Is Rogue Mandatory?

I am still learning how things work in PoE.

I am not too far into the game - just a few hours. I am noticing that I cannot scout items, detect traps, etc. anymore with any of my 3 characters. I know why - nobody specialized in Mechanics. I sort of wanted a Rogue to do it, since I thought it was supposed to be more efficient for a Rogue to do it, but all I have is a Ranger and my 2 NPC's.

Now, I didn't put any points at all into my Ranger's skills - but I can't get to the levelup screen to invest those skill points, despite squating them for 2 levelups. I find myself in the underground temple under the first town, not able to do anything :(

Would having picked a Rogue solved this problem? It seems like picking locks could otherwise get expensive with just lockpicks, and I'm that type of player that can't standard not being able to find every item and pick every lock.

I'd hate to have to start over though - I do like my bow-using Ranger - she seems powerful, and I like the Ranger more than the Paladin which I already tried.

Could my ranger just specialize in Mechanics and would that make sense? How can I get to the levelup screen if I can't see the Plus symbol anymore?

Thanks

I am not too far into the game - just a few hours. I am noticing that I cannot scout items, detect traps, etc. anymore with any of my 3 characters. I know why - nobody specialized in Mechanics. I sort of wanted a Rogue to do it, since I thought it was supposed to be more efficient for a Rogue to do it, but all I have is a Ranger and my 2 NPC's.

Now, I didn't put any points at all into my Ranger's skills - but I can't get to the levelup screen to invest those skill points, despite squating them for 2 levelups. I find myself in the underground temple under the first town, not able to do anything :(

Would having picked a Rogue solved this problem? It seems like picking locks could otherwise get expensive with just lockpicks, and I'm that type of player that can't standard not being able to find every item and pick every lock.

I'd hate to have to start over though - I do like my bow-using Ranger - she seems powerful, and I like the Ranger more than the Paladin which I already tried.

Could my ranger just specialize in Mechanics and would that make sense? How can I get to the levelup screen if I can't see the Plus symbol anymore?

Thanks

Yes your ranger can learn mechanics. However, she can only do it on level up even if she has unspent points.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I rolled a Death Godlike Rogue on Hard and it's ...godlike..hahah. 

But TBH, they aren't necessary. You can very well have your monk be your dedicated trap disabler. No need to go overboard with points into athletics. 

Calibrating...

My Cypher 2 wielding are an exceptional trap scout and decent stealther.

Definitely this separation between classes and skills is one of the best things of this new ruleset.

Edited by crius
  • Like 1

Well, I am now tempted to just reroll... again... just to pick a character that can focus on traps and finding items, mostly because you don't seem to get an npc character to help you do this early. I guess i can always hire one, but if I was going to do that, I should have done it before doing a few other quests - they've missed out on XP now. Sigh.

It's a bummer that I can't spend the points I have squatted... but it seems like I probably would not be able to disarm the hardest traps or pick the hardest locks and stuff like that anyway. So I guess I am off to do the whole rogue/cipher route.

Feels kind of bad though to be pigeon holed like that, unless you pay gold to hire a character.

Edited by katie

Rangers dont start with a mechanics bonus. While rogues start with 2 points, Wizards, Chanters and Ciphers all start with 1 point, and theres also a nice background trait that gives +1 to both lore and mechanics, so you can make these classes strong trappers too.

Also if you have a max INT chanter or wizard for AoE, consider making that character your trapper too because the AoE and duration bonuses will also apply to traps you lay down.

My Ranger is my Mechanics character.

I see no reason to start over just to make someone a dedicated Mechanics character.

I may have to start over anyway, because I didn't pick the mechanics bonus, and who knows how long the next level up will be. A shame. I sort of wish I had a plan before playing, but I really didn't know anything about the game before playing, what npcs you would get, what skills to put points into, or any of that.

Thanks

Yes your ranger can learn mechanics. However, she can only do it on level up even if she has unspent points.

Are unspent poinst usable when you level up next time?

^^ I hope so as Ive been saving points.

The issue is that without mechanics bonuses, you are going to be behind with lockpicking and disarming trap DCs. I found that my Wizard with +2 bonus (+1 base, +1 from background) was comfortably able to handle every trap and lock I encountered, but without those starting bonuses I would be at 3 points instead of 5, and then I wouldnt have had enough for a lot of stuff.

The problem with keeping mechanics maxed on a wizard / chanter or cipher is that you wont be able to stock up on lore or athletics.

It's not that important TBH - I've got virtually no mechanics skill in the party at all.   You'll find an NPC down the road that has some mechanics levels (which can bridge the gap if you intend to add some to yourself). 

However, my tank's deflection is so high that typically he can just walk over all the traps in the game + open trapped things, and they miss him (unless it triggers an AoE).

I've likely missed out on secret stuff since I rarely go into scout mode, but such is life - more surprises for later :D

Don't start over (unless you really want too...)

This exact situation is why you can hire a custom made NPC at ANY inn (and other places too).

Also that temple basement is very tough unless you have the priest with you. Lots of high deflection, high DR shadows dealing freezing damage.

Even on "Normal" I struggled with only 3 member party, on Expert I struggled with 4 people in the party (none of them priests though...)