can't beat them, join them.

All I want to hear is that it was all a big joke, and that they're really making BG3.

YAY! :blink:

BG3? Exactly what more needs to be said about the Bhaalspawn saga?

It's OVER, dammit.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

YAY!    :blink:

BG3? Exactly what more needs to be said about the Bhaalspawn saga?

It's OVER, dammit.

*Hands Ivan the clue phone*

BIS's BG3 had nothing to do with the Baahl Spawn.

Then Herve killed BIS. :angry:

*Hands Ivan the clue phone*

BIS's BG3 had nothing to do with the Baahl Spawn.

Then Herve killed BIS. :angry:

*shrug*

Then it wasn't BG3. It was just a new game slapping on the BG name to get extra sales.

I wish Obsidian would take the time and add more planets, even hidden planets perhaps. In KotOR all the planets that were availible to you, you were forced to visit if you wanted to complete the story. That made it seem like the planets were just "levels" in a linear game. If you have 12 planets to visit and only 6 of them are essential to the story, you get a lot more freedom to just fly around, explore, solve side quests and gather equipment. I usually get the most satisfaction from a game when my thorough exploring pays off and I find that hidden piece of armour or, as in the case of Gothic, that hollow stone in the river! (How many of you can honestly say you found that by yourself?)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This kinda sheds some light on the current situation, in terms of game progress: CGW: " Obsdian's goal is to push hard through June, then spend six months playtesting and balancing the game for a release in Feb 2005"

If Fallout 2 had had the same amount of content as Fallout, after using the exact same engine, character models, even music, people would have been annoyed. Myself included. The same applies here.

There is a huge difference though. Fallout was too short.

KotOR on the other hand I felt was perfect in length. Any longer and it would risk getting tedious.

I for one would actually like it to be similar in length but with higher replay value.

It is the weekend.

Yep. Don't expect any Developer responses until monday....unless one of 'em gets bored and stops by just for the heck of it.

I don't think that KotOR II will go to the point of being pure suckage. Obsidian know what made KotOR 1 a success and are trying to improve the features that weren't entirely funtional, this gives room to a solid and good story (although it's difficult i have to admit, considering the limitations they've put themselves in), intruiging dialogue and voiceacting and quests that are more than simply Fed-ex-missions.

I think that KotOR II will have a bit more darker feel it than KotOR, with some nicer lighting-effects and a story that's interesting enough to keep the player on going.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It is the weekend.

Yep. Don't expect any Developer responses until monday....unless one of 'em gets bored and stops by just for the heck of it.

Look at the ending thread and the date above a certain poster.:)