Perfect game unattainable due to backer achievement?

CyverViking

Question

I really don't much care about achievements personally, but if this is important to some people and the devs want to take this achievement out, that wouldn't bother me either.

I would also be okay with this. While achievements are not important to me, and while I strongly disagree with the entire mentality that places value upon them, it would not bother me if it was changed... again, because they're unimportant to me.

But I can see the other side of it here. Imagine a KS backer who DOES care about achievements. Losing this might matter to them. So I think it's a hard call.

--

Pretend everything I just said was brilliant.

Now stop pretending you have to pretend.

They could just rename the achievement to Old School or something and acknowledge all Backers.  Steam Users who weren't KS Backers are now "backing" the games success.

Old School: Thanks for all of your support!

I'm sure Obsidian weren't trying to purposefully exclude anyone with their Achievement decisions, they were just trying to acknowledge their backers again which is a good thing.

As someone who doesn't care about achievements (I got the GOG version), I find it disturbing how much some people care about them. But, I still find it odd to place an unobtainable achievement to prevent 100%. Has it been confirmed that that achievement is needed? I know there was at least one game that had achievements on the PS3/XBOX360 that had an achievement that wasn't needed to get "100%".

Not to mention that the people that chose the DRM-free version from GOG don't even have achievements, because they are a pretty ridiculous thing to begin with.  This game is an RPG, so it has plenty of replay value on its own merits than needing to artificially manufacture reasons to keep playing with achievements.  I, like so many others on here, can't fully reply to this type of nonsense without risking a ban.  Ugh.  I keep losing respect more and more for younger gamers.

• Like 2

If you are buying and playing games to get little icons to light up on your Steam profile...

Well, I have to stop that sentence there or I'll risk a ban.

Why ? there forums are pretty useless and full of trolls. Who gives a **** about bans. I kinda wish they would ban me so I wouldn't be able to play forum anymore. Then I might move on. The games XP curve is totally screwed and so is the AI and we got more people asking for  a higher level cap and caring about achievements than people complaining about the issues which make the game unplayable for anyone who can count their own fingers without saying um. Forum ban ftw I say.

More then likely they will be forced to changed the achievement by steam itself, as I'm assuming that just like Microsoft does with the XBOX, steam has some kind of "Rules" system in place for achievements where all achievements that ship with the game must be achievable.

So, all those "Play this game on this date" that are no longer achievable and stuff needs to be removed too? You can easily find dozens of Steam titles who have these kind of things, Valve included.

*shrug*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I don't have particular interest in achievements, but the obvious concept behind them is attaining them - so making an achievement unattainable is illogical.

And if a task was fulfilled before its assignment existed, nothing was really achieved.

The kickstarter achievement is not an achievement, but rather a badge. Therefore, it should not be listed as an achievement in the game.

For the people who care about achievements and who are not backers, listing the kickstarter support badge as an achievement undermines and defeats the point of having achievements in Pillars of Eternity.

I advise changing the kickstarter achievement to some other designation.

Don't know why this thread is in technical support, but anyway I also thought achievments were to be earned ingame after release for something difficult like "triple solo crown" and not pre-release for something that was not achieved ingame through effort.

So, all those "Play this game on this date" that are no longer achievable and stuff needs to be removed too? You can easily find dozens of Steam titles who have these kind of things, Valve included.

*shrug*

Well I think thats okay since it is after the release of a game but also kinda sad since the developer couldn't think of something more challenging then to log in on a specific date.

Edited by Xelo

I'm close to finishing my TCS, being this one the last one left.

What is funny is that when I shift+tab the game to see the Steam screen, I see the last achievement I got and the Backer's one right next to it. Under the backer's achievement it says "So close...". So, I don't think they're any intention on having that changed.

Anyways, I don't really mind about that. I find that to be kinda silly, yes. But I don't really care. If I can get through with TCS, I would have beaten every challenge. The one left is just not one of them :p.

Being a "Backer" should not have been an achievement in the first place.

Why not have an achievement for simply purchasing the game?  Hey, you bought the game and didn't DL the torrent, good for you.. achievement GET!!

Achievements should directly reflect IN GAME progress, not RL progress.

Ehh, you get achievements for starting the game up these days. Any way, the question is ... what makes Obsidian more money?

Unattainable achievements do create a lot of whining, but I'm not sure in actual sales numbers it will make more than a few dozen difference (I have in observed some devs deriving pleasure from pissing these people off, so the non monetary rewards might be relevant too). Some companies have removed unattainable achievements after the fact, but that has non zero cost too. It will piss off some of the people who have it.

In the end it's probably best to not do this for future games ... and leave it be in this game for now and occasionally kick Valve to implement something like an obsolete achievement class which doesn't count for 100%.

PS. anyone who truly wants to achieve the kickstarter backer achievement can achieve it of course ... you get both the kicktarter achievement and a small victory over your neurosis, it's like a double achievement if you simply cheat to get it :)

Edited by LeonKowalski