I just realized that if casters get level 1 and 2 spells as per encounter instead of per rest in the upper levels, then doesn't that make the bonus casting talents utterly worthless?

The only reason why I got them is because I wanted to increase the amount of time I could run around before resting, but now that I've just hit level 7 I've realized that fights end fast enough that I would never ever need 5 castings of a level 1 spell at level 9 every fight.

So now I'm left with that ugly feeling of "Well that was a trap, reroll?"

Am I missing something here or are these talents actually completely worthless in the long run?

Yes i think its definately a trap choice unless the fight lasts long and there is at least one effective late game low level spell in that spell level. I think it needs a balance fix. My suggestion is :

talent 1 : +1 bonus spell for spell levels 1 and 6

Talent 2 : +1 bonus spell for spell levels 2 and 5

Talent 3 : +1 bonus spell for spell levels 3 and 4

This will make them roughly equal in power.

Reroll? Why would you restart just because you took one suboptimal talent? That way the only way you could ever finish the game is by reading several walkthroughs. 

Extra spell feats were often useless in D&D CRPGs as well and I suspect they're really a convenience option for people who really want it, just like an extra quick item slot talent.

Wait what? Do casters get now lvl 1/2/3 turned to per encounter at some point? and if yes - at which? This indeed needs to be communicated better.

As for useless talent - there are many trap talents, there are talents that shine early on and are wasted later and talents that early don't do much but later shine. Choose wisely. The additional spell isn't (all that) useless, think about what it allows on all those lower levels when it was still per rest.

Edited by Veevoir

Reroll? Why would you restart just because you took one suboptimal talent? That way the only way you could ever finish the game is by reading several walkthroughs. 

Extra spell feats were often useless in D&D CRPGs as well and I suspect they're really a convenience option for people who really want it, just like an extra quick item slot talent.

Some people like me are reroll-aholics.

From having rerolled a wizard a lot, I'm finding that upgrading the blast is the best way of spending their talents. The bonus spell slot barely matters, and the grimoire slam is too close range and keeps putting the squishy wizards in danger. Upgrading the blast makes them much better in longer battles as they can just spam wand attacks for decent aoe damage.

• Like 1

Some people like me are reroll-aholics.

From having rerolled a wizard a lot, I'm finding that upgrading the blast is the best way of spending their talents. The bonus spell slot barely matters, and the grimoire slam is too close range and keeps putting the squishy wizards in danger. Upgrading the blast makes them much better in longer battles as they can just spam wand attacks for decent aoe damage.

Agreed on the blast. it is vital to have upgraded blast not to waste spells in trash mob encounters. And do some decent damage at the same time.

As for grimoire slam - think about shadows/phantoms. This is not an offensive skill, but defensive - it breaks engagement and allows you to run. Shame the attack isn't faster.