Your RPG system sucks!

Sawyer says that you can easily ruing a character in D&D by not specing it properly. Well how is this any different? I can't make a basic class worth a damn with this stupid system you guys devised, just gimmick builds.

How does this game not force you into play styles? You basically always have to sneak into battle. You pretty much have to crawl around sneaking everywhere, which is a PITA.

Your non-tanks are beyond squishy. Monks have to get hit in order to use their skills/powers? That's ****ing stupid beyond belief! Almost every fight my rogue/monk/wizard get dropped. The tanks can't hold aggro. It's just bad design all around. Yet again, this shows the major problem with paid betas when its the fanboys telling the devs what they want to hear instead of giving them the criticism they need to hear.

And trying to manage a party of 6 in real-time combat is patently absurd - even at slow speed. All it does is result in spamming the space bar pauses. DOS is infinitely better with its turn-based combat.

The spell system and spells themselves are terrible. Fights happen so fast that de/buffs are basically pointless because the fight is over by the time the spell is cast. It also makes most food/potions/scrolls useless in that regard as well. The spell times should be instant - seeing as you get so few spells to actually cast anyway and mana doesn't play a factor. And durations on all that stuff should be upped by a factor of 10 at least. I should be able to have those buffs going for an entire map. Otherwise, it's just camping after every encounter - and that's way too expensive at low levels.

There are so many things I *hate* about the system you designed. Why did you try and reinvent the wheel? Yes, D&D is far from perfect but it's a damn sight better than this rubbish. And that's the real shame of it just completely takes the fun out of the game and destroys all the hard work that was put into the beautiful artwork and excellent writing. I've loved most all of Obsidian's work - and Black Isle before that - down through the years, but this is really just awful, awful stuff.

I hope you guys can do a follow-up for Fallout 4 a la FNV. I'll at least look forward to that - so long as it doesn't use this crappy system.

• Like 7

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

Disagree on almost every point - I guess this game isn't for you. Move on.

[edit] with thanks from me for kickstarting it...

You disagree because it's wrong, or because you love banana's?  I'd seriously like to hear some counter-crits here as the OP has pointed out some factual issues.

• Like 3

How does this game not force you into play styles? You basically always have to sneak into battle. You pretty much have to crawl around sneaking everywhere

That's the only bit I can fully agree with, but I have to say that with only 8 something hours into the game, it already feels boring to open every battle with a sneak attack and then let my tank soak the engagement arrows.

This is a prime example of a no-brainer "decision" in a system which was supposed to do everything to avoid no-brainers.

One of the arguments for having party memebres run all the time instead of walk, was that they have to move faster around the map, so the players wouldn't get bored. Well, surprise-surprise, if a player wants to play efficiently, he has to sneak all the time which is even slower than walking.

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Otherwise, it's just camping after every encounter - and that's way too expensive at low levels.

I play on hard, and i don't have any problems with rest. Thought it can be tricky having only two supplies. So have you thought that maybe it's you, and not the game? :) 

• Like 8

How does this game not force you into play styles? You basically always have to sneak into battle. You pretty much have to crawl around sneaking everywhere, which is a PITA.

Considering so many other players don't have issue with playing other non-sneaky classes, the problems you list are clearly entirely PEBCAK.

If you TRY to play the rules as a D&D ruleset, you will fail. Read stuff. For example, the stats work rather differently from how D&D works.

None of your post is valid criticism. In fact, it sounds like you don't know how to use pause or autopause and never bothered reading about the actual systems in place. Like engagement.

• Like 5

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The only thing where I would see your point is needing to sneak everywhere. You can just increase game speed and that part is solved.

You dont need to sneak to every battle. who said u should ?

And managing 6 people at real time ? I never did that in any D&D game, and if u did, maybe it means the game was so easy u didnt had to pause it .. ?

Food/potions/scrolls are useless as much as enchanting is uselss. you dont have to use it, they give u a choice!

So as sim-h said, i basically disagree with the OP opinion :)

• Like 2

what_can_cb510.png

But shouldn't scouting be a no-brainer if you want to be efficient IRL? I play on hard and have had no issue with the "problems" you mention. What do you propose as an alternative to scouting?

First off, make absolutely sure you are playing on "easy" if you have trouble with the game. Are you playing on easy? Otherwise there is no way for people like me to know it's just not you who suck at the game.

What attributes does your party have? I'm interested.

• Like 3

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Maybe you should try playing in easy, could fit you better, and i fail to see how you managed to play IE games without using pause with a group of 6, you may have bad memories or might have been using mods to make the game very easy (hence my suggestion to play in easy here).

I would't say it's bad, more like diffrent from DnD. Although there is a small problem: WHY can't i have mora than ONE trap on the ground ? It's illogiacal, i'ts limiting my tactics by a lot ! I was hoping this is a bug, but other players confirmed, that they also can't place more than one... And that is the only thing i would change.

• Like 1

I don't mean this in a condescending way, but have you tried lowering the difficulty? In most games, Normal really means Easy and Easy means Stupid Easy. In Pillars, Normal means normal - if you take the time to learn the system and pause regularly during combat - and if you don't, Normal is pretty hard.

I haven't had a party wipe yet on normal, but I had some difficulties until I spent some time reading up on how tho play.

Enabling pause on enemy sighted might help, since visual range is slightly larger than combat range. So you'll see the pause, and then you can decide to move around a bit, and then stealth to get your melee chars a bit closer.

As for the monk thing, afaik the wounds mechanic provides %DR which means they're inherently tank-y so combined that with the fact that you thought the smartest thing to do was somehow post your opinions online (I know I'm being slightly hypocritical by bothering to reply, mostly I just wanted to remind people about the auto-pause options) you're basically just an idiot.

I really hope Obsidian dont give any "attention" to these threads and switch to turn based. Because there is no point of reinventing chess. Keep on real time!

• Like 6

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

The only thing where I would see your point is needing to sneak everywhere. You can just increase game speed and that part is solved.

You dont need to sneak to every battle. who said u should ?

And managing 6 people at real time ? I never did that in any D&D game, and if u did, maybe it means the game was so easy u didnt had to pause it .. ?

Food/potions/scrolls are useless as much as enchanting is uselss. you dont have to use it, they give u a choice!

So as sim-h said, i basically disagree with the OP opinion :)

they give you a choice whether to use a "useless feature"?...that sounds naff. I have just started playing and like it so far....but dont like to think there is no point doing some things

I really hope Obsidian dont give any "attention" to these threads and switch to turn based. Because there is no point of reinventing chess. Keep on real time!

Of course they won't. They'd have to design an entirely new combat system.

You disagree because it's wrong, or because you love banana's?  I'd seriously like to hear some counter-crits here as the OP has pointed out some factual issues.

I don't see a single factual issue - sorry!

Always have to sneak into combat? No. I base whether I do or not on my character, e.g. my Paladin does not sneak anywhere unless someone in the party is searching for traps etc. (although I'm annoyed the Paladin has to also enter sneak mode to achieve this).

Monks having to get hit to use their powers is not 'stupid beyond belief'. It's interesting and a good idea.

Almost every fight your rogue/wizard/etc gets dropped? Then your tactics are all over the place. Keep them at the back and if anyone engages them get all your party to focus on that one guy until the squishy guy is freed up.

Real-time pause combat. I have played D:OS and I prefer the PoE system. I found the lack of Pause in D:OS just plain weird. I am an infinity engine gamer. Pause is my friend. I'm surprised the OP backed the game if he didn't want to see a game with this combat system, since it was always clearly stated from what I can gather.

Spells are not terrible. They are working fine for me. If you need more buffs and find yourself resting too often just drop the difficulty. I'm playing on Hard and finding it challenging but had no need to rest outside of the normal day/night cycle yet, although I am early in the game since I replayed the first bit about 6 times to test out different characters.

So yeah sorry LeBurns I see zero factual issues and 100% the OP's opinions.

[edit] and as someone else has said, set up your auto-pause options for when enemies are sighted. Hey presto no more scouting for enemies unless it fits your RP.

[edit 2] a potion of endurance recovery saved my character's life in the middle of a fight, so I wouldn't agree that potions are useless.

Edited by sim-h
  • Like 9

This is such a silly post. You accuse them of reinventing the wheel when they literally copied 80% of what existed before. In fact, the entire game is a love letter to the wheels designed over a decade ago.

And this system IS more forgiving than other D&D games. In BG2, there were actually classes that were horrible. As far as I know in this game, it's not possible to design a truly horrible character.

• Like 5

"And trying to manage a party of 6 in real-time combat is patently absurd - even at slow speed. All it does is result in spamming the space bar pauses."

fry-not-sure-if-trolling.jpg

Edited by pipboy2000
  • Like 30

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

Fırst of all thanks for backing this awesome game. I dont even know what to say about your first paragraph so gonna skip that.

You dont have to sneak into every battle, but if you dont you are gonna have a harder time than if you did. I mean... what did you expect?

AFAIK there is no way to hold aggro in most DnD games if not all. You need to position your tanky character in front and close to enemies so they attack him first, keep your squish guys at back or if they are melee let your tank and enemy npcs get into position first. Which also solves your "my rogue is dying" problem. THEY SHOULDNT GET HIT. Of couse they die, thats why they are squish, thats why you have meat shields and dps characters. Again thats basic DnD rule. If your character does not have neccessary defences, he is going to have a bad time. I mean you dont jump in front of an Orc Barbarian with your sneaky rogue, right? Come to think of it, did you actually play DnD at all? (Not 4E bull****) Because you compare it to DnD later on your post.

The game tells you right at the start that pausing in this game is REALLY important. If you dont like that, you can play in easy, or you can play with less than 6 characters in your party. You can do pretty well with 4 people too. I know some crazy people will eventually solo it on hard, not me tho.

I cant say anything about buffs, since i dont like using spell slots for 150 seconds of buffs so i never actually tried them. But, i can say that debuffs are pretty amazing, using my charm and making them fight each other, or paralyzing the boss while killing the thrash is pretty damn good.  

So yeah, it seems like you dont enjoy this system and ı dont think they promised something different. Too bad you dont like it, but well they cant please everyone. I dont know why i spent so much time answering this post instead of playing the game. My fanboism got better of me i guess :(( Oh wait, fans cant criticise right? Dont mind me than. 

• Like 1

Except they are not factual issues. I've been playing the game on hard without any beta participation, just previous IE experience, and I'm having no major issues and I'm enjoying the combats thoroughly and usually have all my spells exhausted in no time. I can't identify with a single issue he listed because I simply haven't encountered any of them.

OP if you have been playing on 'nightmare' or whatever it's called, please do consider lowering the difficulty to at least 'hard' so that you can have as much fun as I do. Don't worry, others won't laugh at you for it.

I would like to applaud the people who came up with the system as it seems to be a lot of fun :) Particularly the 'combat only' feats are a lot of fun to play around with.

• Like 1

I will give the OP credit for one point:

They don't go to much trouble to introduce several key mechanics (engagement) and then they turn around and throw enemies at you, early game, that completely negate that mechanic (teleporting shades that just LOVE my wizard...)

• Like 1

Your non-tanks are beyond squishy. Monks have to get hit in order to use their skills/powers? That's ****ing stupid beyond belief! Almost every fight my rogue/monk/wizard get dropped. The tanks can't hold aggro. It's just bad design all around. Yet again, this shows the major problem with paid betas when its the fanboys telling the devs what they want to hear instead of giving them the criticism they need to hear.

I think you are doing something wrong dude. My rogue, playing on hard: 

oSyYlUN.png

• Like 4