Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pillars of Eternity Expansion/Sequel Wishlist

Premature Too Soon Wishful Thinking Pointless Minsc and Boo are with you I think my mind is broken Superfluous Tags Electric Boogaloo It was the name of his sled

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Add Cadegund, Forton and the Orlan Cipher detective back in the game.

• Posbi, Darkpriest, White Phoenix and 1 other like this

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1396 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So: what do you want to see in the next big Infinity-Engine style game from Obsidian? Be it the sequel or one of the two expansions? (Probably the sequel: from what Obsidian has said, the expansions are likely to be -very- small in scope).
-
I'm pretty damned happy with Pillars of Eternity, so my wishlist really doesn't include all that much--and I'm fairly confident everything I do want will be delivered. So, er, anyway, here's my list.

-

• More party banter/dialog.
  • Along that line: maybe have a "relationship" style quest w/ lots of dialog--not necessarily romantic in nature. 
  • More terrain diversity (IE deserts, tundra, steppes, etc.).
  • More awesome fantasy weather like Biawics(sp?).
  • More party diversity (with so many awesome races to choose from, PoE has too many white male party members).
  • A respec option.
  • More and more powerful magic spells!

-

...So what do you want to see added to the next game?

Part banter - ok, but do not overdo it

No romance plz - it is really good as it is now, i like it much better, for online dating of freaks go to Bioware plz

Sure, I'd love to, buuuut, that would mean we would have to move to different parts of the world or some other "plane" for a time

I'd love to see more environmental effects, like the ones that were planned initially (animated grass and water, etc), weather like rain etc would be nice too

Are you F stupid? there is 1 - I will spell it ONE, white male companion which FITS the area of the story.... are you on drugs or something? - besides get your ass of the representations, if they want, they could make ALL party members like that if it makes sense, same like they can make all vallian republics representation or other stuff.

No respec - pick and live with it. you have plenty of options for design and enough time on level ups to think about what you are choosing.

Obviously once going up in levels you will get more powerful spells and abilities in the expac.

Ekaros

Ekaros

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've just reached Defiance Bay, so perhaps there will be something similar (I specifically am not reading up on game mechanics, etc, but am discovering it as I go), but one thing I really, really miss from Baldur's Gate 2 was the concept of reconstructing historic weapons.

I loved finding a sword pommel in an old desk draw, a broken hilt somewhere else, and that itch it gave me to keep exploring until I found the blade and could have it reforged.  Or the bow and bowstring to a legendary bow.  In BG2:ToB it was.. Cespenar..?  That reforged these types of items?

It both encouraged a person to explore, and really rewarded them for doing so.  I haven't played another game since that had something like that, it's always been fairly generic crafting systems.

There is atleast two of these. One is simple, and one is much longer time. Special items are fun though...

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1396 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Add Cadegund, Forton and the Orlan Cipher detective back in the game.

Yeah, I was sooo much sad of not seeing the chick with a gun in the game :( I had to give the gun to the other priest companion but it does not feel the same :(

Mungri

Mungri

The Lord God of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

3D backgrounds!

SeekDWay

SeekDWay

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

* More banter

* More mature party members

* AI Improvements

* More Bell

* Base Stats Scrapped

* Engagement Polish

* More Talents for Chanters

* Endurance buff for everyone

• FacesOfMu likes this

Jerm

Jerm

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

• A respec option.

LPRsFOq.jpg

I cannot for the life of me understand what people have against a Respec option.

The point of it being an optional feature is that people who dislike the idea can either turn it off (if it's in the Options menu) or simply elect not to use it.

Why would you deprive those who want a respec option of it, just so you have the ability to not use it ?

It being an option, by definition, allows you to not use it.

Refusing that it be implemented outright however, preserves your ability to not use it while also preventing all those that want to Respec from doing so.

Your current stance takes away from others, while not giving you anything.

I refer you to the whole lot of BG2 players who refused to play Kensai/Mage, or to use Celestial Fury (or both \o/ ), because that was game breaking.

That's the whole beauty of it, having the ability to refrain yourself from using these, while also letting people have fun their own way.

Hell, you could even get an achievement for not respeccing in your playthrough !

Haha i was one of those Kensai/Mage with Celestial Fury and Silver Sword mind you...

I feel respecing kinda takes away from the immersion of the character you are, the interactions you've been through, etc. That is entirely my own opinion and feeling. 

To justify my feelings would be some might take advantage of respecing, just before a scripted interaction or a conversation and reallocate some points into certain perks, to get past it etc. Having your character fixed and any growth made permanent adds to that element of you are who you are in the game, mistakes or successes wherewithal.

And just who are we to prevent these people from ruining their game experience ?

Hell, perhaps that's how they enjoy playing the game, respeccing at every corner just to get past a single dialogue.

And the worst part is, people kill the game's replayability for themselves this way, because they spoil the surprise of "what if I'd had 15 intellect ? bonus item ? more gold ? come on there had to be something... oh god I'm picking 13 intel next time, inn + food buff and I'm so finding out".

But then, that's their life to live and their game to play...

Did none of you exploit the enchant/alchemy loop in Skyrim ?

Make a 100% chameleon armor set in Oblivion ?

Savescum on Gaxkang until he drops Fade Wall in DAO ?

Make an Arcane Warrior and solo the whole game, until they patched the shield to turn off at 0 mana ?

Use potions of speed to kite Drizzt around while your team pelts him with arrows for roughly 5 minutes ?

Reroll your BG2 stats for 53 minutes to get that perfect 18/18/18/18/18/3 ? (yes, you can, you can even get 18/18/18/18/6 , which is a waste of time because the Ring of Human Influence boosts you up to 18 cha).

Pickpocket Kangaxx before he turns hostile to get 2x Ring of Gaxx ?

Cheese your way through ToB with a Kensai/Mage ?

Drop roughly 20 traps around Firkraag to one shot him ?

Cast Projected Image with your sorcerer, then Immunity: Divination, then cast spells all day, exhausting the image's repertoire instead of your own ?

I could go on for hours but the point is it's up to one how one wants to play.

Besides, the question in itself is moot, someone will come up with a respec mod (or a save editor) if the option isn't included in the game.

Devs may as well do it correctly, integrate it with the world's lore, and possibly set restrictions (prohibitive gold cost, limited uses -which basically achieves the same- , achievement for not respeccing...).

By the way a game comes to mind where respec was actually natively included (well, DLC-natively), and although I've been exceedingly disappointed by Dragon Age 2, including an official respec option allowed me to test ranged rogue vs melee rogue, without having to replay the whole thing.

Which, believe you me, I never would have been able to stomach, but I digress.

Edit: Oh btw there's also a native Respec option in Divinity Original Sin, however flawed it may be (losing all your spells and abilities and having to find/buy them again, the horror...).

they might as well play a sandbox game...there should be a reason a game is made and certain design choices (to include or exclude) to adhere to the vision of the game.

If I need to respect endlessly to enjoy my game, I shouldn't be 'entitled' to this every game I play because that's how I want to enjoy the game. The devs would go crazy if everyone had their way and we probably wouldn't get a pretty refined article in PoE. Personally, I played BG 2, four to five times over, and enjoyed every single play through (that's me).

My point is we can't have our cake and eat it.

Haha, on the other hand, exploits are another thing. I love games like PoE, where it isn't sandboxed. A system is in place. Mechanics are there for players to work within. I am exploring ways to push the limits of this mechanics or system, discover OP combos, builds, even exploits if possible. That is the fun for me. Its up to how one want to play but still within the system designed.

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"PoE has too many white male party members"
*massive eye roll*

So? You can play a 6'2" blue female warrior from a different species. God forbid too many white guys/gals are in the same place at the same time.

That's neither here nor there. The first three companions are white men, and all of the women are exotic foreigners. It's hardly the worst thing ever, but it was noticeable to me, and I would've been pleased to see a counter to Durance's misogyny show up before Caed Nua.

I'm not complaining about Durance, who is fantastically written and strangely endearing, or about any of the companions, all of whom I like. But, if you're tuned to it, the disparity gets really noticeable around the time Durance joins.
  • Ultimo Noressi and FacesOfMu like this

pmonti80

pmonti80

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There are several options between infinite respecs and no respec options, especially when the game is so counterintuitive in the attribute section.

I agree with lots of criticism made in this thread, I baked the game and this is not the game I had in mind two and a half years ago. I will play it and probably like it (specially with the price I paid) but not what I had in mind when baking the game.

Jimmious

Jimmious

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

3D backgrounds!

No.
e39.png

• Ultimo Noressi, sorophx, PrimeJunta and 3 others like this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

- Either voice the entire game or don't voice it at all. Partial voice-overs are a bit annoying. Although actors are great.

For more "wants" I'll have to finish the game and see what is planned for the expansion. As we know, the expansion will be more stuff added to the base game, no continuation of the story, so many stuff I guess will be thrown in and we'll have the "full" Pillars experience.

Edited by Sedrefilos, 31 March 2015 - 01:20 AM.

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

My biggest "do want" features for a sequel/expansion:

• A simple map editor tool, which allows to import custom made backgrounds (along with normal, depth, albedo and final map; Maya mia_material_x render allows to output all those maps, so theoretically (and practically) we can create our own landscapes) and place pathing map, encounters and objects on top of it
  • More companions and maybe a romance story or two to finally shut the promancers up
  • More stronghold content, possibly also different strongholds depending on selected class (kinda like BG2 did)
  • And yes, I agree, more party banter. Game definitely could have had more of this.
  • Voice acting for localized versions; it's strange to have english voiceover on localized texts

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 31 March 2015 - 01:31 AM.

• FacesOfMu likes this

Jimmious

Jimmious

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I personally like the voice overs in PoE. Wouldn't mind even more of them actually!

But what I really want (and wanted in the IE games too actually) is:

Other adventuring parties roaming the land. Some can also be "evil" or antagonistic in some way and you can meet them, interact with them and fight them in random locations.
It's just something I always wanted to see in such games. I find it weird that only the PC party roams around in a whole country. Of course in BG you'd have a couple in set locations but still :)

Generally stuff like that to increase immersion. More awesome legendary items hidden away or protected by mythical beings. Locations that are completely optional and can be missed. Enemies that are extremely hard and will be an impressive achievement to beat. Stuff like that :)

• FacesOfMu likes this

Marinus

Marinus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

I understand  that this is a american company , still would love if the voice overs didn't have  this thick american accent. i can't help but cringe every time they speak . other then that i am extremely pleased with the game sofar. Oh and in poe i want more music from justin, its so good.

• FacesOfMu likes this

Eurhetemec

Eurhetemec

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

they might as well play a sandbox game...there should be a reason a game is made and certain design choices (to include or exclude) to adhere to the vision of the game.

If I need to respect endlessly to enjoy my game, I shouldn't be 'entitled' to this every game I play because that's how I want to enjoy the game. The devs would go crazy if everyone had their way and we probably wouldn't get a pretty refined article in PoE. Personally, I played BG 2, four to five times over, and enjoyed every single play through (that's me).

My point is we can't have our cake and eat it.

Haha, on the other hand, exploits are another thing. I love games like PoE, where it isn't sandboxed. A system is in place. Mechanics are there for players to work within. I am exploring ways to push the limits of this mechanics or system, discover OP combos, builds, even exploits if possible. That is the fun for me. Its up to how one want to play but still within the system designed.

You "shouldn't" be allowed to save-scum, either, but you can, and most people do, and likely wouldn't play if they couldn't at all and had to rely on fixed save locations and times.

The solution to respecs is simple - make them like Iron Man/Trial By Iron, i.e. an out-of-game option set at the time of starting the game. Defaults to "No respecs", and you could have two other settings "Respec on level" - i.e. get to redo your entire character when you level or "Respec at will".

That way you will never be bothered or tempted by them, but people who want them, will have them. It's an actual win/win.

(In-game respec quests are a dumb half-arsed solution, imho)

Edited by Eurhetemec, 31 March 2015 - 01:46 AM.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I understand  that this is a american company , still would love if the voice overs didn't have  this thick american accent. i can't help but cringe every time they speak . other then that i am extremely pleased with the game sofar. Oh and in poe i want more music from justin, its so good.

Whichever accent would be "strage", since this is a fantasy world and people don't speak any english normally :p

Kiya

Kiya

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Steam:id/kiya
  • Kickstarter Backer

But what I really want (and wanted in the IE games too actually) is:

Other adventuring parties roaming the land. Some can also be "evil" or antagonistic in some way and you can meet them, interact with them and fight them in random locations.
It's just something I always wanted to see in such games. I find it weird that only the PC party roams around in a whole country. Of course in BG you'd have a couple in set locations but still :)

Generally stuff like that to increase immersion. More awesome legendary items hidden away or protected by mythical beings. Locations that are completely optional and can be missed. Enemies that are extremely hard and will be an impressive achievement to beat. Stuff like that :)

I would like something like this but while travelling long distances - no fighting because random fights when your party is low on spells/food/rest are a pita and not fun.  More like some random encounters such as troubadours, refugees, farmers, travelling merchents.  People taking advantage of the fact that you have cleared maps/roads and who might tell you gossip which points to quests you might have missed in areas where you have already been or hints of quests from areas you have not been to yet.  Or just give you the option of being able to buy the items you need from a travelling merchant instead of having to continue to trek to the nearest town/village for supplies. 

Random encounters to give the world the illusion of more life basically, as currently it seems that you can travel for days across the map in game without interruption.

• Idara and FacesOfMu like this

Mazisky

Mazisky

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

1 - New environments (desert, snow, swamp)

2 - Unique horror  places (Haunted manor, witch lair, etc)

3 - Stronghold improvements (add depth to the system)

4 - Missing Companions (Rogue, Barb and Monk).

5 - Higher level cap and critical path balance (raise enemy levels according to this)

Edited by Mazisky, 31 March 2015 - 02:35 AM.

• Azureblaze likes this

Awathorn

Awathorn

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts

- Sort out the inventory. This infinite thing is handy but stupid. Also, it is funny how you can't wear cloaks and amulets at the same time. At least make cloaks an cosmetic option. You did it with helmets (weird...).

- XP for killing enemies. I understand the logic for removing it, but it is, again, stupid. You're an adventurer, exploring and killing brings you XP, make you better at what you do. It is far more convincing that you'll become better at fighting by killing 100 xaurips, then by talking to one and resolving quest. This way, after the first time we play the game there is really no reason for us to stray out of the must-do path. Nothing to gain (as money isn't a problem), much to lose (real life time, in game resources etc). BG did the opposite. First time it was all about discovering and advancing story, every next time it was about uncovering every single detail in the game (and it was rewarding). Hence the replay-value. I still do my annual Let's play BG/TOSC/BG2/TOB. Can't see myself doing the same with PoE after I try out few more interesting classes. 

- Stronghold system. Think it out properly or remove it completely. 

- Companions. Less companions, more companion character and development. Maybe even go with five man party? Blasphemy! :)

- Classes. Think them out, redefine them, make them more unique and playable.

- Statistics. You need to stick with a single way of presenting the numbers, and it needs to be more understandable. Sometimes it is comical to see wall of random words and numbers. Even BG did this much, much better.

- Story. Can we skip on moments like "Hey sorry, I forgot to wear my mask, can I borrow yours, even if this is the first time you see me? I really need to be present on super-secret meeting of this clandestine evil-doing organization no one has been able to infiltrate for centuries, so I can advance the main plot. Thanx bro!" in the future? Also, I have a feeling Obsidian is doing the same story development over and over again. Didn't work for me in NWN2, doesn't work now. It a decent story, but just doesn't pack a punch like some other do because it has been done countless times. 

- Humor. Big part of IE games. Almost non-existing in PoE. Some goes for more extensive party banter.

- Resting. Remove this rest mechanism that has no logic but to restrict players in very cheap and time consuming way.

- Combat. Visual improvement so we can actually see what is happening when there is many combatants. Companion AI. Needs to go slower. Not in "slow motion" way. 

- Magic. Present system and spells are just... boring. Especially compared to IE games. And... fireball, fireball, fireball!

- World. It seems like we're reading same rudimentary stuff over and over again, without knowing the basic thing about how this world looks like, what the map looks like, is there some history besides one uprising, and one dead God... Also, needs to be more populated and real. Sometimes, when you walk the city it looks like an perfectly clean empty scene. I know devs are doing this from the begging, but in all IE games it felt like you are important, but it's still a small corner of the world. In PoE it feels like whole world is composed from two cities, two villages and two barely present foreign entities. 

- Voice acting. This on/off thing is not working. 

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

*deleted*

Edited by Messier-31, 31 March 2015 - 02:37 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Premature, Too Soon, Wishful Thinking, Pointless, Minsc and Boo are with you, I think my mind is broken, Superfluous Tags, Electric Boogaloo, It was the name of his sled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users