Is it possible to disable combat music?

Bento

Question

I absolutely love the game and its music. But after a while the combat music really annoys me (just like it did in BG ;)) because it seems so hectic.

Is there any way to disable that music without disabling music altogether?

There's a music folder in the game directory....you could try looking in there for the mus_combat.ogg files. Do not delete them, just rename them to something else (example: put AA in front of them all, eg AAmus_combat.ogg) and see if that does it/those are it. If it causes any problem, you can just name them back/remove the extra letters you inserted.

Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\audio\mus\mus_final

Please note that while I've done stuff like this in other games, I haven't tried it in this game yet - either it'll work fine (the usual case), it won't work at all, or the game may act weirdly if it thinks the files aren't there. YMMV. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

While a small part of me dies inside by saying this, yes you can get rid of the combat music if you really want to, but I wouldn't delete or rename the files.  Instead, replace them with a silent ogg of equal length that uses the same conversion settings.

If you rename/delete, you WILL have music bugs.

• Like 2

^ Good to know (replacing with silent ogg file), thanks. I know renaming isn't always the best/doesn't always work etc., depending on the game.

...not that I personally want to get rid of them myself. I've been liking it all so far.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

While a small part of me dies inside by saying this, yes you can get rid of the combat music if you really want to, but I wouldn't delete or rename the files.  Instead, replace them with a silent ogg of equal length that uses the same conversion settings.

Justin, thank you for the help.

For what it's worth I think you guys did an amazing job with the audio. It's just the mus_combat_c.ogg music that I have heard way too much of back in the day so I can't stand it anymore. No offense! :)

I know it is a matter of taste, but I 'm in love with the music, including the battle ones. Thank you very much for the quality of the sounds of the game, its awesome and no intrusive at all, at least for me. But as i said before, a matter of preference.
  • Like 1

For what it's worth I think you guys did an amazing job with the audio. It's just the mus_combat_c.ogg music that I have heard way too much of back in the day so I can't stand it anymore. No offense! :)

None taken! Music is a very personal thing to us all, not everyone will have the same tastes. But you bring up a good point. Both combat b and c play way too much in the first release. I rebalanced the music a bit so that d and e play more, so starting with patch 1.03 you will hopefully have less repetition of c.

• Like 2

I know it is a matter of taste, but I 'm in love with the music, including the battle ones. Thank you very much for the quality of the sounds of the game, its awesome and no intrusive at all, at least for me. But as i said before, a matter of preference.

Thank you! Yes quite so. It is a matter of personal prefernce.

I dig it, somehow the combat theme is both congratulatory and damning--depending on how well my fight is going. And the moment of silence after a hard victory is a strange reward in itself, too. 

Don't die inside, Justin, you are wanted for the expansion.  :yes:

All Stop. On Screen.

I dig it, somehow the combat theme is both congratulatory and damning--depending on how well my fight is going. And the moment of silence after a hard victory is a strange reward in itself, too. 

Don't die inside, Justin, you are wanted for the expansion.  :yes:

Ok I'll revive the dead part :)  Just need some camping supplies and...

None taken! Music is a very personal thing to us all, not everyone will have the same tastes. But you bring up a good point. Both combat b and c play way too much in the first release. I rebalanced the music a bit so that d and e play more, so starting with patch 1.03 you will hopefully have less repetition of c.

Wow, thank you so much! You guys are awesome!!

There's a music folder in the game directory....you could try looking in there for the mus_combat.ogg files. Do not delete them, just rename them to something else (example: put AA in front of them all, eg AAmus_combat.ogg) and see if that does it/those are it. If it causes any problem, you can just name them back/remove the extra letters you inserted.

Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\audio\mus\mus_final

Please note that while I've done stuff like this in other games, I haven't tried it in this game yet - either it'll work fine (the usual case), it won't work at all, or the game may act weirdly if it thinks the files aren't there. YMMV. :)

Thanks for this :)  While I love the music overall, it's beautiful and sets the mood perfectly, I oftentimes turn down specifically combat music in most games because I find it hectic :blush:

I edited the combat music .ogg files as suggested, and turned down the db so I can still hear it, at about 50% volume of the rest of the music, works like a charm. Again thanks for helping, and to Justin Bell and everyone else who gave us this music, I love your work, I especially like the prologue music and the music in the Gilded Vale :wub:

• Like 1

I love this game :sorcerer:

@Bento

I used Audacity for editing the volume of combat music, here's a link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Import the mus_combat .ogg file and turn down the volume by 3 db (or whichever you prefer) as shown on the picture below, then export the file as an Ogg Vorbis without changing any settings. Repeat with all seven combat music files and it should work. Knock on wood, my Pillars of Eternity runs fine so far, that is combat music is lower, like 50% I think, and all other music is still at original level :)

Remember to backup the original music in case you want to revert the changes.

13NvCRu.jpg

Edited by Hexo
  • Like 2

Justin, I was critical about the first samples you produced for the game, but I will say it fair and square: you did a fantastic job with the music (exploration, battle, ambiant music is stellar). The battle music is so much like in Baldur's Gate, but it is different  at the same time.

Edited by Zack Fair
  • Like 1

J_C from Codexia

Justin, I was critical about the first samples you produced for the game, but I will say it fair and square: you did a fantastic job with the music (exploration, battle, ambiant music is stellar). The battle music is so much like in Baldur's Gate, but it is different  at the same time.

Means a lot to hear you say that, thank you for being so frank about this!

• Like 1

I love this game :sorcerer:

@Bento

I used Audacity for editing the volume of combat music, here's a link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Import the mus_combat .ogg file and turn down the volume by 3 db (or whichever you prefer) as shown on the picture below, then export the file as an Ogg Vorbis without changing any settings. Repeat with all seven combat music files and it should work. Knock on wood, my Pillars of Eternity runs fine so far, that is combat music is lower, like 50% I think, and all other music is still at original level :)

Remember to backup the original music in case you want to revert the changes.

13NvCRu.jpg

As long as you only replace .oggs and you don't delete them its fine.  The folder and file structure, and the names, all have to remain intact or you will create problems with the music system.

• Like 1

Thank you Justin for the music! Even my girlfriend comments every once in a while how good the music is even though she rarely comments my gaming hobby! :D And regarding the comabt music, I think it is fine even though that one track I've heard before :biggrin:

• Like 1

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Thank you Justin for the music! Even my girlfriend comments every once in a while how good the music is even though she rarely comments my gaming hobby! :D And regarding the comabt music, I think it is fine even though that one track I've heard before :biggrin:

Thank you for sharing that story! It means a lot.

• Like 1

I love the music! However, for the main menu music, I want something with greater tempo. Is there anyway to replace the main menu music? I tried using the methods described in this thread but they don't work, replacing mus_global_title_theme.ogg in PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\audio\mus\mus_final yields no change. Any ideas? I've tried the override too but that didn't work.

I wonder how much is it possible to expand on this system.

does it use any kind of loop? if so, which one?

the game files could be much more easily accessed with U5, somehow.

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

The system that's in there is as simple as it gets, so I'm sure it can be expanded.  Guess it depends what you have in mind? 

Well, Torment and BG had music files with some sort of loop points, to begin with. Does eternity use the same system? or the loop is simply end-to-beginning, if there is any loop at all?

Secondly, I mean more control over the playlists and locational\specific music (like, the battle with the watcher and\or assigning personalised music to particular areas - this is already done, but I can't understand how). more similar to Japanese RPG, I suppose :p it's a quirk of mine!

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Right I understand now.  We don't use loop points no, just end to beginning.   You can assign combat music per scene, which is very easy to do.  Doing it per encounter is a bit trickier, though still easy.

I'm pretty sure I can just tell you which files to edit, but I need to ask Adam first how we're going to handle mod requests like this.  Stay tuned, I'll get back to you in a few days.

• Like 1