what happened to voiceovers?

They're not missing. As far as I can tell only the important (parts of) dialogue has voiceovers.

No, it's not like some old games that only had a voiced first line and the rest was mute, it's somewhat random. I suspect some lines were changed or added after voice recordings, they should get full voiceovers too. It's awkward as is now.

Typos? Aliens. Errors? Aliens!

They're not missing. As far as I can tell only the important (parts of) dialogue has voiceovers.

No, it's not like some old games that only had a voiced first line and the rest was mute, it's somewhat random. I suspect some lines were changed or added after voice recordings, they should get full voiceovers too. It's awkward as is now.

I think you'll find it's very much deliberate. It's an extrapolation of that old-school style. It seems that an important character will sometimes have a central spoken dialogue path. However, if you stray from the path (asking tangential questions, for example), often those additional lines will not be voiced. This was a design decision. I quite like it.

If anything, I wish they'd break up the spoken dialogue and flavour text, as it's confusing when a character is speaking a whole page at you but on the text it's punctuated by descriptions.

• Like 2

The Dude abides.

It is very much deliberate. Big parts are in voice, others in writing. I personally love it. It is like playing a game and reading a great novel at the same time.

• Like 1

I was asking myself the same thing actually. I kind of figured that perhaps not all lines were voiced, but I did wonder about the system they used for determining which were important to the plot and which not...

I guess it also did not help that some of them were cut half way thorugh the text (like saying only the last 2 words in a sentence). Did anybody else experience this?

I find it somewhat annoying - Especially when the text clearly gives you a LONG explanation of the scene while the NPC just continues speaking.

Deliberate or not, I'm still partial to the old approach where only critical dialogue was voiced and everything else was just text - No constant "in and out" conversations.