The one thing about the game that has irked me.

I don't know why it was really necessary to go ham with the out of character meta-messages in the tombstones you find around the world. I mean, already seems like a silly cliche that every RPG will have a graveyard that repeats the same tombstone jokes (Here lies John Smith. Pardon me for not rising.) But alright, I can put up with that, some of those jokes never get old. 

But going nuts with real world modern references really ruined my immersion at that point. Like, completely shot down in a way that I decided to take a break and pretend I never saw it. I even saw references to web pages (with the full www.thiswebpagesucks.com). Really, really disappointed at that.

For the rest, the game is brilliant, and I can't stop playing it. But you really dropped the ball there, Obs.

Edited by Emerwyn

Each tombstone was written by a Kickstarter backer of a certain level. It was a promised KS reward - just like the various characters, books, etc. you find in Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2. 

I don't think it's a wonderful idea either, it sort of ends up looking like product placement.... by the consumers. But I can understand why it ended up being there.

Well, if that's your only complaint about the game...?! :) Personally, I never cared or do care for these tombstones...quickly read through them, then forgot about them. Not at all an immersion-breaker for me ...

Vox: The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me Vox

Are you ... like a crazy person?

Vox: I’m quite sure they will say so.

That website ad was horrible. It should have never been accepted by Obsidian. However, I'm okay with the other tombstones; they're immersion-breaking, but it's a small price to pay for an incentive to back at the $500 tier. That money helped make the game better for all of us. I can live with a few tombstones I will never interact with again after I discovered what they are.

In time I imagine there will be a mod to get rid of the offending tombstones, as well as the poorly named backer NPCs.

That time can't come soon enough.

Hey, these people paid a lot of money for their stuff!  They deserve some respect for the massive monetary contributions!

/me keeps a perfectly straight face.

Well, I understand it was offered as reward, but then that was the mistake to start with. I mean, I'm sure there would have been a thousand ways to reward certain tiers of backer, and especially a thousand different ways to promote certain websites different than ruining the game's lore and immersion.

I don't know, I can't imagine watching the Lord of the Rings, the battle rages on, Dwarves charge downhill, the wraiths stand defiant. The rohiri ride across the battlefield as the elves shoot their silver arrows, Sauron himself awaiting atop an army of uruk-hai, when suddenly a modern airplane trails across the sky with a banner (www.mcdonalds.com. I'm lovin' it). 

Then you can say "But dude, McDonalds gave 500,000 dollars that helped make the movie!" and another person will say "Well you don't HAVE to look at the part of Mordor's sky where the boeing 747 is trailing across with the banner". 

Whatever, it's lame, and it shouldn't be there. 

For some people it might have been a minor thing, but we're talking about the storytelling of an immersive RPG... no, the storytelling of THE immersuve RPG being raped by a few dollars in a way that was really not necessary.

Edited by Emerwyn

Kinda annoying, just stopped reading tombestones after the first message. Not especially in a hurry for a mod removing them but wouldn't mind.

As for removing the Kickstarter NPCs... they have loot, so removing them the old fashion way is an appreciable option.

Edited by DrBrian

Yeah, most of them are really silly and kinda jarring.

The Club for Refined and Prestigious Gentlemen was awesome though.

Oh, and, @Monte Carlo -- I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news is, you can wear a golden codpiece.

The bad news is, it used to belong to OldManPaco from the Codex.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Emerwyn that movie analogy only works if you had to CHOOSE to see the huge banner and plane. It takes the act of clicking on the tombstone to break your immersion. Don't click on it and your immersion is in tact and you've lost no content.

Edited by Fen(rir)tastic

Seriously, get a fookin' grip guys! If you see a tombstone that opens up a submenu with weird names on it, just don't click the ****ing buttons.

It takes two damn clicks to actually see those gravestone texts. Is it so damn hard to avoid that second click?

• Like 2

There's no reason to read the tombstones and I've stopped soulreading yellow backer npcs that are practiaclly littering the game world after Gilded Vale. But most of their silly names are still bugging me by breaking immersion when I use Tab highlighting. I hope that if Obisidan goes for another kickstarter backed project they will think of something less pervasive and more localized location wise, like that giant kickstarter tree in the woods in D:OS, for example.

• Like 1

There's no reason to read the tombstones and I've stopped soulreading yellow backer npcs that are practiaclly littering the game world after Gilded Vale. But most of their silly names are still bugging me by breaking immersion when I use Tab highlighting. I hope that if Obisidan goes for another kickstarter backed project they will think of something less pervasive and more localized location wise, like that giant kickstarter tree in the woods in D:OS, for example.

There should be an option to remove all of this crap backer content for whoever doesn't want to see it. a simple toggle and that's it.

But most of their silly names are still bugging me by breaking immersion when I use Tab highlighting

Could people actually list those silly names?

<_< I mean none of the names particularly sticked out to me as silly....

Edited by BrokenMask

But most of their silly names are still bugging me by breaking immersion when I use Tab highlighting

Alll those that are very inconsistent with the ordinary game world npcs names. And that's like most of them.

There should be an option to remove all of this crap backer content for whoever doesn't want to see it. a simple toggle and that's it.

It would have to be a rather complex toggle. It would have to have a bunch of options. Because if they just remove all the backer content, the game will lose:

1) Several Inns

2) Several powerful weapon drops

3) Several Enemy party encounters

4) A bunch of the available character portraits

And who the hell wants to lose those?

In any case, I'm not seeing the "Broke my Immersion!" logic here. What are you guys doing, exactly? Ok, you see a tomb stone. you click on it. "Sh*t! what is this 4th wall-breaking nonsense!? Immershun broken! F*ck!"...... then, one dungeon corridor later: "Hey! another tombstone. Well, gotta click on it. Dammit! Immersion broken again!"

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Alll those that are very inconsistent with the ordinary game world npcs names. And that's like most of them.

I just assume that if person has different styled name, they aren't from Dyrwood

Granted, I haven't read the npc stories