Quick saving and loading times increased greatly after 20~ hours

Gringos

Question

Hi everyone!

After 20~ hours in Pillars, the game began to slow down considerably in loading times.

I'm 30 hours in right now and the issue persists after computer restart.

I like to save often. When I saved in early hours of the game it took about a second - now it's up to 6 seconds per save.

Loading screens take about 10 seconds+ now. Going through 4 loading screens of purely waiting to advance a quest became the most annoying thing.

Does anyone have a clue how I can get the load times back down again?

My specs:

Windows 7

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX960

16GB RAM

Edit: Here's my latest quicksave

Since the upload cap is 1mb here, had to host somewhere else

Edited by Gringos
  • Like 2

I'm sure everyone knows by now but all issues have been resolved.  I have no long saving/loading times anymore.  This game is awesome!  120 + hours and counting and still haven't finished the game!   :)

Same for me. I'm on 1.05.0567 version and still have loading times btw 40 and 60sec and saving times btw 10 and 15sec. I use only 2 save files (quick and auto), have 35 hours of play time. It became barely playable.

Well what are you waiting for? Post your save files so the devs can fix this!

• Like 1

Sir yes sir!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B5A187BB7E84FB4D!1298&authkey=!ABeleGWSlozl-Vs&ithint=file%2c7z

I'm sure everyone knows by now but all issues have been resolved.  I have no long saving/loading times anymore.  This game is awesome!  120 + hours and counting and still haven't finished the game!   :)

Same for me. I'm on 1.05.0567 version and still have loading times btw 40 and 60sec and saving times btw 10 and 15sec. I use only 2 save files (quick and auto), have 35 hours of play time. It became barely playable.

Well what are you waiting for? Post your save files so the devs can fix this!

Sir yes sir!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B5A187BB7E84FB4D!1298&authkey=!ABeleGWSlozl-Vs&ithint=file%2c7z

• Like 2

I really hope this gets fixed soon.  I can't even play the game anymore.  It's too frustrating.  This, after putting 20+ hours.... ;(

I agree ... are they even addressing it anywhere online that they know it's a problem? I am about 30 hours in and don't even want to play it anymore. It's 20-40 seconds per area i load into. and 10-20 seconds to quicksave ..... So just to rest at the useless stronghold it's getting and getting out at about 4 minutes. It was pretty good at first. This is unplayable. Become so boring that i facebook between area loads.

I heard the Unity engine is to blame, therefore not much to be done in regards to loading/saves improvements unfortunately...  Wasteland 2 uses the same engine and I remember having incredibly long loading/saving times...

Increasingly long save-times are still what keeps me from playing the game. I know there may be other issues of higher priority- and limited resources for the ongoing support process- but if optimizations in this department are still on the table, and if there's anything we (the players) can provide in terms of save-games or detailed reporting of behavior, then do let us know. :)

Thanks!

Hey everyone, thank you for keeping us informed about the progression of this issue. We're glad to hear that a lot of you are seeing improvements, but we're also taking note that there are still some instances of long times while saving or loading. We'll do some more investigating to see if there are further optimizations we can find, but in the mean time make sure to try to keep your amount of save files to a reasonable number. Keeping your computer clean of dust and keeping the fans clear for air circulation can also improve efficiency while playing the game and lead to more reasonable saving/loading times. Thanks again for the help, everyone. Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

I'm also still having the same issue with load screens taking longer and longer and longer.  I just started Act 3 and the game has gotten a bit tough to play.  The cities, and especially any multi-level buildings have gotten especially challenging.

It almost feels as if the issue is related to the autosave feature since the saves are growing larger and larger.  I, however, could not find a way to disable autosave ingame.  Maybe adding a disable feature for autosave could be a quick hacky fix for the devs until a better solution could be found?

I'm running this on Ubuntu Linux, and here's my save in case it helps:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/steppenfox_public/3d8e4f34-db81-4606-9a13-713fab78fd88+autosave.savegame

• Like 1

I'm on OSX running 1.0.6.619 -steam, and I am also experiencing this. I'm going to thin out my save games (got bit by cloud restoring them after I manually deleted them from finder) and then time the load/saves. I'm currently in Blood Sands in Act III with all companions, 2 hired adventurers. If I get more info, I'll post saves.

Ah. My chanter's (I have 2 of them) summoned skeletons are maybe being dragged around? If I grep the unzipped blood sands file's strings for cre_skeleton_chanter_summon, there are 624 copies of the string in just the blood sands save alone. Are these from the "If Their Bones Still Slept" chanter rime? I don't have Kana in my party currently (although I used him throughout Act I and Act II).

Here's a copy of just the one blood sands save

Edited by epu

Just piping in with my two cents: I love PoE and really want to play it, but like many others in this thread, I'm at the point where I might just stop playing because of the load times. Mine are nowhere near as bad as some of the people I read about here, but they're still long enough to frustrate me when they occur as often as they do. 10-15 seconds for entering or exiting a house is not satisfactory.

I have only 3 saves: An autosave, a quicksave, and one for when I reach some sort of milestone and I want to do a kind of Master Save. The saves are not bloated, less than 2 megs each. Poked around and found that the MobileObjects thing is just about 2 megs as well, if that's any help. Haven't played for very long either, like 10 hours - just now poking around in Defiance Bay for the first time and checking out the zones.

• Like 1

I tried loading your save (pure from the menu, without an autosave in-between) and for me it takes 46 seconds to merely LOAD and over 30seconds to quicksave in that, wow. I would consider that unplayable. For fun I tried moving to Hearthsong with your save and it took nearly 65 seconds to load. Yes that is longer than 1 minute.

I dunno how you can even play with that. I am complaining about 20 seconds ^^ Your save has well over a minute load time from caed nur to Hearthsong for me. I also notice you have 2 people more than I do. Could that be related?

Ps.: At least it is quite funny that we play the same class and even the same paladin "category"  ;) Except your avatar is way way prettier...

Pps.: Your MobileObjectsSave in your savefile is over 46mb !

PPps.: Deleting MobileObjects in the save file breaks the savegame ;p But it loads a good 35 seconds faster (under 10 seconds) sadly into a black void ;p

I snagged the Pillars guidebook off of Amazon, and I've been doing a lot of reading between loading screens  :rolleyes:

I may actually put further progress on hold until I can get some kind of fix.  If I knew anything about coding, I'd take a crack at modding the game files to turn off autosaving myself.

And woo, go team Truthadin!  Actually... wait, what if that's the common link?   :blink:

IEMod turns off auto saving in the IE mod options, google it, eternity IE mod.

Still unplayable with version 1.0.6.0617 even with IEMod and auto saving turned off and with only one save stored in the saved games folder.

Game loads take more than 65 seconds and saving around 12.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B5A187BB7E84FB4D!1304&authkey=!AARwzEZ5QtXQ8_0&ithint=file%2csavegame

It is a pity knowing the quality of the game... I am hoping this will be resolved with version 2.0.

Edited by Ozrick

I wanted to add my objective and subjective experience on a mid-2011 macbook air. Saving games in Noonfrost (which I hadn't been timing before) feels very fast in 2.0.1 steam build, compared to the 1.0.6 steam builds. Loading files from Act III (Blood Sands and Noonfrost) takes about the same average time (23 seconds and 29 seconds respectively). The load game menu continues to take about 1 minute to load with the number of saves I have (253 saves).

I'm not sure if the load optimizations don't apply under OSX, or if my machine is so old that the performance bottleneck is somewhere else.

every time I boot the game I have to close it at least once because it apphangs trying to load.

While watching my CPU/Ram and system resources there is many points during loading that there is just no activity whatsoever

After about one or 2 failed loads of a save game it seems to be ok.

I have to alt tab during loading a save game to bump my cpu priority up.

the entire process does not seem on my system to do with lengthy processing but instead it is not doing anything at different intervals.

Usually apphangB1s occur 2 times when I load a save game and it is going to load properly.

If it hangs more than twice this is when i force shut the program and reboot it.

This is a very confusing problem.

No, it hasn't. 

I posted about this a week ago here.

Got no official response. 

I love this game and I made a point out of (pre)purchasing it and all the expansions because I want to support game-development of this genre/quality. 

However, I just can't bring myself to start playing part II, main-game + expansion 1 already surpassed my frustration tolerance with these load times.

Can someone official give some communication on this? 

A beautiful game - but I won't play on - The loading times are unbearable for me now (more than half a minute for entering a house).

This problem seems to be there for a long time and nobody is fixing this?

I played through all the classics BGI/BGII, Fallout 1/2 etc. - That's why I bought this game as well.

This is very disappointing - You don't like your customers [Perception 1]?