Stealth mechanics, maybe better per individual?

Apart from the practical and tactical reasons, there's also the roleplaying one, even though I am not a roleplayer myself. I mean, why would some characters even sneak when it doesn't go with their personality, class, armor.. it doesn't make any sense.

Scouting - Paying careful attention to their surroundings. Also class, personality and gear is irrelevant. When a situation calls for a stealthy approach you do what your leader tells you to do.

Apart from the practical and tactical reasons, there's also the roleplaying one, even though I am not a roleplayer myself. I mean, why would some characters even sneak when it doesn't go with their personality, class, armor.. it doesn't make any sense.

Also class, personality and gear is irrelevant. 

Nope. Have you even played IE games before? Thanks for the non-related dictionary entry by the way.

tsgUO.gif

Have you?

In IE games you could literally stealth in plain sight (horribly broken design) outside of combat at a chance - A CHANCE.  Once discovered you got no more sneak attacks. In this game stealth is about flanking people, not magically going POOF I AM HERE in plain sight next to an enemy after your "stealther" has crossed an open room.

One time stealth - or as many flanks as you can get away with? I'll pick the latter as per Pillars and P&P D&D. (Also I am not sure where the hell you get dictionary from - Sneaking isn't about your class, personality or gear. It's about trying to get past something without being spotted. Pretty basic really...)

I don't really care either way - It would only be a cosmetic change in practice.

And that's a pretty dead giveaway that you don't normally play stealth characters (nothing wrong with that...if you have fun wagging fingers or bashing skulls, fun trumps any specific style of getting there)

Stealth is seriously important to rogues both in mechanics and role-playing.  Part of what makes a rogue a rogue is the willingness to do whatever to get what they want without caring about 'rules' or 'laws' or 'honor' or any of that nonsense.  

Mechanics wise, so much of how rogues were designed requires them to be able to fight positionally, not be engaged directly, etc.  That means that not being able to stay sneaky at the start of a fight is a major impediment to how they need to be used in order to get the most out of them.  

One thing I do agree on is that stealth does not mean invisible.  I like that my very high stealth rogue can't just walk up to people while scouting and not get noticed.  But it drives me batty that I can't sneak past people who are distracted by other things as well.

• Like 1

Have you?

In IE games you could literally stealth in plain sight (horribly broken design) outside of combat at a chance - A CHANCE.  Once discovered you got no more sneak attacks. In this game stealth is about flanking people, not magically going POOF I AM HERE in plain sight next to an enemy after your "stealther" has crossed an open room.

One time stealth - or as many flanks as you can get away with? I'll pick the latter as per Pillars and P&P D&D. (Also I am not sure where the hell you get dictionary from - Sneaking isn't about your class, personality or gear. It's about trying to get past something without being spotted. Pretty basic really...)

If you did you'd know companions' personalities tend to clash with the leaders and thus were quite relevant. You also don't consider it as a roleplaying aspect which I also outlined. Also, If you bothered to play some stealth characters in PoE you'd know you can poof in and out of combat magically. Just not with the actual stealth skill. Might consider playing the game before asserting the mechanics in question.

Sneaking, or scouting? What are you talking about here? No matter the case.. open up that thesaurus and be sure to let us know what Sneaking actually entails since we already have the definition for scouting (for some reason).

tsgUO.gif

Stealth into an area with rogue, set trap, fire on enemy, run back to group which is waiting around corner..   Works well for me. For good backstab during combat take the Shadowing Beyond talent which lets you turn invisible.

Stealth into an area with rogue, set trap, fire on enemy, run back to group which is waiting around corner..   Works well for me. For good backstab during combat take the Shadowing Beyond talent which lets you turn invisible.

Oh, if you just want to game the game, sure.  But why do we have to go to lengths like that just to be a rogue?

Also, only being able to turn invis twice between rests is a whip. First, we shouldn't be turning truly invisible without some kind of magic.  Second, twice per rest is weaksauce since you can burn that in a single encounter with a large number of enemies.

p.s.  Trying to initiate all fights with your rogue will get your rogue one shot eventually.  Trust me.  It's coming.

Yea.. you don't need stealth to get to the edge of an enemy vision and shoot them. You can do it with anyone.

Want to use that rogue to actually backstab a caster in the back of the fight? Too bad. First, you're not getting to get there even if you open up with the rogue, because you can only stealth past trash monsters. You also can't go past them once combat begins because guess what, if your fighter has declared his intention to fight, your rogue has to do it as well or the cosmos will implode onto itself.

Shadowing Beyond doesn't stop incoming projectiles, so it is highly impractical because you typically use it to avoid aggro, and if you try to be cheeky and initiate fight from stealth then use this you're gonna drop dead 9/10 times.

Edited by Infiltrator_SF
tsgUO.gif

I also made a rogue as my character and felt cheated after taking backstab talent only too see how useless it is with current stealth system.

I stopped playing at the moment because of it.

I would like to see somebody from Obsidian explains exactly where is the fix for this on their priority list.

I hope that it is not scheduled for the expansion because I do not want to wait for another couple of months to play...