Greetings, after playing until Deficance Bay with a more balanced character, i'd like restart the game with a character that's focused on dexterity and the mental attributes, dumping the first two (-> great dialogue choices). So its about Might & Con = 3, the rest 18+.

What class would you suggest for this attribute array ?

Wizard.

Clarification: Wizard using crowd control spells which give status effects.

Also, keep in mind that the squishier characters you have in the back, the tougher characters you need in the front. And the more imbalanced squishiness vs. toughness is in your party, the more important positioning is.

Edited by Rostere

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Sooooo...no damage and no getting hit....there's a couple of options but DPS, healing and/or tanking are obviously not a viable option. 3 Mig/Con would incur a malus of -21% to dmg and healing and -42% to HP. Fortitude would also suffer.

The obvious ones are support Chanter or Paladin. Both are walking buff-machines that enhance the rest of the party simply on account of being there. The Chanter can also contribute summoned creatures to combat as well as charm ad paralysis. And despite low HP and fortitude, high Dex, Per, Int and Res will mean that they will have very good reflex and will defences. DR and deflection of course come from armour and shields which can still be used. As such, they'd be reasonably robust as long as they're kept out of the fray and just offer support to those who are.

Priest could also work. While the healing would suck with such a hefty penalty, they still have many buffs/debuffs that would have useful effects.

The last I can think of is an interrupt build, on the basis of high dex/per. A rogue would be a bad idea (and sneak attack will be pointless with such low might), but a ranger could work. As well as having an animal companion to distract/tank and mix things up in melee, get Strengthened Bond, Swift Aim (and Swift and Steady) and no armour, going for pure attack speed wherever possible. Having a high rate of attack and chance to interrupt will severely hamper (stunlock) targeted enemies. The Ranger can also do a few status effects (prone, stun, hobble) which can benefit the rest of the party.

I think fighter, monk, rogue, cipher and barbarian would be useless and very fragile. Simlarly, druids and wizards, in spite of a high int, would be very ineffective.

I think the chanter could be quite viable tho. Ancient Memory would be less effective but beyond that, they can still contribute with their status effects and summons. Another nice feature is that they don't need to rest to regain spells/abilities. You could roleplay a Paladin perhaps as an old, retired (or crippled) military leader, hence his poor health/strength but still has great command in battle. The ranger could be fun too since you'll still have an animal companion that's a little more robust, making combat more involved.

Edited by KingsGambit

Wizard.

Also, keep in mind that the squishier characters you have in the back, the tougher characters you need in the front. And the more imbalanced squishiness vs. toughness is in your party, the more important positioning is.

Control wizard seems like a good choice, but they really go down very fast to archers and other wizard, since their endurance is so very low to begin with & 3 con lowers it even further. Also, my first companion (that doesn't die) is a wizard.

Nice to see someone with a Dark Sun avatar btw., good times... :)

Wizard.

Control wizard seems like a good choice, but they really go down very fast to archers and other wizard, since their endurance is so very low to begin with & 3 con lowers it even further. Also, my first companion (that doesn't die) is a wizard.

Nice to see someone with a Dark Sun avatar btw., good times... :)

Dumping CON on a wizard won't make you super squishy as the bonus or penalty for buffing or dumping Con depends on the class.

Wizards are squishy, no amount of CON can change that. The penalty for a wizard dumping CON is nearly meaningless.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Dumping CON on a wizard won't make you super squishy as the bonus or penalty for buffing or dumping Con depends on the class.

Wizards are squishy, no amount of CON can change that. The penalty for a wizard dumping CON is nearly meaningless.

Maybe i'm too used to think in terms of D&D/Pathfinder where slightly posive con is essential for low lvl wizards, and a con malus is death.

Sooooo...no damage and no getting hit....there's a couple of options but DPS, healing and/or tanking are obviously not a viable option. 3 Mig/Con would incur a malus of -21% to dmg and healing and -42% to HP. Fortitude would also suffer.

The obvious ones are support Chanter or Paladin. Both are walking buff-machines that enhance the rest of the party simply on account of being there. The Chanter can also contribute summoned creatures to combat as well as charm ad paralysis. And despite low HP and fortitude, high Dex, Per, Int and Res will mean that they will have very good reflex and will defences. DR and deflection of course come from armour and shields which can still be used. As such, they'd be reasonably robust as long as they're kept out of the fray and just offer support to those who are.

Priest could also work. While the healing would suck with such a hefty penalty, they still have many buffs/debuffs that would have useful effects.

The last I can think of is an interrupt build, on the basis of high dex/per. A rogue would be a bad idea (and sneak attack will be pointless with such low might), but a ranger could work. As well as having an animal companion to distract/tank and mix things up in melee, get Strengthened Bond, Swift Aim (and Swift and Steady) and no armour, going for pure attack speed wherever possible. Having a high rate of attack and chance to interrupt will severely hamper (stunlock) targeted enemies. The Ranger can also do a few status effects (prone, stun, hobble) which can benefit the rest of the party.

I think fighter, monk, rogue, cipher and barbarian would be useless and very fragile. Simlarly, druids and wizards, in spite of a high int, would be very ineffective.

I think the chanter could be quite viable tho. Ancient Memory would be less effective but beyond that, they can still contribute with their status effects and summons. Another nice feature is that they don't need to rest to regain spells/abilities. You could roleplay a Paladin perhaps as an old, retired (or crippled) military leader, hence his poor health/strength but still has great command in battle. The ranger could be fun too since you'll still have an animal companion that's a little more robust, making combat more involved.

Thank you all very good points, i'm leaning towards a paladin now. I think the ranger interrupt build idea would also be lots of fun, but i get a ranged ranger companion shortly before defiance bay and i didn't find a paladin so far.  Don't know about the chanter, i like to use my strongest abilities at the start of the battle, and summons etc. only appear for clean-up duty...

Thank you all very good points, i'm leaning towards a paladin now. I think the ranger interrupt build idea would also be lots of fun, but i get a ranged ranger companion shortly before defiance bay and i didn't find a paladin so far.  Don't know about the chanter, i like to use my strongest abilities at the start of the battle, and summons etc. only appear for clean-up duty...

Yes, it's a shame about the chanters' mechanic, taking anywhere from minimum 12 to maximum 40 seconds to cast anything. But I suppose the nature of the class is the trade off between the power of the constant chants vs. the frequency of using invocations. The Paladin would certainly be more active and could contribute a great deal to a fight despite lower damage output. From a RP perspective, it also adds the disposition/reputation bonuses/maluses for adhering to their Order's ethos. FYI, there is a Paladin companion to join the party in Defiance Bay.

Saying that, Paladin is a good choice since they are consistently outperformed in DPS anyway, even with high might. Playing them as a low hp but otherwise survivable support class they can be fully realised without being hamstrung at all. Their AoE's are short range (2.5-5m before Int bonus) but lots of targeted abilities, including a "resurrect" of sorts. And even at -21%, Lay on Hands and Flame of Devotion aren't terrible and can be specced to confer other bonuses.

For example, Shielding Flames (Shieldbearer order) grants a deflection bonus to allies and Intense Flames increases Flame of Devotion dmg further. Get a powerful gun and open combat with a flame of devotion shot, it will still hit very hard and give everyone a temporary deflection bonus. Your tank will thank you :-)

• Like 1

Yes, it's a shame about the chanters' mechanic, taking anywhere from minimum 12 to maximum 40 seconds to cast anything. But I suppose the nature of the class is the trade off between the power of the constant chants vs. the frequency of using invocations. The Paladin would certainly be more active and could contribute a great deal to a fight despite lower damage output. From a RP perspective, it also adds the disposition/reputation bonuses/maluses for adhering to their Order's ethos. FYI, there is a Paladin companion to join the party in Defiance Bay.

Saying that, Paladin is a good choice since they are consistently outperformed in DPS anyway, even with high might. Playing them as a low hp but otherwise survivable support class they can be fully realised without being hamstrung at all. Their AoE's are short range (2.5-5m before Int bonus) but lots of targeted abilities, including a "resurrect" of sorts. And even at -21%, Lay on Hands and Flame of Devotion aren't terrible and can be specced to confer other bonuses.

For example, Shielding Flames (Shieldbearer order) grants a deflection bonus to allies and Intense Flames increases Flame of Devotion dmg further. Get a powerful gun and open combat with a flame of devotion shot, it will still hit very hard and give everyone a temporary deflection bonus. Your tank will thank you :-)

The paladin was a really great idea! Played her till lvl 4 now, and she is surprisingly effective, granting an constant aura for +6 to hit to my allies and her shielding flames adding +10 deflection twice per encounter (for 10 sec). Also, she is really quite hard to hit (deflection 75, ref 78, wil 73), it almost feels broken - unless someone targets fortitude (12 currently). And she interrupts enemies all the time (dual wielding dagger and a larder door = shield with bash ability). Damage isn't that great however, but thats where my companions can shine.

So, thank you, i'm having a blast (and all my favorite dialogue options, too)... .)

Edited by pstone

Wow, I haven't thought about that approach to Paladin. Ninja dodging buffing tank with low health, thats interesting idea.

What do you think about min Might min Con  Cipher? Stick to debuff-control and Draining whip+blunderbuss for focus gain.

Wow, I haven't thought about that approach to Paladin. Ninja dodging buffing tank with low health, thats interesting idea.

What do you think about min Might min Con  Cipher? Stick to debuff-control and Draining whip+blunderbuss for focus gain.

Focus gain is directly related to damage dealt with your weapon, but blunderbuss should still do enough damage and high dex means more frequent attacks. I think the chanter has a nice chant that decreases reloading time and increses speed. So yes, Ciphers are the kings of debuff-control -> should work great...

This thread touches on my own little OCD for unlocking conversation options. Now there isn't really a class I want to play that works the way I want it with 18 int/per - and these 3 anything builds just won't get past my brain. So I'm just gonna ask, how much is it really worth to unlock those options? Is there some real goodie to be had somewhere?

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

This thread touches on my own little OCD for unlocking conversation options. Now there isn't really a class I want to play that works the way I want it with 18 int/per - and these 3 anything builds just won't get past my brain. So I'm just gonna ask, how much is it really worth to unlock those options? Is there some real goodie to be had somewhere?

hehe, I feel exactly the same way. I cannot bring myself to have negative values in attributes, but I want as many conversation unlocks as possible, so I ended up with a Cipher with 13 Might, 10 Constitution, 10 Dexterity, 14 Perception, 16 Intelligence, and 14 Resolve. So far he actually deals fine damage and can offtank as well as he can function with a ranged weapon.

Well, i'm currently in chapter 2 / Defiance Bay: there were several Resolve & Perception options 18+ so far, and two for int 18+. Dexterity 18 was mostly a waste, the highest one i encountered was 16. Mostly those attributes added additional information and insights, only the resolve options resulted (rarely) in a better quest resolution.