I saw IGN's review they gave it a score of 9 which is awesome but they also had one negative point in the summary. That the

art style was dated. I understand that the graphics might not be the best but the art style has really invoked that feeling of 

tabletop roleplay and as a roleplayer that is more than awesome and fits the setting perfectly. 

What are your thoughts on the art style in the game?

• Like 5

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

It has driven me nuts for YEARS when someone has made a negative comment about the art style of the IE games. The art is gorgeous, and still holds up even today... just look at how well the EE editions did with all the same assets. In contrast, have you ever tried to load up NWN in the past couple years? It looks TERRIBLE, but at the time it was lauded as the "latest and greatest" because of... *gasp*... 3-effin-D!!!

AAAAUUUGHRrhhsrksdrslr! I have been incensed for over a decade now at the trend of 3D = AMAZEBALLS that has taken over then industry. 3D is NOT the be-all and end-all. Personally I MUCH prefer the art style of old, and IMHO the art in PoE is nearing on perfection.

THANK THE CRPG GODS that someone, somewhere, finally came to their senses.

• Like 5

Art is always subjective.  A lot of things about a game can be right or wrong or can even be debated some, but the art style is always subjective.  Scoring down due to the art style just shows a very weak reviewer.  It's ok to say the art style isn't for you (I can say that about a lot of games) but scoring down due to it just isn't right.

• Like 2

I don't understand this complaint. It is SOOOOOO obvious what the art director is trying to do with this game, and they fulfilled their vision PERFECTLY. Anyone who criticizes the art design just has a problem with the vision of that art design - but nobody say that the art director didn't achieve their goal, or that the art design is poor - because that's a load of hogwash.

I think dated art style to them isn't really a complaint about the art style at all. It's more like they want everything to be in a modern day 3d engine where they can zoom in and look at their characters' pretty faces. In their dear, misguided heads, a pretty, open world engine like the one for DA:I equates to a current "art style." But guess what, you can't make a game like that for 4 million dollars, and even if you could, you would probably be missing the point of what made IE great.

• Like 1

I don't feel like it's outdated, but that it's trying to be different. When some people see graphics that looks like paintings it seems like they mistake it for bad/old graphics. 

I guess it could have been better, but so could anything, I'm really enjoying the art and the graphics myself. 

Edited by Freshock

My thoughts are that anyone who ever calls any art style 'dated' in any context is a moron.

I'm a graphics whore and even I would agree with that assessment.

Apart from not so sharp shadows, there is really nothing wrong with graphics.

Animations are far more important than graphics anyway, I wish the firearms were animated in more detail when firing, and the sound cuts off too abruptly.

Dated is just such a wrong choice of words to describe art full stop. The PoE graphics do seem inexplicably....bland to me though. Nothing much to whine about but it has struck me, even though I`m still not sure precisely why. I think maybe it`s the character models. I had a hard time making them look different from each other during character creation and playing the game everyone of the same race looks basically the same. But it`s a small thing to me. i don`t care much about graphics anyway. I must say that I was impressed that I was allowed to play a ginger afro mage with a yellow robe in D:OS though. But I suppose I would just get spoiled if every game let me do that:)

• Like 1

I like the style very much. Screw IGN and whoever else is posting arbitrary ratings based on appearance that they didn't like.

I'm only a little sad that the individual maps feel a little small compared to BG/IWD. I don't know how they compare to ToEE which was published later, maybe that would be a better comparison?

I think dated art style to them isn't really a complaint about the art style at all. It's more like they want everything to be in a modern day 3d engine where they can zoom in and look at their characters' pretty faces. In their dear, misguided heads, a pretty, open world engine like the one for DA:I equates to a current "art style." But guess what, you can't make a game like that for 4 million dollars, and even if you could, you would probably be missing the point of what made IE great.

Hah, exactly what you are saying, You could call it the paper doll syndrome. A lot of modern have a really in depth character creation and cool items to

make your character look fancy. I say that a good roleplaying game doesn't require a good "paper doll" system. 

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

As I said in another thread, the gaming industry and fans unanimously consider 8 bit games to be retro and cool, e.g. Minecraft, Binding of Issac, Super Meat Boy.

But then when someone makes a 2D RPG, all of a sudden its 'dated'.

Edited by Mungri
  • Like 1

It has driven me nuts for YEARS when someone has made a negative comment about the art style of the IE games. The art is gorgeous, and still holds up even today... just look at how well the EE editions did with all the same assets. In contrast, have you ever tried to load up NWN in the past couple years? It looks TERRIBLE, but at the time it was lauded as the "latest and greatest" because of... *gasp*... 3-effin-D!!!

AAAAUUUGHRrhhsrksdrslr! I have been incensed for over a decade now at the trend of 3D = AMAZEBALLS that has taken over then industry. 3D is NOT the be-all and end-all. Personally I MUCH prefer the art style of old, and IMHO the art in PoE is nearing on perfection.

THANK THE CRPG GODS that someone, somewhere, finally came to their senses.

Are you awere that characters in PoE are 3D? IIRC character sprites in IE were converted from 3D, basicly you render highquality models and create animations then turn them to "gif". That is the reason why characters don't look weird upon handdraw backgrounds in the Enhanced Editions of IE games, they are outdated for prerendered standart but not so much for real time render standart. PoE maybe wouldn't age fast as NWN or any other "full 3D" games but it would age faster than IE games.

It isn't just the 2Dvs3D look at the first Witcher, it made in first NWN engine yet it looks better than NWN2 and DA:O and its age slower than them. And all of them made in 3D Bioware engines.

Games needs good art style to be good looking in the future and PoE have it.

I happen to prefer the artstyle to that used on many newer games, and believe that it works better for RPGs -- especially party-based RPGs -- than modern 3d graphics often do.

I also think that 'dated' is a foolish term to use to describe an art style or indeed anything that is primarily judged on (inherently subjective) aesthetic merits. Going by that definition, they may as well decry every game as having a dated art style, because it inevitably will become older and thus 'dated'. Artistic merit is considerably more important than rather or not an art style is the newest thing, and use of the term 'dated' (even aside from the other problems with it) doesn't reflect that. I find that Icewind Dale's graphics have held up very well, for instance, but many at-the-time bleeding edge 3d games haven't held up so well. Painted backgrounds are pretty timeless. If they're good, they'll stay good.

• Like 1

knightofchaoss.jpg

I for one really love this 2D/3D art style, it reminds me of the older IE games. This art style is

breathtaking and does not feel outdated, if you ask me it works perfectly with Pillars of Eternity.

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´