What class are you doing your first play through with?

I suppose it's not critical what class you are since this is a party based game, but the pc is usually the most powerful since it's the one you create from scratch so... which class has the most draw for you?

I always, ALWAYS play a wizard class in these games, but I've always wanted to play one of those d&d psionics and it seems like that is kind of what a cipher is with mental powers.  I was turned off by the idea of having to strike the enemy with weapons since I did not want to play as a battlemage, but I've since learned you can use ranged weapons to build up their powers as well so that is doable.

My trepidation over the wizard lies with the reports I've heard that the druid is better, similar if not stronger power plus healing and shapeshifting....

I guess the wizard is more diverse since they can swap out grimoires, but it does cast a pall on my usual first class choice.

And then there is the monk.  The monk is the only fighter that I've ever enjoyed playing, I always liked the idea of my characters powers coming from within, NOT from external weapons.  That is what both mages and monks have in common.  THEY are the power, not their trinkets and metal sticks.  Choices choices.

I've already made it through the first area as a wizard, but I may reroll a cipher and druid to see how they play as well.  

I always first play as paladin, then usually ranger. I am playing a high intelligence and resolve paladin right now. He seems to do very well against human/melee opponents and the more supernatural/magic-using the opponent the worse he is.

Well, it appears that you can't play with much of anything else other than a fighter.  So far I've started with a Cipher and a Wizard.  The Cipher's survival is slightly higher than the Wizard, but so far, a couple boars destroy me and the other dude in two seconds. (On Normal).

Do I *have* to hire someone from the Inn?  Because it's a bit ridiculous that on the map directly after the Gilded Vale, I can barely take on any of the enemy groups.

I'm not opposed to a challenge but getting two-shotted is ridiculous.

Not everyone wants their main character to be a fighter.

I also can't imagine they have made all of this early game stuff hard so that you would have to come back later.

Well, it appears that you can't play with much of anything else other than a fighter.  So far I've started with a Cipher and a Wizard.  The Cipher's survival is slightly higher than the Wizard, but so far, a couple boars destroy me and the other dude in two seconds. (On Normal).

Do I *have* to hire someone from the Inn?  Because it's a bit ridiculous that on the map directly after the Gilded Vale, I can barely take on any of the enemy groups.

I also can't imagine they have made all of this early game stuff hard so that you would have to come back later.

You can pick up two companions in Gilded Vale--a fighter and a mage. I started as a Cipher to, also on normal, and once I got those two companions I first cleared the screen before Gilded Vale with no problems and continued on from there, picking up a healer as I went along and eventually making a barbarian in the inn for a total of 5 party members before heading in to Raedric's Keep.

I am trying out a Cipher and using ranged combat to start.  Been getting snuffed like a cheap  cigar.

Just added a sword and shield when the baddies get close - we'll see how that goes tonight.

Need to get  better with the controls too - killed  several allies with friendly fire.

Enjoying the game and the graphical style!

You can pick up two companions in Gilded Vale--a fighter and a mage. I started as a Cipher to, also on normal, and once I got those two companions I first cleared the screen before Gilded Vale with no problems and continued on from there, picking up a healer as I went along and eventually making a barbarian in the inn for a total of 5 party members before heading in to Raedric's Keep.

OK, so this must be my problem.  After two starts, I have missed the fighter in Gilded Vale (unless you are referring to the one available companion purchasable in the Inn; I have yet to attempt that).

My character is a Chanter, and I'm having a very good go of it, so I don't think you are correct in saying you can only make a go of it as a Fighter. Use the pause system a lot - as in, all the time.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my Hearth Orlan Chanter so far. Now that I'm getting a larger party and more invocations, it's getting very fun. I'm building him to use peasant weapons focus, in particular, the quarterstaff for the added reach. With the Orlan's "Minor threat" bonus (it adds a 10% chance of converting hits to crits when targeting the same enemy as an ally), fighting from the rear behind a guy like Eder is really quite useful. I've been converting more and more of my hits into crits with that ability.

My character is a Chanter, and I'm having a very good go of it, so I don't think you are correct in saying you can only make a go of it as a Fighter. Use the pause system a lot - as in, all the time.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my Hearth Orlan Chanter so far. Now that I'm getting a larger party and more invocations, it's getting very fun. I'm building him to use peasant weapons focus, in particular, the quarterstaff for the added reach. With the Orlan's "Minor threat" bonus (it adds a 10% chance of converting hits to crits when targeting the same enemy as an ally), fighting from the rear behind a guy like Eder is really quite useful. I've been converting more and more of my hits into crits with that ability.

Well I just found Eder.  I talked to him before talking to the hung dwarf lady and the conversation was entirely different.  Didn't realize he was the other guy.

Well I just found Eder.  I talked to him before talking to the hung dwarf lady and the conversation was entirely different.  Didn't realize he was the other guy.

Location of another character if you're still having trouble. No spoiler but a location.

Nevermind, I can't seem to be able to figure out how to post a spoiler tag. :\

Edited by MattSanderson

Well, it was hard to decide, but in the end I picked up Cipher, because I wanted to try play one of the Obsidians original classes. The next game for me will be wizard.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Location of another character if you're still having trouble. No spoiler but a location.

Nevermind, I can't seem to be able to figure out how to post a spoiler tag. :\

Thanks though.  Like I said, found Eder and things are much better.  I also didn't realize that the mercenaries were creatable.  I thought you would be handed something random, so that is always a choice if I need more tank.

I think, you ultimately missed my issue in that I didn't have a fighter, and if you don't have a fighter, it definitely isn't playable.  I was just missing Eder since I talked to him before talking to the Dwarf and so I didn't have a fighter.

I had a hard time choosing but decided on a fighter tank build (dual wielder). I really want to try out a paladin tank build, have

one created but saving him for my second playthrough. So far I'm just having a blast playing this game with my fighter.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´