Quick saving and loading times increased greatly after 20~ hours

Gringos

Question

Hi everyone!

After 20~ hours in Pillars, the game began to slow down considerably in loading times.

I'm 30 hours in right now and the issue persists after computer restart.

I like to save often. When I saved in early hours of the game it took about a second - now it's up to 6 seconds per save.

Loading screens take about 10 seconds+ now. Going through 4 loading screens of purely waiting to advance a quest became the most annoying thing.

Does anyone have a clue how I can get the load times back down again?

My specs:

Windows 7

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX960

16GB RAM

Edit: Here's my latest quicksave

Since the upload cap is 1mb here, had to host somewhere else

Edited by Gringos
  • Like 2

Are these long load times still occurring after the most recent patch update?

Before: Load game initially, ~90s.  Quickload in game, ~45s.  Transition areas, ~30s.

After, and maybe 10 hours later in-game: No long wait to continue/load from the main menu!  Load initially, ~90s.  Quickload in game, ~35s.  Transition areas, ~30s.

Well, the patch fixed my long wait to start, at least.

eta: I went back and tried loading up saves I made post-patch instead; Initial load, 60s, quickload 15s, so yep, that is most definitely improved :)

Edited by sparklecat
  • Like 1

DiabloStorm, post your savegame please. That way the devs can see what's causing the long load.

Okay, I've actually had to stop playing/streaming on account of the game becoming completely intolerable/unplayable.

Here is my save: https://mega.co.nz/#!R9YFgLRC If a dev actually intends to look at it, message me and I'll provide the key.

Also, here's an inside look as to what kind of loading screens I'm dealing with here: http://www.twitch.tv/diablostorm/c/6552975

Yeah...not a good look, Obsidian. Also, a warning since I'm in rage mode on there due to the nondescript spells combined with the obscenely long loading times.

Something else of interest, the game was taking up like 2 and a half GBs of memory when it refused to load AT ALL, is that normal?

Awesome. That's good to hear that the latest patch improved the times for some people. However, with those times still being a bit lengthy, we'll continue to look for optimizations.

sparklecat, because you already gave the times it takes to load and transition after the improvements, could you also supply us with your most recent save file, the number of how many save files you have, and your computer's system specs? It would really help us find where further improvements can be made. Keep up the great work, everyone!

edit: DiabloStorm, if you could PM me the key for that save then we can use that as well. It would also help us if you could let us know how many saves you have total and what your system specs are. Thank you again for your help.

• Like 2

Awesome. That's good to hear that the latest patch improved the times for some people. However, with those times still being a bit lengthy, we'll continue to look for optimizations.

sparklecat, because you already gave the times it takes to load and transition after the improvements, could you also supply us with your most recent save file, the number of how many save files you have, and your computer's system specs? It would really help us find where further improvements can be made. Keep up the great work, everyone!

edit: DiabloStorm, if you could PM me the key for that save then we can use that as well. It would also help us if you could let us know how many saves you have total and what your system specs are. Thank you again for your help.

Sure.  86 saves, here's my DxDiag file and a new save I made (I've finished, so just let me know if you want one prior to the point of no return).  Core i3-370M 2.4GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 425M graphics card.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw56i-bKiIvXc2JrcmladEZUWGc/view?usp=sharing

I have written in former pages about permanently deleting from the game world sold trash items (weapons,hats,armor,cloacks) without quality or enchantments.

it will be both optimising and merchant windows wont look like an abomination.

There was an improvement in my case after 1.04, but it wasn't a big one. MobileObjects.save went from 10mb to 7.7mb, while the rest stayed the same.

In quick search new one still contained some 1700 summon instances and 900 trap instances, so there's not much of an improvement left in that area.

There was an improvement in my case after 1.04, but it wasn't a big one. MobileObjects.save went from 10mb to 7.7mb, while the rest stayed the same.

In quick search new one still contained some 1700 summon instances and 900 trap instances, so there's not much of an improvement left in that area.

I'm actually noticing a huge improvement (At least at first, we'll see what happens as I continue playing)

1.03:

Initial load time by hitting "Continue" upon first starting the game: 2:20 (12 saves in folder)

Reload time by pressing quickload: 1:24 (12 saves in folder)

1.04:

Initial load time by hitting "Continue" upon first starting the game: 1:31 (12 saves in folder)

Reload time by pressing quickload: 11s (12 saves in folder)

Same quicksave used for both cases, Great job Obsidian, you're swift with the patches, it's impressive. (Now I just wish your spell descriptions were a bit more in depth ;))

Still long load time for me in Cilaban Rilag cave.

Same Issue here

5 min to load my savegames ...

15 sec for a quick! save

the game is not playable now

Act 3

With the new patch it look like the loading time has increase

Wow,

the baddest ce i ever see,

a translation to german that is more funny and not serios

and now a bug that not allow me to finish the game

(will obsidian publish the next Gothic 3 Oo)

Guys, unity3d had so good tools to look on the performance or loading times, why you

dont us it?

I don't have nearly as much of an issue as other posters (50 seconds to load initial game, 15 second quicksave) but due to the disproportionately high loading time for area transitions (60 seconds) and the clear difference in loading/saving times from earlier in the game, there's an apparent issue. I have four saves, two of which are quick/auto slots. So if it helps, here's my most recent file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmfunrtvhqw05x4/240f49e795de4c1f9c99d1e3f799ea1c%2013109420%20ClabanRilagLevel1.savegame?dl=0

Any fix yet on the long load/save times for some of you?

Does it help to delete some of your saves? I have 383 saves in my folder...   :)

When I click on Load Game to get to my saves, it takes between 40-60s (it takes about the same time when I try to save a game)

From there it takes less than 10s to load the save

Edited by Descartian

OK my load/save time delay fixed original.gif

Reduced my save games from 383 to 30

From clicking on Load Game it now opens my saves instantaneously (same with clicking on Save Game)

From there it takes less than 10s load the save

With auto save disabled/reduced with IE Mod, area transitions less than 10s

My question is why is the amount of saves causing the delay? Could it be that the game is also trying to access/synchronize your saves through Steam Cloud while it is accessing your saves on your HDD?

Long story short: Run as admin gives higher a privilege than even being an admin, so try it, always.

Long Story:

Unfortunately, (well actually fortunately but annoying as hell) Running a program as an Administrator (right click, run as admin) is VERY different from simply executing a program while logged in with an account with admin rights. Doesn't matter if you got freakin' Enterprise Admin/Domain admin (if you're in a domain) or just local admin non-domain it runs it differently. 

Basically, its another 'security-feature'  from M$ (although i kinda see why..it does help keep windows stable, at least its not that damn UAC) Anyways. Basically stuff is being executed all the time (N. Korean leaders) using your logged in credentials in the background, and windows will always protect itself from any code I guess it determines as malicious to it's OS, Kernal, file system, etc. and won't allow it access. Even if you're an administrator. So running as administrator says 'Hey, you m$ effer! I'm an effing Human! And I own this damn machine and I want this to proggie to run without any of your damn security obstacles!' (at least that's how I envision saying it, you know, with feeling ;)

• Like 1

I'm sure everyone knows by now but all issues have been resolved.  I have no long saving/loading times anymore.  This game is awesome!  120 + hours and counting and still haven't finished the game!  :)

"Women were the reason I  became a Monk...and ah...the reason I switched back".

I'm sure everyone knows by now but all issues have been resolved.

For you they have been resolved. For me there's still no big difference in loading times. Sometimes it loads pretty quickly, sometimes I can literally go brew a coffee and the game's still loading when I return.

Saves however work faster now.

I'm sure everyone knows by now but all issues have been resolved.  I have no long saving/loading times anymore.  This game is awesome!  120 + hours and counting and still haven't finished the game!   :)

Same for me. I'm on 1.05.0567 version and still have loading times btw 40 and 60sec and saving times btw 10 and 15sec. I use only 2 save files (quick and auto), have 35 hours of play time. It became barely playable.