Black Hammer Smithery inflated prices and Cloaks missing (Linux)

El Zoido

Question

Hello!

Just wanted to mention two bugs I came across:

1) The prices in Black Hammer Smithery are suddenly (?) massively inflated. Every item they sell is ~100x more expensive than in other locations and I could get 10x more from items I sell to them. I think it started after I brought back the missing shipment.

2) Cloaks are not displayed. When my characters wear a cloak, it's invisible in the game. It seems to be the same bug as in the Mac version, only I'm playing on Linux (Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64bit, NVidia GTX460 with NVidia drivers).

17 answers to this question

Oh, you mean such a thing? https://xaratas.privatepaste.com/download/f8d021350f

Yes, i thought about abusing it, buying all from the Forge in gilded vale and bring it to the Black Hound.

Cloaks are a known issue for linux. Hopefully fixed in the next Patch.

Edited by Xaratas

Yepp, that's what it looks loke for me, as well.

Didn't want to abuse it for obvious reasons.

I suspect that it's because you would receive a discount, which however get's either applied wrongly or is using a wrong multiplier (probably due to a typing error).

As a programmer myself I could not find rest with this bug.

My Hypothesis: You are messing with the locale. The English language use the English locale setting. Especially that the decimal divider is the point.

The other translations (at least German) use the European local settings. There the decimal divider is the comma.

Now you have somehow a string parsing in the reduced prices calculation which use this locale.

Result: Camping Supplies have a ground price of 50, normally they are sold for 50*(1+0,5), if you get a discount in the black hound they are sold for 50*(1+0,5-0,25). Now you managed it to parse this factor through a locale dependent function, and it becomes 50*1,25=62,5 in English and 50*125.0=6250 in German.

I think the massive screen shaking on Linux is exactly the same problem:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73862-linux-extreme-amount-of-screen-shaking-on-some-spells/?do=findComment&comment=1614923

Well, I had an issue with water levels in Ondra's Gift, which definitely was connected to localization settings. Starting PoE by 'LANG=C ./start.sh' fixed this by allegedly forcing it to the "right" locale. However it doesn't seem to help with the prizes bug. Not tested screen shaking yet.

Edited by El Zoido

As a programmer myself I could not find rest with this bug.

My Hypothesis: You are messing with the locale. The English language use the English locale setting. Especially that the decimal divider is the point.

The other translations (at least German) use the European local settings. There the decimal divider is the comma.

Someone get this man a cookie!

Unfortunately the multipliers are parsed when you complete the quest.  So you will have the issue and it will persist unless you are running in English when you complete the quest.  We should be able to fix it in patch 1.05 (EDIT: it is in 1.04)

• Like 2

I finally have the patch. Gog was a bit slow, but managed to skip 2 versions this way.

The screen shaking is fixed, now the spell of Kana is useable without waiting 20 seconds. Maybe it wasnt the same bug, maybe this one got a fix, who knows.

Ramains the water in Ondra's Gift and the prices.

@BMac

Why are the multipliers parsed in the first place? Why are they not stored as numbers?

Edited by Xaratas

After the quest for the black hammer smithery my prices are to buy the stuff are also around 200-500k for magical stuff.

Savegame: https://xaratas.privatepaste.com/download/8451ef96f8

Same here.

I'm on linux. Game in English. Operating System in Brazilian Portuguese. As soon as I turn in the blacksmith quest, prices go nuts.

I've got a savegame ready to try. Just load it, check the prices are right, turn the quest in, see the prices are wrong. http://www.mediafire.com/download/zv5nvzv2xssgm77/b37f9eef49074627ba7aadf814bdfbf2_8331583_BlackHammerSmithery.savegame

@BMac

Why are the multipliers parsed in the first place? Why are they not stored as numbers?

All the quest and conversation data is plaintext XML to facilitate modding.

I discovered something.

I play on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. The operating system is in Brazilian Portuguese and the game is in English. I've never changed the language and I'm still affected by the bug when I turn the stolen goods quest.

Well I've found and old savegame I could test it. If I just go to the blacksmith and turn the quest in, prices inflate (remember I'm playing in English). But if I change the language to any of the avaliable languages, than change back to english and turn the quest in, price get the discount.

Also this does not persist if I close the game. I have to go to the process of english -> other language -> english for the bug to not affect.

Hope this was helpfull information.

savegame you can test this http://www.mediafire.com/download/zv5nvzv2xssgm77/b37f9eef49074627ba7aadf814bdfbf2_8331583_BlackHammerSmithery.savegame

Extremely High Prices in Certain Stores
  • Switch the language to English or gain positive reputation in the area
    If the game is played in some languages other than English, some shops will have drastically inflated prices. The only known ways to set the prices to be normal again is to set the language to English or to gain reputation with the area or the shop owner specifically, giving you a discount and therefore forcing the prices to their correct state.

This does not work for me. As I said I'm already playing in English. Also just did the "A mothers plea" and prices are still inflated.

A workaround is to set you locale environment to "C" before starting the game (e.g. start.sh on GOG version or a wrapper script). See my post http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72546-bug-reputation-level-gilded-vale/?p=1607066

This will not fix your savegame, once the prices are corrupted, but will prevent the bug from surfacing in other places of the game (basically every quest that gives you a discount).

Edited by neovatar

A workaround is to set you locale environment to "C" before starting the game (e.g. start.sh on GOG version or a wrapper script). See my post http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72546-bug-reputation-level-gilded-vale/?p=1607066

This will not fix your savegame, once the prices are corrupted, but will prevent the bug from surfacing in other places of the game (basically every quest that gives you a discount).

Thank you for your help.