I figured my first character would be something like a Ranger/Archer.  Get a pet and role with it.  However from the LP's I've seen (don't have the game yet) it seems everyone is starting out with some kind of warrior.  So my question:

1) Are bows very effective in this game?

2) Is it possible to just sit back and strike from afar while tanks hold the line?

I also keep reading that any class can use or wear anything.  Honestly that just seems a little strange to me since I've been playing D&D since the early 80's (started in college).  So:

3) Can a mage really just wear heavy armor and use a sword and shield ... and still cast spells?

4) Is there a reason why you wouldn't just put everyone in full plate armor if they can wear it?

Thanks.

You can definitely wear plate armor and cast spell. Still I hadn't figured out most of the statistics behind this system so I suppose that there is a con.

Maybe someone with a little more time to explore the game had already figured it out?

I've read the manual while waiting for the game to release but I didn't found nothing about penalties for wearing armor and casting. Maybe I've missed it?

Just means you will be slower to cast spells. Therefore you want your wizard out of the combat but in light armour, for maximum magic-effectiveness. But if you're going more battlemage, it can be done.

Edited by sim-h

I only played a few hours with a Ranger, a Bear Companion, etc. and it seemed very strong for the first 3 character levels. Much stronger than my trip with a Paladin. I have no idea what this looks like in the later stages of the game, but it seemed sound to me. I sent my Fighter and Bear in to engage combat, and my main hero was never touched.

That's what I wanted to do and it's working beautifully. With 20 dex, swift aim, gunner and Sure-Handed my ranger is shooting fast and hits pretty hard with an arbalest or arquebes. And if you spec an adventurer to be a pure tank they will do their job nicely. So far mine has over 100 deflection.

You'll want to avoid wearing armor on him if you make one though, it'll decrease his rate of fire by quite a bit. Just find some "plain clothes" armor that doesn't effect recovery speed.

Bows work amazingly well. My rogue archer has the highest kill count for some reason.

As for armor, I've just kind of stuck to my old precepts of who wears what. Seems to work pretty well.. (except for cipher or chanter since they are classes I've never dealt with before.) 

I do really wish I could see my characters speed stat.. I know that armor takes off a %.. but of what? Weapons obviously have speed attached as well but to what extent?.. what does "average" speed mean? I don't know, so I just have to guess and hope all works out.

I have most my party using melee, but i have a Priest and an Chanter that I made that are kind of squishy.  I started switching them to ranged in tough fights or when thier health gets low, and I don't want to sleep.  They do quite well, especally the priest who has a crossbow.

I have been thinking in a future run to try a more dedicated ranged class, I'm sure with the right stats and tallents they would do great, especally with a good pet or tank party member to keep enemies busy.  And they would be really good if you have a caster in the back with some other allies keeping your melee characters busy.