- Either voice the entire game or don't voice it at all. Partial voice-overs are a bit annoying. Although actors are great.

For more "wants" I'll have to finish the game and see what is planned for the expansion. As we know, the expansion will be more stuff added to the base game, no continuation of the story, so many stuff I guess will be thrown in and we'll have the "full" Pillars experience.

Edited by Sedrefilos

My biggest "do want" features for a sequel/expansion:

• A simple map editor tool, which allows to import custom made backgrounds (along with normal, depth, albedo and final map; Maya mia_material_x render allows to output all those maps, so theoretically (and practically) we can create our own landscapes) and place pathing map, encounters and objects on top of it
  • More companions and maybe a romance story or two to finally shut the promancers up
  • More stronghold content, possibly also different strongholds depending on selected class (kinda like BG2 did)
  • And yes, I agree, more party banter. Game definitely could have had more of this.
  • Voice acting for localized versions; it's strange to have english voiceover on localized texts
Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 1

I personally like the voice overs in PoE. Wouldn't mind even more of them actually!

But what I really want (and wanted in the IE games too actually) is:

Other adventuring parties roaming the land. Some can also be "evil" or antagonistic in some way and you can meet them, interact with them and fight them in random locations.
It's just something I always wanted to see in such games. I find it weird that only the PC party roams around in a whole country. Of course in BG you'd have a couple in set locations but still :)

Generally stuff like that to increase immersion. More awesome legendary items hidden away or protected by mythical beings. Locations that are completely optional and can be missed. Enemies that are extremely hard and will be an impressive achievement to beat. Stuff like that :)

• Like 1

I understand  that this is a american company , still would love if the voice overs didn't have  this thick american accent. i can't help but cringe every time they speak . other then that i am extremely pleased with the game sofar. Oh and in poe i want more music from justin, its so good.

• Like 1

they might as well play a sandbox game...there should be a reason a game is made and certain design choices (to include or exclude) to adhere to the vision of the game.

If I need to respect endlessly to enjoy my game, I shouldn't be 'entitled' to this every game I play because that's how I want to enjoy the game. The devs would go crazy if everyone had their way and we probably wouldn't get a pretty refined article in PoE. Personally, I played BG 2, four to five times over, and enjoyed every single play through (that's me).

My point is we can't have our cake and eat it.

Haha, on the other hand, exploits are another thing. I love games like PoE, where it isn't sandboxed. A system is in place. Mechanics are there for players to work within. I am exploring ways to push the limits of this mechanics or system, discover OP combos, builds, even exploits if possible. That is the fun for me. Its up to how one want to play but still within the system designed.

You "shouldn't" be allowed to save-scum, either, but you can, and most people do, and likely wouldn't play if they couldn't at all and had to rely on fixed save locations and times.

The solution to respecs is simple - make them like Iron Man/Trial By Iron, i.e. an out-of-game option set at the time of starting the game. Defaults to "No respecs", and you could have two other settings "Respec on level" - i.e. get to redo your entire character when you level or "Respec at will".

That way you will never be bothered or tempted by them, but people who want them, will have them. It's an actual win/win.

(In-game respec quests are a dumb half-arsed solution, imho)

Edited by Eurhetemec

I understand  that this is a american company , still would love if the voice overs didn't have  this thick american accent. i can't help but cringe every time they speak . other then that i am extremely pleased with the game sofar. Oh and in poe i want more music from justin, its so good.

Whichever accent would be "strage", since this is a fantasy world and people don't speak any english normally :p

But what I really want (and wanted in the IE games too actually) is:

Other adventuring parties roaming the land. Some can also be "evil" or antagonistic in some way and you can meet them, interact with them and fight them in random locations.

It's just something I always wanted to see in such games. I find it weird that only the PC party roams around in a whole country. Of course in BG you'd have a couple in set locations but still :)

Generally stuff like that to increase immersion. More awesome legendary items hidden away or protected by mythical beings. Locations that are completely optional and can be missed. Enemies that are extremely hard and will be an impressive achievement to beat. Stuff like that :)

I would like something like this but while travelling long distances - no fighting because random fights when your party is low on spells/food/rest are a pita and not fun.  More like some random encounters such as troubadours, refugees, farmers, travelling merchents.  People taking advantage of the fact that you have cleared maps/roads and who might tell you gossip which points to quests you might have missed in areas where you have already been or hints of quests from areas you have not been to yet.  Or just give you the option of being able to buy the items you need from a travelling merchant instead of having to continue to trek to the nearest town/village for supplies. 

Random encounters to give the world the illusion of more life basically, as currently it seems that you can travel for days across the map in game without interruption.

• Like 2

1 - New environments (desert, snow, swamp)

2 - Unique horror  places (Haunted manor, witch lair, etc)

3 - Stronghold improvements (add depth to the system)

4 - Missing Companions (Rogue, Barb and Monk).

5 - Higher level cap and critical path balance (raise enemy levels according to this)

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

- Sort out the inventory. This infinite thing is handy but stupid. Also, it is funny how you can't wear cloaks and amulets at the same time. At least make cloaks an cosmetic option. You did it with helmets (weird...).

- XP for killing enemies. I understand the logic for removing it, but it is, again, stupid. You're an adventurer, exploring and killing brings you XP, make you better at what you do. It is far more convincing that you'll become better at fighting by killing 100 xaurips, then by talking to one and resolving quest. This way, after the first time we play the game there is really no reason for us to stray out of the must-do path. Nothing to gain (as money isn't a problem), much to lose (real life time, in game resources etc). BG did the opposite. First time it was all about discovering and advancing story, every next time it was about uncovering every single detail in the game (and it was rewarding). Hence the replay-value. I still do my annual Let's play BG/TOSC/BG2/TOB. Can't see myself doing the same with PoE after I try out few more interesting classes. 

- Stronghold system. Think it out properly or remove it completely. 

- Companions. Less companions, more companion character and development. Maybe even go with five man party? Blasphemy! :)

- Classes. Think them out, redefine them, make them more unique and playable.

- Statistics. You need to stick with a single way of presenting the numbers, and it needs to be more understandable. Sometimes it is comical to see wall of random words and numbers. Even BG did this much, much better.

- Story. Can we skip on moments like "Hey sorry, I forgot to wear my mask, can I borrow yours, even if this is the first time you see me? I really need to be present on super-secret meeting of this clandestine evil-doing organization no one has been able to infiltrate for centuries, so I can advance the main plot. Thanx bro!" in the future? Also, I have a feeling Obsidian is doing the same story development over and over again. Didn't work for me in NWN2, doesn't work now. It a decent story, but just doesn't pack a punch like some other do because it has been done countless times. 

- Humor. Big part of IE games. Almost non-existing in PoE. Some goes for more extensive party banter.

- Resting. Remove this rest mechanism that has no logic but to restrict players in very cheap and time consuming way.

- Combat. Visual improvement so we can actually see what is happening when there is many combatants. Companion AI. Needs to go slower. Not in "slow motion" way. 

- Magic. Present system and spells are just... boring. Especially compared to IE games. And... fireball, fireball, fireball!

- World. It seems like we're reading same rudimentary stuff over and over again, without knowing the basic thing about how this world looks like, what the map looks like, is there some history besides one uprising, and one dead God... Also, needs to be more populated and real. Sometimes, when you walk the city it looks like an perfectly clean empty scene. I know devs are doing this from the begging, but in all IE games it felt like you are important, but it's still a small corner of the world. In PoE it feels like whole world is composed from two cities, two villages and two barely present foreign entities. 

- Voice acting. This on/off thing is not working. 

@Jimmious - There's a group of adventurers/highwaymen who you can meet at Magren's Fork later in the game. Not that this fills out your desire, mind, but it's worth noting.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Yay, let's have the respec argument again. Just put it in a savegame editor for crying out loud. deadhorse.gif

My list:

• Per-character stealth with vision cones instead of circles.
  • Counterspell features, not necessarily dedicated counters, but buffs countering thematically appropriate debuffs, e.g. a buff to Will could also dispel Confused, Frightened, Charmed, etc., and a buff to movement speed could counter Hobbled, Stuck, Paralyzed etc.
  • Remove the out-of-combat restrictions on spells and abilities. The durations are short enough that they won't become rote anyway.
  • Fix the Chanter. He takes too long to get to the Invocations. By the time he gets to use one, the fight is over, or as good as, but they're his coolest abilities.
  • Buff the wizard. The iconic Fireball is anemic. The damaging spells should be on par with the druid's, which is currently the nuker par excellence (and should NOT be nerfed).
Edit: and, most importantly

BRING BACK PIRATE PISTOLS!

I want to dual-wield a saber and pistol. BOOM! Slash! BOOM! It worked in one of the BB builds but you ... unprintables ... misdiagnosed it as a bug rather than a feature. Pirate pistols back!

I'd like some of the Wizard direct-damage spells to be buffed, as well. Right now the Druid is the best nuker in the game and the Wizard should at least be able to give him a run for his money at times. Sure, spamming Slicken after level 9 is plenty cheesy, but sometimes I really do just want to sling some Fireballs and Corrosive Clouds.

Barring that, as an inveterate Mage player I'm most looking forward to higher tiers of spells: Horrid Wilting, Finger of Death, etc, and especially epic spells (Xth level in the spellbook UI right now). Definitely thinking of Time Stop, Comet, and so on.

Edited by Khrysophylax

Not too much emphasis on companions please. Customizing my own party is too much fun for me to even consider taking companions along.

More scripted interactions is my one big wish. Combat is very nice and everything, but putting my character's skills to use more often would be awesome. This inculdes dialogue checks (hello, Tim!). Especially, more race and class specific dialogue.

• Like 1

Well, I mean, if we're listing our pie-in-the-sky dreams:

Complete rework of the Attributes system so that every character doesn't have one of two builds without gimping themselves in combat.

End to Engagement or MUCH smarter AI (either will work fine and fix the problem)

Companion characters that are actually good at their job

Ability to respec, even if it's limited in some way

Solo stealth

End to current camping mechanics and the addition of something more meaningful and less of a chore (like random encounters)

Ability to pre-cast spells before combat

Okay, so now that that's out of the way, things that I'd like to see in an xpac that might actually happen:

More Stronghold interactivity. Already included content is great, but more more more please. It's one of the novel features in this game that actually works.

More meaningful crafting, maybe allowing us to put together some legendary weapons of yore involving quests for rare mats and such

Obviously more companions and more stories and more landmasses of various types 

More varied enemy types...give us Aberrant/Cthulhu style horrors from the deep! :D

Edited by DragonDai
  • Like 2

BRING BACK PIRATE PISTOLS!

I want to dual-wield a saber and pistol. BOOM! Slash! BOOM! It worked in one of the BB builds but you ... unprintables ... misdiagnosed it as a bug rather than a feature. Pirate pistols back!

Yea, so much this.

Also, I like to think about it more like BOOM *Slash* BOOM *Twang*

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

• Better, more interactive stronghold - let me hire some workers (the throne shouldn't be able to hire workers on it's own, I should go to the village and hire people for work before being able to build anything), let me hire a cook for my inn, let them move around the keep and do some stuff - take care of plants and trees, swipe the floor, clean the books from dust, etc. Perhaps also add some animals like birds that would be disturbed if you come too close. Your keep should be alive and change depending on a time of day.
  • More interaction with companions - and when they are sent into the keep - give them something to do there. At least let them walk around during a day and sleep in a bed during the night.
  • More stat, race and sex-depended dialogs - we have so many different combinations yet I feel like it's not being used often enough.
  • More people walking by or sitting / laying on a ground - especially backer NPCs. Would be good to make them walk around or visit shops at certain hours.
  • Spells that add modifiers making difference - So for example Blizzard should reduce damage from fire spells or water-based spells should increase damage from electricity-based spells but reduce damage from corrode-based spells.
  • Weather system in some locations - eg. occasional rain or fog or cloudy day (with shadows of clouds moving through the map)
  • More of this awesome music? Please? Additional Combat soundtracks would be great, perhaps tracks that depend on a types of opponents? (eg. different for shadows and spectres, different for dragons and drakes, different for Xaurip?)
  • (least important) More people to put in a jail and whatever you can put someone in a jail or not should be decided by your stats, not be fully automated - Pretty much every sentient boss should be jail-able, only they should do checks against different stats (eg. knight against Might, mage against Will, etc. don't be afraid to put very high-end checks even in early bosses). Also if enemy is vastly outnumbered by much more powerful party - he should either escape or try to surrender into the jail. No more "6 adventurers vs 1 scientist" fights to the death.

What in my opinion should not be in a game from stuff mentioned

• Respec - way too immersion breaking, feels more like something from an MMO than a proper RPG.
  • More classes / races / sub-races - we already have plenty.
  • Arrows, bullets and bolts - needless micromanagement.
  • Multiplayer - waste of time and money, I'd much rather have it spent on making better single player experience.
  • Changing or removing Health & Endurance mechanic - it works brilliantly, really does the job great with balancing the game and preventing pointless save-load-save-load cycle.
Edited by Sky_walker
  • Like 1

I am still very early in the game, will finally have a chance to play it fully tomorrow when I get home from work.  So my info might be off.

PoE has too many white male party members

I am kinda with the person who rolled their eyes on this.  The way its worded sounds like the same agenda pushing wording I have seen a million times on other gaming sites and related media pushed by certain groups.  I have no problem with games including different diverse characters IF IT MAKES SENSE in the setting.  However, I am strongly against some sort of divesity quota and definetly do not want it (or any type of forced political correctness) shoehorned in the game setting.   If the location and setting is heavily white, that probably means many companions will be, so what?  Go to a different part of the world and I suspect the flip will be true and whites humans will be the minority or maybe not even there at all.  Again, if the world has nothing but white humans, so what?  Again there is nothing wrong with that either.   Sorry, getting off my soap box now.

Now back to the original question.

What I would like to see.

-  More playable unique races that do not fall into tolkein fantasy.

-  Make wizards and their powers more interesting.

-  Make Spells and abilities that you can use outside of combat.  (teleporation, phase shift to walk through doors/walls, summon spirit or other entity to communicate with, magic that affects dialog options)..etc.

-  More stuff to collect, find in locations

-  Kill the horrible rest mechanic

-  Something I REALLY woud love to see is a way to create your own custom spells.  Something like what was done in Elder Scrolls: oblivion (one of the few rare good things in it).  I mean, that is kind of the whole point of wizards, discover and create magic.  Restrict its use to wizards of certain level and the materials to cost.

Will probably add more after I get a good playthru tomorrow.

One option I would like is something seen in some jRPGs - when you go into a bar, your NPC characters all leave you and hang around doing various things inside or even having discussions with each other. It gives them a sense of having their own personalities and the world just doesn't revolve around you.

• Like 3

Something that could be improved from PoE :

Drop the recovery speed system from armor. I hate it. I don't like being rewarded so significantly for my characters walking around naked. 

And if I'm going to go in on Kickstarter for the next project you guys need to hire someone to overhaul your QA department.

Edited by jacksj1
  • Like 1

For an expansion/update

-Way more NPCs in towns/villages. They don't have to be fully written with conversation options, just a quick comment like the Justiciars have for example.

-Some more maps that are good for sneaky characters. I loved soloing through Raedric's Hold without being seen!

-Massive improvements to the Stronghold!...It is a good idea barely fleshed out.

-More imagination and risks taken with the interactive story bits. They were great and I would love more of them.

-Visiting a new area/Town that is different to the usual areas.