Is it possible to disable combat music?

Bento

Question

I absolutely love the game and its music. But after a while the combat music really annoys me (just like it did in BG ;)) because it seems so hectic.

Is there any way to disable that music without disabling music altogether?

Aw you're too kind :) thanks!

I don't know others, but I switched to Unity 5 and now i can't use the asset editor, any workaround? except the obvious 2 ones (wait for engine update / get unity 4)

Is it mandatory for OGG files to be at the same 32khz rate or they can be higher?

EDIT: just to specify, they made the files at OGG q10. virtually no difference with the original ^^

Edited by Dark_Ansem
In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Hmmm.  Pretty sure we can't guarantee anything with Unity 5.  You're on your own with that unfortunately.  You're better off staying with 4.

As for oggs, they can be higher sample rate if you want.  We used 32kHz for memory/disk space reasons.

• Like 1

Hmmm.  Pretty sure we can't guarantee anything with Unity 5.  You're on your own with that unfortunately.  You're better off staying with 4.

As for oggs, they can be higher sample rate if you want.  We used 32kHz for memory/disk space reasons.

Unfortunately I expected that... it's a pity. it's a sick update :p especially for assets! Mmm... assets.

As i said in a previous thread i think that Combat "C" suffers by having a strong intro that is not viable for a 5\6 times loop repetition while in combat and can be really annoying cause of that (i'm pretty sure that this was the issue who annoyed the OP, not the track itself which is good to listen.

The way how "Combat D" repeats is  perfect.

Yes, and you can do it in 2 ways i guess

-By having the end connecting perfectly with the beginning (Combat D)

-By having no special intro on track so that you won't notice huge gap on loop (Combat B and E)

There is a third solution but i don't know if it is possible cause you'll have much larger files.

-Make tracks lasts 10 minutes each by creating a good loop by yourself so that you can listen to the intros only once per combat

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

I absolutely love the game and its music. But after a while the combat music really annoys me (just like it did in BG ;)) because it seems so hectic.

Is there any way to disable that music without disabling music altogether?

While a small part of me dies inside by saying this, yes you can get rid of the combat music if you really want to, but I wouldn't delete or rename the files.  Instead, replace them with a silent ogg of equal length that uses the same conversion settings.

If you rename/delete, you WILL have music bugs.

Perfect! I came here looking for this very same thing. I appreciate the option in games to disable specific music triggers (usually for me it's just combat), and especially if there is the option to keep the other music going through the combat (the theme for that region, for example). Most games I just turn off music, partly for this reason. But the music is so good in PoE that I don't want to. I personally prefer calm music during combat, if any at all. 

I will edit the combat music files to be silent so that they are the correct format/duration, etc. But it would be so nice if we could disable the trigger for combat music and just let the other music play through. Really nice work! I sat for an hour during character creation while I combed through all of the literature and made my choices. Many times I remarked to myself about the quality of the music.

Thanks! You know, if you want to try an experiment, you can try to temporarily remove the combat music files from the folder. I have no idea what would happen, but maybe the result will be that the calm music will continue to play?

You can also try just renaming the files if you don't want to remove them, perhaps by putting a dash at the end of the name, or even _DISABLED or something. This would have the same result as removing them.

Thanks! You know, if you want to try an experiment, you can try to temporarily remove the combat music files from the folder. I have no idea what would happen, but maybe the result will be that the calm music will continue to play?

You can also try just renaming the files if you don't want to remove them, perhaps by putting a dash at the end of the name, or even _DISABLED or something. This would have the same result as removing them.

Hey Developer, any news about the questions I asked around one week ago?

The system that's in there is as simple as it gets, so I'm sure it can be expanded.  Guess it depends what you have in mind?

Well, Torment and BG had music files with some sort of loop points, to begin with. Does eternity use the same system? or the loop is simply end-to-beginning, if there is any loop at all?

Secondly, I mean more control over the playlists and locational\specific music (like, the battle with the watcher and\or assigning personalised music to particular areas - this is already done, but I can't understand how). more similar to Japanese RPG, I suppose :p it's a quirk of mine!

No our system doesn't use sync points, and its a simple loop. Music can be scripted using event scripts attached to conversations, game objects, or encounter objects in the scene editor. Technically it is possible to have scripted music just for the old watcher.

I gave this a shot, adding a suffix to the name of each combat music file. At first I wasn't sure if it was working or not, because it seemed that the previous music did continue to play into the combat. But either it ended and then nothing played after it, or the trigger for the combat music was later than I expected. In the end, it seems that the engine simply doesn't start the combat music. I'm not yet sure whether it lets the previous music finish or if it just stops it and then realizes there is no such filename and patiently waits for the next call. 

So at this point, changing the names of the files doesn't seem to break anything. New music does start to play again after combat, and I detected no other glitches. It's just silence during combat. 

Do you think it would work to replace the combat files with some of the other tracks in the music folders? Just copy and rename them to the combat music file names? Or do you think this would cause problems (obvious or not-so-obvious)? You mentioned in an earlier post that it might be important to have the replacement files the same length as the originals, for example. 

If you replace the combat music with something else and you rename it, it'll just play where combat normally would, and would stop when it would normally stop.

For anyone with the courage to delve into the asset bundles (maybe its not in an asset bundle) waht you re looking for is a folder called AreaMusic. In there are files that are basically just lists of music tracks. You can edit them as text files. All you need to do is remove the comabat music text and leave it blank. Not quite sure whats going to happen if you do that, but it's worth a shot.

Guest FlorianGh

Hi FlorianGH, Maybe for future games, but at this point it would be too risky to do for PoE and its expansions. However please feel free to replace the combat music files I described earlier in this thread.

I managed to rename the files named mus combat and it seems the music doesn't change anymore in the game. Can I also remove the chanting sounds?

Edited by FlorianGh

Guest FlorianGh

I have found Kana here steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\audio\vocalization\vo wav files\kana

the annoying chanting is named companion_cv_kana_voice_set_0084.

Too risky? why?

It can add bugs and other problems and game starts to be end of its life cycle so they want to limit resources they put in the game to minimum. So adding any features are on too risky list if there isn't substantial reason to add it. (This is just guess based on how things usually go in software development)

• Like 2

Too risky? why?

It can add bugs and other problems and game starts to be end of its life cycle so they want to limit resources they put in the game to minimum. So adding any features are on too risky list if there isn't substantial reason to add it. (This is just guess based on how things usually go in software development)

Yes exactly.  A seemingly small change can create many problems without realizing it.  I'm sure we're going to continue to support PoE in some form as time goes on, but what that means precisely I don't know.  Big feature changes will probably be very calculated.   

we are fortunate that we have access so easy to those files.

Indeed!  It's very easy to mod yourself.

What is/are the names of the combat music track(s) that White March pt. 2 adds? I've disabled all the other combat tracks easily since they were helpfully named, but  I can't tell with MW 2 naming convention what music is what. I'm assuming px2_mus is the correct folder? Thanks for any help.