Quick saving and loading times increased greatly after 20~ hours

Gringos

Question

Hi everyone!

After 20~ hours in Pillars, the game began to slow down considerably in loading times.

I'm 30 hours in right now and the issue persists after computer restart.

I like to save often. When I saved in early hours of the game it took about a second - now it's up to 6 seconds per save.

Loading screens take about 10 seconds+ now. Going through 4 loading screens of purely waiting to advance a quest became the most annoying thing.

Does anyone have a clue how I can get the load times back down again?

My specs:

Windows 7

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX960

16GB RAM

Edit: Here's my latest quicksave

Since the upload cap is 1mb here, had to host somewhere else

Edited by Gringos
  • Like 2

I think that Chanter ability and summoning spells are only a part of the problem. Game will also write quite large area specific info after entering each area into the save file.

I don't know if these are used only on area in question, or each time entering an area like that bloated MobileObjects.save file is. If that's the case, this problem will only show itself fully when all areas are explored.

So much is at least obvious. PoE seems to load and read the entire save file and THEN pick what it needs for the area you enter. Meaning the more areas you have behind you, the slower the loading of future areas will be. I think MobileObjects.save is still the main problem though, because that's the "dynamic" info saved and applied to all areas on load. That means the game *has* to load and read the entire file always and at all times, because otherwise it would have no idea what is on what area and what it needs to load and not load.

Imo the only way to truly fix this would be to split the MobileObjects.save so that there is 1 file for each area, as well as an global file for any stuff that needs to loaded globally, and on load, only the file and area info that is relevant to the area you load is loaded. This way area load times could never actually increase (in fact, smaller areas you never been to would load substantially faster) As you would expect (in PoE currently it doesn't matter what you load, 1 screen hut takes exactly as long as giant open map with 50 screens of content)

So yeah, we need a fix for this but the primary problem is still how "loading" works to begin with. The longer you play, the more bloat the game drags behind it whenever it loads an area where NOTHING you did (except global variables setting scripts/choices) should have any influence.

Edited by eRe4s3r
  • Like 1

I've seen some posts on the Steam forums talking about this. Out of curiosity, how big have the save files become?

Could be duplicating saves in a temp file system or maybe the autosave - wish there was a way to turn the autosave off, actually, anyone know a trick for that?

5.6 mb at endgame.

I will add that now that i have multiple save files, it takes about 10 seconds reading all of them after i open the game before i can load 1.

Edited by Arctic

Same issue for me - about 30 hours in, and the save bloat is getting a little out of hand.  I don't mind 20-30 second load times in areas I'll be spending a decent amount of time in exploring and talking, but for screens I'll be spending 2 seconds on, it's actually daunting enough that I don't want to play.

Edit: After creating two new characters, I can confirm that the loading time is quite a bit faster (only 10-12 seconds instead), though still slower than I remember it being upon first starting to play.

Edited by ironballs16

Even with the patch my save and load time are crazy. Before patch 2:30 - After 1:30. Obsidian as disapoint me this time i was hoping that the patch put the save time at 30s max !!! Is someone here who have the same issue ? (sorry for my bad english)

Sorry everyone, offended people are more important than this issue. Obsidian needs to use its resources to sanitize text before it can even start working on fixing this.

Edited by deuxhero
  • Like 1
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

Sorry everyone, offended people are more important than this issue. Obsidian needs to use its resources to sanitize text before it can even start working on fixing this.

And resolving that probably took all of 3 emails and changing lines of in-game text.  Resolving this will probably take considerably more effort.

The patch didn't fix this for me.  When I first launch the game and it's loading the saved games, it spins now for approximately 15 - 20 seconds before showing "Continue" and "Load".  I've got 8 characters and probably about 35 hours in.  I'm on an Alienware box with dual 780's, 16gigs memory and the game is installed on an SSD with over 150gb's of space left.

Edited by Gjefflin

"Women were the reason I  became a Monk...and ah...the reason I switched back".

wait.. you actually had to edit that post?

it was ONE line.

you know who is far more irritating than a supposed social justice warrior?

anti social justice warriors, like you.

The patch didn't fix this for me.  When I first launch the game and it's loading the saved games, it spins now for approximately 15 - 20 seconds before showing "Continue" and "Load".  I've got 8 characters and probably about 35 hours in.  I'm on an Alienware box with dual 780's, 16gigs memory and the game is installed on an SSD with over 150gb's of space left.

It wasn't meant to fix the delay in showing the "load" and "continue" options in menu, it was to reduce the time required to autosave/quicksave and load games.

I have the same issue with loading time :(

Also area transition takes at least 20s each time which kinda ruin the immersion when running quests, loading time is longer than actual time walking on a previously explored map, and it feel worse when it is only to get into a small house

The worse experience with this for me was going to the knights to get the permission to visit the duke, went back to the Brackenbury just to say I got the invitation, then again to the castle: I spent more time in the loading screen than in the actual game :(

Yeah

Save LOAD from Menu 18s (before it was 28 seconds)

Quicksave time 6s (Massively improved though, before 1.03 it was well over 12 seconds ,p)

Area change time 18s (Before it was 23 seconds, without autosaves 13s) so there was improvement

So it's kinda acceptable but still quite horrible, really. 18s for loading a tiny hut is still not really so hot....

Edited by eRe4s3r