Major Plot Progression Bug - Act 2 - The Duc Invitation

eRe4s3r

Question

I have encountered a major plot progression issue regarding getting an invitation for the DUC from the Knights of the Crucible. I have a save before that and 1 showing it, but you only need the one showing it I think ;) Where as far as I can see, there is no way to complete this quest and thus progress the main plot in this save state. (But if you find a work-around, please tell me.. though I will simply throw this save away and reload)

This can happen when you have these 2 quests active (with exactly these states) at the same time...

Winds of Steel - Research Given to Courier, Courier dead during fight - Quest not reported to Commander Clyver

EbsstBkl.jpg

Invitation Quest -> Only "good standing" with crucible knights -> But Dialog with Clyver loops infinitely and the dialog choices are not going to next quest step because his "directive" (Winds of Steel) is not completed

37m9cYgl.jpg

Save (Standing right in front of him with the infinite looping and very very weird dialog a click away)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t84jjmhpo7v6jha/e6f43dbc06824c1c981e0bc38ad015b9_13516728_CrucibleKeep.zip

Also worth noting, before I went to the crucible knights, but after getting the invitation quest, there was 1 hostile Metal Knight Automata and 3 dead bodies in front of the keep. With nobody even acknowledging this after battle. So yeah...

I have a save around 15 minutes before getting the invitation quest thankfully so I am not entirely stuck, but someone else might not be so lucky.

So I hope this is the right way to report this kind of bug.

• Like 1

I am having a similar, or perhaps the same problem. As far as I can tell, there are no more quests that I can complete except for the Endless Paths (as far as I can tell, every other outstanding quest of any kind relates to areas of the map that I cannot access yet). My hope has been that completing the "broken weapon" related quest in the Endless Paths, and bringing all the paths back to the Knights' smithy, will finally make the Knights like me so that I can get an invitation to the Duc's meeting. I don't think that I ever received access to some of the Knights or Dozens-related quests that people have mentioned here. I cleared out the ghoul-filled area of the city for the Knights and got the research notes for their smithy. At that point the Knight commander was already saying that I was too close to the Dozens, despite my never having completed any quests for the Dozens. So without any other way to proceed, I went ahead and did the ancient-weapons-in-the-under-the-lake-temple quest for the Dozens, but that didn't lead to anything happening on the Dozens' side of things either. They don't offer any other quests when you go back to them with the bits of the ancient weapon. I'm 60+ hours in, my party are approaching level 11, and I sorta feel like I've been stuck and left the plot behind. On level 12 of the Endless Paths now, it's the only area in quite a while that's offered any challenge in combat to my party. I haven't had to bother with tactics for a while, even playing on hard difficulty...

Can we get an expedited fix on this? A date? Anything? My last save before seeing where I can prevent this bug was at 16 hrs played, my current save where I'm trying to advance is at 26hrs played! That's 10 HOURS of playing I'd have to do all over? With the same characters, no surprises, knowing everything? No way do I have ANY desire to do that with the same party and I sure as heck don't want to start over. I invested so much time with this group.

McClure, accepting the quest sufficed to cause the problem. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we've fixed it for an upcoming patch.

Until that arrives, the workaround entails turning each faction hostile before speaking with Webb or loading a save game made before having both Winds of Steel and Bronze Beneath the Lake at once. I know that's probably of little consolation, folks, but I wanted to share just in case it helps someone in the meantime.

Jorge

My game updated and I went to check with Clyver. Still gives me the "your relationship with the Dozens" speech and shoos me away.

Edited by McClure
  • Like 1

Same issue here (with the update). Got blocked when taken the two quest (from douzains and from the Crucible Knights, completed only the on from the knights). Clyver/Webb wont get me for the reunion, and i cant cancel my reputation with the douzains without killing them (actually playing a good paladin).

Although i kill all the people in the douzains center, clyver dont give me the sentence to go with him.

I don't have solution atm :/ and i wont kill kill people to go with webb.

Any advice ?

McClure and Sylkk, the 1.03 patch fixes being able to have both quests at once. However, the fix that resolves the problem retroactively (for save games where the quests were already accepted) is slated for 1.04 patch (it required extra testing, as it entailed reorganizing some dialogues' structures and that's something we rather handle with extra care).

In the meantime, if you've made either the Dozens or the Knights hostile then Webb will give you the invitation. There's no need to anger all factions for this to happen - as long as you have one of the factions' main quests (the second one they give you) then having made said faction hostile will work for now.

In your cases, since you've got the quests for both the Dozens and Knights, angering any of them will make Webb support you in the hearings.

Still, this is not the ideal situation until the retroactive fix is tested thoroughly but I hope that can get you going without much RPing sacrifice.

Jorge

[... I went ahead and did the ancient-weapons-in-the-under-the-lake-temple quest for the Dozens, but that didn't lead to anything happening on the Dozens' side of things either. They don't offer any other quests when you go back to them with the bits of the ancient weapon...]

If you've completed Bronze Beneath the Lake, and spoken with Lady Webb in Hadret's House (Brackenbury) then you should have a quest to gain an invitation from the factions (check with Lady Webb about this, in case of doubt). If so, the Dozens will give you their support since you've helped them resolve Bronze Beneath the Lake (you can ask them about it if Webb has told you that you need support to attend the hearings at the Ducal Palace).

The quests in Od Nua are not a requisite for this.

I hope that gives some direction and that it works for you.

Jorge

Hmm. Just made a big post about this as it seemed misleading to post that the bug was fixed. I see now that it was only the act of obtaining the bug that had been fixed. At least it's realized that the bug is still in effect and we still can't play the game any farther.

McClure and Sylkk, the 1.03 patch fixes being able to have both quests at once. However, the fix that resolves the problem retroactively (for save games where the quests were already accepted) is slated for 1.04 patch (it required extra testing, as it entailed reorganizing some dialogues' structures and that's something we rather handle with extra care).

In the meantime, if you've made either the Dozens or the Knights hostile then Webb will give you the invitation. There's no need to anger all factions for this to happen - as long as you have one of the factions' main quests (the second one they give you) then having made said faction hostile will work for now.

In your cases, since you've got the quests for both the Dozens and Knights, angering any of them will make Webb support you in the hearings.

Still, this is not the ideal situation until the retroactive fix is tested thoroughly but I hope that can get you going without much RPing sacrifice.

Jorge

Thanks for the update, but I'll wait until I can side properly with the Knights :)

Just making sure: I hope that after 1.04 COMPLETING the second quest of a faction will cause siding with it, and not just ACCEPTING it. I also kinda hoped that we'll be able to steal the weapons from Bronze and give it to the Knights, but I'm just being a bit greedy here :p

Edited by McClure

Just making sure: I hope that after 1.04 COMPLETING the second quest of a faction will cause siding with it, and not just ACCEPTING it. I also kinda hoped that we'll be able to steal the weapons from Bronze and give it to the Knights, but I'm just being a bit greedy here :p

This quest is just badly written. I mean, Knights patrolling the lake attack you on sight? wtf?! Who even does that? They don't know you, there is no crime to be around those ruins. They should throw some kind of warning your way, send you back to their stronghold or whatever.

Gladly, so far, it is the only quest with troubles.

• Like 3

I'm hero for knights, friend for Dozens and scroundel for Doemenel. And I don't have a single option to go to hearing from anyone. Patch didn't change a thing. 3 days of waiting for nothing. Thank you for screwing up my game, Obsidian.

I'd really like it too if you only got locked into supporting a faction after completing their quest, rather than simply accepting it; events in the game made me change my mind about who I wanted to work with, but now I am stuck.

Also it would be nice if you could just tell Lady Webb outright that you want nothing to do with any of those groups of crazy people rather than having to murder them before she'll sponsor you.

• Like 1

[... I went ahead and did the ancient-weapons-in-the-under-the-lake-temple quest for the Dozens, but that didn't lead to anything happening on the Dozens' side of things either. They don't offer any other quests when you go back to them with the bits of the ancient weapon...]

If you've completed Bronze Beneath the Lake, and spoken with Lady Webb in Hadret's House (Brackenbury) then you should have a quest to gain an invitation from the factions (check with Lady Webb about this, in case of doubt). If so, the Dozens will give you their support since you've helped them resolve Bronze Beneath the Lake (you can ask them about it if Webb has told you that you need support to attend the hearings at the Ducal Palace).

I did the Bronze quest(since it looked like an interesting one), but I lied to the Dozen about not knowing how the weapons work, essentially thwarting them. I actually wanted to give the weapons to the knights instead, but there wasn't any such option. I don't have an invitation quest yet (presumably because I have only investigated 2 out of 3 visions), but the knights refuse to allow me to proceed with their quest line, so it looks like eventually I'll face the same problem (and I really don't want to help the Dozens). Will 1.04 address this? (and if so, when? like a super-rough estimate?)

Jorge

Hey there, same problem as everyone else in this topic (did both of the Knights and Dozens quests and now I cant get an invitation from neither Lady Webb nor one of the factions).

I was waiting for 1.03 to fix the problem but it didnt. Now I did the beta patch 1.04 on steam but I still cant get an ivitation. So what is the deal here?

I'd like to confirm that we've already put a fix for this, which will also work retroactively for those folks that got Winds of Steel and Bronze Beneath the Lake (or Changing of the Guard) in their saves.

The solution is getting tested and scheduled to appear in the next patch.

Thank you for your patience, folks - I know this issue in particular has been significant.

Btw, I take the chance to remind you that you can always have Lady Webb give you an invite if you've angered one of the factions from which you acquired a second quest (Winds of Steel, Bronze Beneath the Lake and Changing of the Guard - e.g. attacking one member of the Dozens if you've got Bronze Beneath the Lake will make Webb give you the invite).

Jorge

We found that it was still possible to hit a particular dialogue path with Clyver that would let you pick up Winds of Steel even if you had Bronze Beneath the Lake or Changing of the Guard active/completed.

In order for this to happen, you'd have to first ask Clyver about a second job (after finishing Built to Last), then decline to take it and get, instead, the second quest from either the Dozens or the Doemenels. After that, asking Clyver about the animancy hearing invite can bypass the checks against the other quests being already active in the journal.

tl;dr version: Yes, it's possible in 1.04, but it requires a rather unusual set of actions for the issue to occur.

Jorge

• Like 1

We found that it was still possible to hit a particular dialogue path with Clyver that would let you pick up Winds of Steel even if you had Bronze Beneath the Lake or Changing of the Guard active/completed.

In order for this to happen, you'd have to first ask Clyver about a second job (after finishing Built to Last), then decline to take it and get, instead, the second quest from either the Dozens or the Doemenels. After that, asking Clyver about the animancy hearing invite can bypass the checks against the other quests being already active in the journal.

tl;dr version: Yes, it's possible in 1.04, but it requires a rather unusual set of actions for the issue to occur.

Jorge

This seems to focus on The Knights/Dozens conflict but it doesn't seem to help me with the Doermel's. I even went to kill the Dozens leaders to drop the quest and the father still won't give me his follow up quest. I can get the quest from Lady Webb but that's not how I want this storyline to go. I can continue to do other quests while a fix is being implemented at least so it's not a huge heartbreak for me yet.

With the retroactive fix included in the upcoming patch, all three faction leaders will invite you to the hearing provided that you've completed their second quest - even if you have another faction's second quest in the journal (so, in the Doemenel's case, completing the Changing of the Guard will have them get you in the hearing).

This assumes there's at least one of those second quests completed.

The leaders will only give you these quests if you've not accepted a second quest from one of the other factions - that's intended, even if you murder a bunch of people of that faction, because the factions want to know that you're working to further their interests (a character that helps their enemies first and then slaughters them will not cause a faction to be forthcoming with its trust).

Jorge

The leaders will only give you these quests if you've not accepted a second quest from one of the other factions - that's intended, even if you murder a bunch of people of that faction, because the factions want to know that you're working to further their interests (a character that helps their enemies first and then slaughters them will not cause a faction to be forthcoming with its trust).

Jorge

So If I accepted first quest from the Dozens and Knights and then accepted second quest from Dozens (before Winds of Steel quest) then there is no way for me to get second quest from Knigts and therefore invitation for hearing (even after patch) ?