[BUG] Party member's inventory gone after switching them

Stahlbart

Question

Hey folks,

yesterday, after getting my 6th party member I was struggling with choosing which one to dismiss. So I switched around a bit and noticed, that every time I get a character back into the party, their inventory would vanish completely. 

Checked the stash: nope.

Checked the chests in the bedrooms in the stronghold: nope.

So I googled, found nothing, asked at Steam and went to bed.

As I got up, no answer. I started the game, tested it again and the inventory was still there.

Luckily I had a save before switching around, but Durance's inventory seems to be gone for good....

TL;DR: 

Inventory vanished after switching out party members. Next day, bug was gone, but Durance's inventory is lost.

I've been doing a lot of party swapping, but haven't been hit by the inventory loss/reset bug. Must only be happening to certain people, which is why it hasn't been fixed. I've done the swap outs both at inns and the Stronghold, too.

I do notice that "Personal" stats seems to reset, but that almost makes sense, even though they probably should persist properly. For all I know that might be a design decision on their part.

Hey guys,

I've  gotten this bug once in an older build but not again in 1.04. Has anyone here gotten this bug in a new 1.04 game? If you have, please help us by listing detail steps. Thanks!

• Like 2

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!

I reinstall teh game from 0 with teh new patch and I have the bug in Inn and Stronghold.

This is saved with bug. I run GoG version, Windows 7, Spanish languaje.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/41eab64vvmyquyk/2e20a116331544ada86bd4212918b0d9%208082355%20ElSabuesoNegro.savegame?dl=0

EDIT: I forget the Log and System Spec

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7iqz2xqvl0llxr/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/040x76sscl920cg/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Edited by Aranduin
  • Like 3

I reinstall teh game from 0 with teh new patch and I have the bug in Inn and Stronghold.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/41eab64vvmyquyk/2e20a116331544ada86bd4212918b0d9%208082355%20ElSabuesoNegro.savegame?dl=0

Thanks Aranduin!

I was able to reproduce this bug with your save. I'll make sure this is a high priority. 

• Like 6

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...

Thanks Aranduin!

I was able to reproduce this bug with your save. I'll make sure this is a high priority. 

A pleasure.

I have the same issue.... 

Threw eder out so i could lvl aloth who isnt in my party to send him packing on a quest. Got eder back and like 8 magic items were gone from his inventory, including a unique 2h sword.

I didnt notice this till after clearing like 3 lvls of endless paths and i couldnt stand the thought of doing it all over again, i near just quit.

Lost like 80% of my gold in items. 

When is this going to be fixed? 

Will you be able to make it so i dont have to reload a million saves back? If that even fixes it... 

Odd thing is, im pretty sure all but a single item was gone, had a lone blue mace still in my inventory after.

Hey guys,

Just an update that this should be fix in the next patch. 

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Do you know exactly what form the fix will take? E.g., will companions that have lost their items have the items restored, or, is the fix only going to prevent items from being lost in future swaps of companions in/out of the party?

I just discovered this. Played pretty much all the way to the end of Act 2 with the same party. Celebrated by going to the stronghold to level everyone else up, swapping them in and out of the party by the bedroom upstairs in Brighthollow.

Merrily carried on and then needed to fish something out of the inventory in Nine Elms. Found all my pets are gone. All of them. Even the Miniature Giant Space Piglet I got as a KS backer...  :(

I'm seriously hacked off. This might not be a "gamebreaker", but it's just taken a dirty great sledgehammer to my enjoyment of the game. 

It's great to hear that there might be a patch to fix it, but will it correct the mistake? Will we be allowed to add back missing items without triggering the Steam Achievements block that using the console has? Can I get my MGSP back?

Hey guys,

Do you know exactly what form the fix will take? E.g., will companions that have lost their items have the items restored, or, is the fix only going to prevent items from being lost in future swaps of companions in/out of the party?

Unfortunately, I believe its the latter.

Why the bug was occurring:

One of our programmers: "...this happens because the stored companion is being rebuilt in the scene off in the bar so you can go talk to them once dismissing them. All of their items are being restored and some are duplicated and the originals are then deleted. Because of this, when we go to restore the companion back into the party, it can find no original persistence data for the guids stored since they were removed when the companion was placed back in the scene at their "placed companion node"."

On a more positive note, we really do appreciate the community's support. Its because of your help we're able to track down the bug and fix it. Thanks guys.

After being lucky(?) to not see this bug until level 9, I finally got it tonight. Had to reload from before I started doing a long combat sequence, so it was "only" a few hours of game time for me.

What's weird is that I don't recall doing anything different. Every time, I come to Caed Nua, swap out Aloth for Kana, and then do a level or 2 of Endless Paths. I revert in Brighthollow, but generally use the "H" key to pull up the stronghold menu to swap out characters. Up until today, the game didn't eat any inventory - just reset my stats for the "new" party members.

Considering that Kana is also bugged vis a vis the "Armed to the Teeth" talent (which has disappeared), I am shelving the game until the solution is found - it's just a little too shaky for me, and it sounds like I won't have to wait too long.

Playing steam with latest non-beta. Went to do a couple of Od Nua levels, hit the stronghold, leveled up my hires, and then swapped them out, and retrieved Kana. He came out completely sans inventory/equipped items. Like, naked. Only figured it out once he died at the large encounter in level 5.

Kind of a deal breaker. Does the bug strip inventory on save / swap, or is it when I swap him back in? Do you need help reproing this, or save files? I'm not even sure where/when it occurred.

Let me know how I can help.